Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Question Would it be right to change the concept of race?

I'm not one of those crazy Far Lefts, but wouldn't it just be a little, slightly more better you know, modifying our concept of race to be well...a little bit more accurate...? I mean the concept of race we created is really kind of archaic and doesn't really do biological human diversity any sort of favor and we already know that the constructed social concepts of race we use are well... not really real in a biological sense, of course this doesn't neccessarily rule out the concept of races existing in some shape in humanity. I'm simply saying if it's possible to try to redefine race.

I have no idea what you're saying
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    AFAIK we already refrain from the term "race" in human biology.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I don't either, I guess he believes that black, white, yellow and red people are each considered a different race?!

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    AFAIK we already refrain from the term "race" in human biology.
    Apart from the human race of course. No to be confused with the social competition known as "human race".

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Well the terms we use like black, white, asian, people of color, they're not really representative of human diversity. I mean if you look at any continent, there are different populations with different minor deviations from one another. So instead of calling a black man black, you could call him a Bantu or Anglo-Bantu (Black Americans). I'm not sure how we could do it, but it doesn't seem like an impossible task.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I'm not one of those crazy Far Lefts, but wouldn't it just be a little, slightly more better you know, modifying our concept of race to be well...a little bit more accurate...? I mean the concept of race we created is really kind of archaic and doesn't really do biological human diversity any sort of favor and we already know that the constructed social concepts of race we use are well... not really real in a biological sense, of course this doesn't neccessarily rule out the concept of races existing in some shape in humanity. I'm simply saying if it's possible to try to redefine race.
    The only way to do this would be to blind stupid people from birth.

- - - Updated - - -

Because the concept of 'race' is based primarily on skin color, and not innards-color.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    I don't either, I guess he believes that black, white, yellow and red people are each considered a different race?!

Apart from the human race of course. No to be confused with the social competition known as "human race".
    I'm saying how people use the term race is inaccurate and I'm not against using the term race, but I think at least it should be a little more accurate on human ethnic groups. If that makes sense...

Racial classifications aren't near as archaic as people think they are. There were some arguments regarding this a couple decades ago when genetic evidence was still in its infancy, but more data has made it more clear that there really are a few basic groups that were largely distinct and evolving separately for a big chunk of time. Some of this can be found summarized in this Time article.

The "race is a social construct" concept is true, but doesn't refute the biological concept of race. Race is both a biological reality and a social construct. Denying the biology here is basically the left's creationism.

Quote Originally Posted by Emageht Tsoluoy View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Because the concept of 'race' is based primarily on skin color, and not innards-color.
    Someone ethnically Japanese is no more darker nor lighter than someone from Southern Italy, why would only one be considered white? What about Asians? Asia is a continent of people, that includes a good deal of Russia (North Asia), are Russians therefore Asians?

Someone ethnically Japanese is no more darker nor lighter than someone from Southern Italy, why would only one be considered white? What about Asians? Asia is a continent of people, that includes a good deal of Russia (North Asia), are Russians therefore Asians?
    Stop being stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

It's usually based on color and certain features which are dominant, part of why you can, with a bit of exposure, tell where someone of Asian descent might originally come from.

Edit: Also what spectral said.

Isn't this already the case in biology?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

No, it's really not. It's based on a set of physical features that are consistent with belonging to a demographic group that hails from a given part of the Earth. Despite having similar skin tones, people don't generally confuse Taiwanese people with Sicilians.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Racial classifications aren't near as archaic as people think they are. There were some arguments regarding this a couple decades ago when genetic evidence was still in its infancy, but more data has made it more clear that there really are a few basic groups that were largely distinct and evolving separately for a big chunk of time. Some of this can be found summarized in this Time article.

The "race is a social construct" concept is true, but doesn't refute the biological concept of race. Race is both a biological reality and a social construct. Denying the biology here is basically the left's creationism.
    You're correct. However biological race is not accurately descriptive of the terms we use for social race in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No, it's really not. It's based on a set of physical features that are consistent with belonging to a demographic group that hails from a given part of the Earth. Despite having similar skin tones, people don't generally confuse Taiwanese people with Sicilians.
    This is also accurate, though my main issue is simply making vague categories for people which could lead to people not understanding the diversity of the human race.

Who let you out of Tumblr?

Back! BACK I SAY! TO THE CURSED DEPTHS FROM WHICH YOU CAME!
    Last edited by Silhouette of Seraphim; 2015-10-17 at 08:51 PM.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Stop being stupid.
    What are you seven? You can't come up with a smart comeback so you just call me stupid.

This is also accurate, though my main issue is simply making vague categories for people which could lead to people not understanding the diversity of the human race.
    I guess I don't understand the point here. We categorize things broadly, then more narrowly. That's how categories work. It's easy to see that "East Asian" and "African" are distinct while also being aware that "Ethiopian" and "Bantu" are noticeably different subsets of African.

Why should race be "redefined"?

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Who let you out of Tublr?

Back! BACK I SAY! TO THE CURSED DEPTHS FROM WHICH YOU CAME!
    Are you trying to say Tumblr??

Deleted
    I dunno. Do I have to learn every shade of every colour?

fucked up edit
    "What do they look like"

Umm.. they were Lavenderblush white with raw umber hair and Majorelle Blue eyes.

Too complicated for me!

But most people who are called "black" aren't actually black, there are some genuine black people in the world but a lot of brown, just different shades. Same for white people, there are albinos, but most people are peach. If giving a description ot a detective I will be as specific as I can, colour charts and everything! but as a generalisation, the world is typically black and white.