Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can you have 2 discs in a raid?

Is it viable to have 2 discs in a raid group?

If yes why? If no why?

If you can, what talents should they spec for better utility?

Is it possible? Yes. Is it advised? No.

Unless you have a raid of 26 people at minimum you're really gimping one of your disc priests. Weakened Soul sucks. With 26 raiders, it's possible if the 2 priests have excellent coordination however most times you're better off bringing a throughput healer.

If you decide to run 2 discs and don't have 26 people, have 1 of them go CoW and just keep the tanks/priority people alive. If you have a holy pally don't bring a 2nd disc.

Deleted
    Even outside of the idea that you can't weakened soul everybody at once, having 2 priests means that 1 of your healers will never be effective on priority targets. Something like; the bleed debuff on kilrogg for example. Only one of your priests is going to be able to shield that target, the other one just stands around smiting. Or when shackles are out on archimonde, one priest shields the shackles, the other one... maybe does some padding for the chaos?
    I can't think of any mechanics this tier where the important targets to heal can't be shielded by one disc priest, which just makes a 2nd rather useless. Either they'll be padding stuff that any other raid healer could heal up (and the throughput healer can also help keep the priority target alive) or they can just go CoW and spam heal tanks for about 60% of their potential throughput, a role which would be much better suited to a paladin anyway.

It's doable, if you're just worried about getting people in for raids and don't want to bench people for farm / not progress oriented then I wouldn't worry about it. if you're trying to optimize your healing team though, then it's never going to be the best option to bring 2 disc priests.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    Even outside of the idea that you can't weakened soul everybody at once, having 2 priests means that 1 of your healers will never be effective on priority targets. Something like; the bleed debuff on kilrogg for example. Only one of your priests is going to be able to shield that target, the other one just stands around smiting. Or when shackles are out on archimonde, one priest shields the shackles, the other one... maybe does some padding for the chaos?
    I can't think of any mechanics this tier where the important targets to heal can't be shielded by one disc priest, which just makes a 2nd rather useless. Either they'll be padding stuff that any other raid healer could heal up (and the throughput healer can also help keep the priority target alive) or they can just go CoW and spam heal tanks for about 60% of their potential throughput, a role which would be much better suited to a paladin anyway.

It's doable, if you're just worried about getting people in for raids and don't want to bench people for farm / not progress oriented then I wouldn't worry about it. if you're trying to optimize your healing team though, then it's never going to be the best option to bring 2 disc priests.
    I love you Red, but I disagree partly with your post.

To answer to the question first of all: It is possible, we do it every raid.

All our Archimonde kills consisted of two disc priests. Logs for reference: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...aling&fight=30

Especially on Archimonde having 2 disc priests is extremely beneficial if you are to soak fire stacks on both of these (due to 30% reduced damage and these being able to solo heal their self and occasionally helping each other.

It is in no way impossible and currently it could be beneficial, a lot of fights we have done with double priest during progress. Another example is Xhul. Kilrogg can easily be done with 2 priests, same with Socrethor - As long as you and your buddy stay clear that one is purely on shields and the other purely on clarity of will - chances are you both are being efficient.

You both won't be playing for rank 1 obviously, it is close to impossible to rank top 10 having double disc, but if it works? Sure it does. However you do need two people with brains in their head that know how to execute the class only using few of the spells available.

Me and my co-healer are doing it a lot, on different fights, having different circumstances. It works just fine and nobody feels as we struggle.

That is my opinion. It is beneficial on some fights to run double disc, you can heal any mythic encounter having 4 holy discs if you wanted, but they would be very much limited to casting only very few of their spells. The only downside I see is that you won't be able to rank, if that is not what your guys are after, and you rather take the two discs because they are better than any options you have - you could - just teach them how to work together.

More references you can find on our logs. Or you can simply watch our multi pov linked in my signature
    Last edited by mmocd20d58e44b; 2015-10-16 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Healprincess View Post
    I love you Red, but incorrect.

It is possible, we do it every raid.
    Uh, that was the entire point of his post: double Disc is viable, but not optimal.

