Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

2015 Hottest year in modern instrument record.

2015 beat out 2014 to be the new hottest year since we started keeping records in 1880. 15 of the 16 hottest years have happened since 2001.

Source

Earth’s 2015 surface temperatures were the warmest since modern record keeping began in 1880, according to independent analyses by NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Globally-averaged temperatures in 2015 shattered the previous mark set in 2014 by 0.23 degrees Fahrenheit (0.13 Celsius). Only once before, in 1998, has the new record been greater than the old record by this much.

The 2015 temperatures continue a long-term warming trend, according to analyses by scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York (GISTEMP). NOAA scientists concur with the finding that 2015 was the warmest year on record based on separate, independent analyses of the data. Because weather station locations and measurements change over time, there is some uncertainty in the individual values in the GISTEMP index. Taking this into account, NASA analysis estimates 2015 was the warmest year with 94 percent certainty.

“Climate change is the challenge of our generation, and NASA’s vital work on this important issue affects every person on Earth,” said NASA Administrator Charles Bolden. “Today’s announcement not only underscores how critical NASA’s Earth observation program is, it is a key data point that should make policy makers stand up and take notice - now is the time to act on climate.”

The planet’s average surface temperature has risen about 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit (1.0 degree Celsius) since the late-19th century, a change largely driven by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

yep, we're all gonna die a slow hot death.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Claborn View Post
    yep, we're all gonna die a slow hot death.
    It can trigger colder weather too. We will get more extremes, not just heat.
    When giant streams in our oceans change direction or disappear completely, it might actually trigger an ice age. To my knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good! I hate cold weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    It can trigger colder weather too. We will get more extremes, not just heat.
    When giant streams in our oceans change direction or disappear completely, it might actually trigger an ice age. To my knowledge.
    The big warm current in the Atlantic wouldn't cause an "ice age", if it redirected itself, but it would throw Europe into a localized version. Compare latitudes in Europe for major cities with their equivalents in, say, North America; London, England is slightly further north than Calgary, Alberta, for instance. A large part of why Europe is so temperate is that North Atlantic Current. That changes, and Europe's in for a chill.

Wherever the current redirects to will likely get warmer, as a result, so we'll still see an overall global increase, but in local terms, it's a lot more variable.

7+ Year Old Account
    Cool, agriculture has been chugging along the whole time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Cool, agriculture has been chugging along the whole time.
    Let's hope it stays that way.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Something like 14 of the hottest years on record have been in the last 15 years.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just the same 2016 will beat 2015 and 2017 will beat 2016 and 2018 will beat 2017.

The question is when the world is going to do anything about.

But apparently money > planet right?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Wherever the current redirects to will likely get warmer, as a result, so we'll still see an overall global increase, but in local terms, it's a lot more variable.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    Just the same 2016 will beat 2015 and 2017 will beat 2016 and 2018 will beat 2017.
    Well, maybe. 2015 beats everything by a good margin, mostly helped out by a good El Nino (Spanish for the nino). It could be that it takes a few years of continued warming without el nino to beat out 2015. My guess is 2015 will reign for at least a few years...although I could be wrong!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kjanaprik View Post
    coincidentally, It was Icelands coldest year.

http://icelandmag.visir.is/article/2...entury-iceland
    But we are talking global temperatures, not Icelandic temperatures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Something like 14 of the hottest years on record have been in the last 15 years.
    Nice animated graphic that demonstrates this pretty well; http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/ho...ear-on-record/

We deserve nothing but dust honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nice animated graphic that demonstrates this pretty well; http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/ho...ear-on-record/
    Clearly it was only the hottest year for 11 months. April was not the hottest on record. Therefore, climate change is a farce. Q.E.D. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post

But we are talking global temperatures, not Icelandic temperatures.
    I know, It was a reference to Endus point on how effects on the mexican gulf stream (north-atlantic current) can have the exact opposite effect on countries that thrive solely on the north-atlantic current, Ireland and Iceland can be considered taking a "direct hit" from said current

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/ne...hatlanticm.gif

10+ Year Old Account
    So someone who lives in the middle of the Atlantic will get what with this current shift?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    We deserve nothing but dust honestly.
    You know anthroguilt is irrational. Civilization can work with higher CO2 levels and more moisture in the atmosphere.

Civilization can work with higher CO2 levels and more moisture in the atmosphere.
    But never has.

You know anthroguilt is irrational.
    I'm partial to misanthropy. Sue me.