Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Europe has "alarming" rates of smoking, drinking and obesity - WHO

Bear in mind, I'm not American so not bashing here. I'm in the UK and I think we have the worst health record in Europe, especially for the obesity, and probably also for the alcohol.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...11R14820150922

Europe has "alarming" rates of smoking, drinking and obesity - WHO

Europe has the world's highest rates of drinking and smoking, and more than half its people are too fat, putting them at high risk of heart disease, cancer and other deadly illnesses, health officials warned on Wednesday.

In a report on health in its European Region, the World Health Organization (WHO) said that while many countries had reduced risk factors for premature death, rates of obesity, tobacco use and alcohol consumption "remain alarmingly high".

"Europeans drink and smoke more than anyone else. We are world champions - and it's not a good record," said Claudia Stein, WHO Europe's head of information, evidence, research and innovation.

She said this could have the most serious impact on young people, since their lives may be shortened unless something is done to reduce consumption of tobacco, alcohol and calories.

Just under 60 percent of people in the WHO's European region are either overweight or obese, and 30 percent use tobacco. Some 11 litres of pure alcohol is drunk per person per year.

Sounds like us Europeans are having a good time.

What's wrong with that?

Deleted
    Wait... what? Half of europeans are fat?

I think they confused Finland with Europe. And its more like 25%.

Was it Iceland that had a high rate of obesity?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    "Europeans drink and smoke more than anyone else. We are world champions - and it's not a good record," said Claudia Stein, WHO Europe's head of information, evidence, research and innovation.
    Hey, we can't just let Germany win alone in world championships for football, we gotta unite!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Wait... what? Half of europeans are fat?

I think they confused Finland with Europe. And its more like 25%.
    Not sure of the fat, but drinking and smoking probably has a high factor in east europe, where it's more rule than common.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Sounds like us Europeans are having a good time.

What's wrong with that?
    I know right? And our life expectancy rates are already stupid long for the economy and population we try to maintain. Let a few people go wild.

Weird though I don't do any of those things, A number of my generation are smoking way less than the prior as far as I can see.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    I don't smoke, don't drink and i'm not fat.

Damn, where am I living?!

Deleted
    I get the feeling the numbers are skewed because, simply, Europeans can afford to drink more than most of the world, can afford more cigarettes, etc.

I also think Eastern Europe is probably contributing quite a bit to the smoking numbers, whereas I know that in the UK smoking has really dropped back over the last few years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    So about 1 in 2 people is overweight? Tell that to my friends, we're all slightly underweight or at the correct weight. None of us smoke, or drink often (only on occasion, and usually only good booze).

I find the reduced lifespan to be more intriguing, considering both my grandfathers were heavy smokers and reached the age of 90.

I'd be more worried that this generation is getting more lazy.

I hardly meet fat people here in holland. tho at my work the women who are past 50 are usually bigger.

a lot of us do smoke and drink.

10+ Year Old Account

The gang's all here.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Wow, who would've guessed? I don't drink or smoke, but I think I'm fat for both.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The gang's all here.
    10/10

I was going to make a comment about how I hope you know the Simpsons isn't real life, but your post was too good, so I won't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Europe as a whole, sounds about right. Now lets see it country by country, i want to see where we stand on beer consumption compared to the czechs and germans!

We should live healthier all together, but you can´t really force people to do that. You can reduce options though, good luck with fighting the food, alcohol and tabacco industries.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Can't speak for anything else, but I do know that since the smoking ban in public places smoking has ironically become an extremely social thing to do.

It's a sort of event now where you "pop out for a smoke break" when you're on a night out, leaving the few non smokers sitting alone watching the table.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since Europe has a problem with an over-aging society, you should rather get a bonus if you drink, eat and smoke yourself to early death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annu View Post
    Since Europe has a problem with an over-aging society, you should rather get a bonus if you drink, eat and smoke yourself to early death
    At the same time, however, people aren't having children, so the few that do survive will still be making that population pyramid top heavy.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

OP is offending me. I thought us Americans were the best in the world at obesity. Smoking you guys win hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just means Europe is finally growing up like America. Eventually they'll have Feminists and white pride groups and anti gay groups. Maybe one day they'll have a President of Europe and their version of Donald Trump. If I just gave you all nightmares tonight it's called a wake up call.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Just means Europe is finally growing up like America. Eventually they'll have Feminists and white pride groups and anti gay groups. Maybe one day they'll have a President of Europe and their version of Donald Trump. If I just gave you all nightmares tonight it's called a wake up call.
    Anti-gay groups? Isn't that what you call most of Eastern Europe?
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.