All our Archimonde kills consisted of two disc priests. Logs for reference: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...aling&fight=30

Especially on Archimonde having 2 disc priests is extremely beneficial if you are to soak fire stacks on both of these (due to 30% reduced damage and these being able to solo heal their self and occasionally helping each other.
    That's nice, but all healer classes can do the same thing. So it doesn't bring anything new to the table for soaking doomfire.

It is in no way impossible and currently it could be beneficial, a lot of fights we have done with double priest during progress. Another example is Xhul.
    Kilrogg can easily be done with 2 priests, same with Socrethor - As long as you and your buddy stay clear that one is purely on shields and the other purely on clarity of will - chances are you both are being efficient.
    Sure, if it's early, early(essentially cutting edge) progression for fights like Xhul. For everything else, single disc is enough or better. One disc doing nothing but CoW is the very epitome of inefficient, you may as well just run another holy paladin, which can do the same thing - without self-nerfing.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you want to have a bad time? Because that's how you have a bad time. Or well you get two rather perturbed healers passively aggressively healing over one another.

There's got to be alot of communication and compromise between the two of them to make it work, but it has been done, I know it can be done. But the hassle isn't worth it to most groups when you can just have one of them turn into a holy priest and have harmony restored in an instant.

Ideally though you want the fringe absorbs to be covered, as someone said up there, by a holy paladin and not a second disc priest.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

the question wasnt whether its optimal

the question was can you

the answer is yes

Deleted
    I love you Red, but incorrect.

It is possible, we do it every raid.
    Let's face it, if you were a Monk, you wouldn't switch to double disc. But you're a holy priest.

Last edited by mmoc3c639dd81a; 2015-10-16 at 10:10 AM.

Deleted
    Ok i know this is offtopic but i couldnt help but notice, why only 2 AA casts?

Rest i think we all know its possible, i just dont see reason to trade in a disc with clarity for a holy pala, espcially when you already got a holy pala.
    Myself i also really hate healing with another disc, so bad that i rather play mediocre holy on farm bosses with our backup disc then double disc. Aside from maybe xhul.
    Last edited by mmoc5829d1e13c; 2015-10-16 at 12:14 PM.

Deleted
    Oh that is a lot to answer.

So to start with PosPosPos whom as always did not understand anything anyone said and just pointed useless information that Id rather not comment on. For your own sake, see where and what for I disagreed and then think again about what you wrote.

Moving on. Next comment, as I have stated - there needs to be communication, the two people definitely need to be mature and understanding. If you start cat fighting over it - it won't work. Me and my co healer just happen to work very well together

Sixthumbs - No two opinions about it. Holy sucks and we all know it. I have seen very little holy priests that killed Archimonde - mostly getting carried (healing wise - for obvious reasons). Our tactics were in general about having 2 healers dealing with debuff without issues. And with disc priests I can tell for sure it is easier than if it was any other class. We have by far the best damage reduction - nearly 40% at all times.

shinbout - I personally find myself pushing a lot more healing not having to cast smite and so on every 30 seconds. As I am not running 2 tier 17 and 2 tier 18, but still experimenting a lot to be honest, I just rerolled and had the chance to play it for very limited time. I have been playing holy for 2 tiers now and with being so used to having t17 set providing me the 5 stacks, I just feel like I am wasting time casting it. I might be very much wrong, but seeing as I perform in the 90 to 99% logs wise - I think it is okay. Trade might not be worth, but it looks like I make up for it. Things might change. I am not unaware, it is personal choice - and mine usually vary a lot with the rest of the people. Sometimes for good, sometimes not In the majority of fights I would cast it once or twice to be honest, I jump a lot between playing Holy and Disc, much more than any other priest - which results in me having to perfect not one, but two specs - obviously I do my best.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    Is it viable to have 2 discs in a raid group?
    Yeah, just use mirroring or striping.

/drumroll

Mostly, unless you have complete target assignment, it results in both disc players really not liking the other and being very frustrated. Works fine for M Assault where the raid is basically split into two 10 man groups. And with the complete target assignment, 2 of your healers basically don't have the option to heal half of the raid (terrible for emergencies).

Deleted
    I might be very much wrong, but seeing as I perform in the 90 to 99% logs wise - I think it is okay.
    Wow way to make me feel like a scrub xD I use AA alot of times perfect on cd (not always 5 stacks tho) and play only disc in mythic and my percentiles are mainly in the 80´s.

But then again im only in a 9/13 Mythic 2 days a week guild, dont underheal many bosses and fights take alot longer then to kill then your guild. I just feel if i wanted to rank even in the future i really have to ask my healers (an imba pala and druid) to hold back to let me rank. Wich isn´t really me as i focus on making progress.

I know i am not a top players but i feel i am doing good (and ofc i am only 724 aswell).

Sorry for all this offtopic btw, i was just really curious how you do it
    Last edited by mmoc5829d1e13c; 2015-10-16 at 03:19 PM.

Oh that is a lot to answer.

So to start with PosPosPos whom as always did not understand anything anyone said and just pointed useless information that Id rather not comment on. For your own sake, see where and what for I disagreed and then think again about what you wrote.

Moving on. Next comment, as I have stated - there needs to be communication, the two people definitely need to be mature and understanding. If you start cat fighting over it - it won't work. Me and my co healer just happen to work very well together
    Sorry, but it's not my problem you can't read. Red's point was extremely clear - double disc is viable but not optimal, but you decided to pipe in and "disagree" - with the exact same sentiment. Do you even understand what these two terms are? Or maybe you are just trying to sound experienced and knowledgeable?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbout View Post
    Wow way to make me feel like a scrub xD I use AA alot of times perfect on cd (not always 5 stacks tho) and play only disc in mythic and my percentiles are mainly in the 80´s.

But then again im only in a 9/13 Mythic 2 days a week guild, dont underheal many bosses and fights take alot longer then to kill then your guild. I just feel if i wanted to rank even in the future i really have to ask my healers (an imba pala and druid) to hold back to let me rank. Wich isn´t really me as i focus on making progress.

I know i am not a top players but i feel i am doing good (and ofc i am only 724 aswell).

Sorry for all this offtopic btw, i was just really curious how you do it
    Speaking about ranking, I am not really after ranking at all myself. To start with it is extremely hard to rank alongside a top Holy paladin and a Top shaman, not to mention that I often play alongside another disc priest. I don't disagree at all that it is right to get you AA up and I have seen a lot of priests doing so. Perhaps my high percentile is due to our speed ranking or due to my underhealing (which I do not think we do) but in no way I advise anyone to do what I do. For myself I found that with or without it, I push the relevant healing needed on my part - not even once I thought about ranking. I am just being told by other people often, so eventually I started checking how am I doing in comparison to the rest of the healers around the world.

I do suggest to do what you feel is right for you. I never followed any tips or top players or anything alike. I make my own mind and tactics about usage of any class/spec, I ask for others opinions from time to time, but I end up making my own things anyway

Pretty much like this discussion, a lot of people would say that double priest is not optimal and so on, well I have advised our guild to use double disc on numerous occasions and that has worked for us. Providing we are the best 3 days/11 hours raiding guild with such progress - maybe I do have my part contributing. I never enforce my opinion onto people, I say it out loud, I might disagree, but at the end of the day we are all entitled to our opinions. There is no right and wrong in this game.

I would take double disc any day instead of Holy+Disc. On any occasion excluding Tyrant. But that is me again. As you see people disagree. That is fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Sorry, but it's not my problem you can't read. Red's point was extremely clear - double disc is viable but not optimal, but you decided to pipe in and "disagree" - with the exact same sentiment. Do you even understand what these two terms are? Or maybe you are just trying to sound experienced and knowledgeable?
    You really aiming at this whole forum to ignore you? Have you reached 95%? Wanting to make sure it is everyone. I am knowledgeable and experienced, clearly looking at your and my character - by far more than you.

I can have my opinion and Red can have one too. You are the one that always doesn't understand the rest, so please let's not communicate. Just like the rest of the forum and the many occasions I have seen you being salty to people, this conversation will end the same : by me telling you that you and I in no way on this earth will ever speak about anything. Not on any occasion - IRL / IN game or IN forums. For many reasons I cba to explain

Now Best of luck, go troll someone else. That game doesn't work on me. I have had many occasions to say no to young gentleman that aren't sure what they want to do ((with certain parts of their being)), not looking for another one
    Last edited by mmocd20d58e44b; 2015-10-16 at 04:05 PM.

You really aiming at this whole forum to ignore you? Have you reached 95%? Wanting to make sure it is everyone. I am knowledgeable and experienced, clearly looking at your and my character - by far more than you.
    Funny, pretty sure the one who is slinging percentiles and progression as the end-all-be-all - but without a single shred of actual substance, is asking to be ignored. As a sidenote, people who do that are generally called elitists. The bad kind, not the good kind, btw.

I can have my opinion and Red can have one too. You are the one that always doesn't understand the rest, so please let's not communicate. Just like the rest of the forum and the many occasions I have seen you being salty to people, this conversation will end the same : by me telling you that you and I in no way on this earth will ever speak about anything. Not on any occasion - IRL / IN game or IN forums. For many reasons I cba to explain
    Or maybe you just can't read. You can have your own opinion - but don't pretend to be right when you are wrong. You can't even explain why you think you are right, aside from very fringe examples, some of which have been disproven(like all healer classes can soak doomfire viably, contrary to the way you made it sound like disc priests can only do it and that double disc was somehow better than a more standard setup).

I don't need percentiles or current tier progression to prove my points - I use math and logic to support them.

Now Best of luck, go troll someone else. That game doesn't work on me. I have had many occasions to say no to young gentleman that aren't sure what they want to do ((with certain parts of their being)), not looking for another one
    Oh, so why are you still replying?

P.S. Keep slinging insults against my alt character which I haven't touched in months except to occasionally keep up-to-date with pally rotation; real classy, mature and evident of who is the actual troll.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2015-10-16 at 04:50 PM.

It's very do-able, even in a small raid size, much more feasible than it's stereotypically considered.

In a small to medium sized raid, one of the discs will want to use Clarity of Will (regardless of the encounter), to minimize interfering with the other disc's PWS spam.

Besides that, GET CREATIVE with your toolkit. Hardcast Prayer of Mending when everyone in range has Weakened Soul. Cast Halo. Cast Heal and Flash Heal when necessary.

I've had 95% success healing with another disc - it hurts both of our HPS some (~15%?) but disc is so powerful that the raid is still just fine.

All of that being said, triple discing is a clusterfuck and should never be attempted.

7+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how big the raid is. My typical Normal/Heroic raiding group has three healers, and we keep it to a Paladin, a Druid, and a Shaman. However, we do not have a decently geared Shaman at the present time, so we have a Discipline Priest replace him until that Shaman gets better gear.

In a Mythic raid group, I would assume raid leaders would try to have five healers: Paladin, Druid, Shaman, Discipline Priest, and Holy Priest.
    Signature and matching avatar made by the lovely Winter Blossom.
    Hellfire Citadel Progression: 13/13 LFR, 12/13 Normal, 7/13 Heroic, 0/13 Mythic

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really optimal, but it is not bad if you do it right. One needs WoM and one need CoW and they need the one with WoM to basically blanket bubble the raid and penance. The other needs to basically focus tank healing and using the rest of the toolkit to the max, very rarely using PW:S unless assigned for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There have been countless threads asking this same question. I really don't understand why it keeps getting brought up this late into WoD still.

If you're doing casual content right now - normals, heroics, and early mythic bosses - you can easily get away with having two discs. Is it optimal? Not at all. Bringing a second disc priest is going to do nothing to help your raid anymore than just bringing either another holy pally (if you have one cow and one wom disc) or another throughput healer. You're just effectively nerfing both disc priests to do less throughput than each would be capable of alone. And at least I know for me, it is so incredibly annoying to have two discs.

It would be the equivalent of having a raid full of warlocks that spec demo for every fight. Sure you could get away with it in casual content, but you're doing nothing but being a detriment to your raid by nerfing your own dps.

The only time healing comp really matters that much is when you're pushing progression as a top world guild when you're progressing on encounters extremely quickly and with much lower ilvl. Nowadays, it really doesn't matter your healing comp because any progression done now will be done by raiders that significantly outgear it.

As always the cliche, one disc goes CoW and one disc goes WoM, if you really wanna get away with it with minimal frustration.
    Last edited by Pearl1717; 2015-10-16 at 07:51 PM.
    Arthas Logs] | Azgalor Logs | Twitch | Pearl91#1607
    "I am a chemical engineer. To save time, lets just assume that I am never wrong."