Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

[Megathread] Nioh

I looked, it wasnt there so making one. Anyway demo of the game arrives tomorrow
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/...mo-out-for-ps4

Tecmo Koei says that all players who complete one stage of the demo will be rewarded with exclusive launch content for Nioh via PSN, called The Mark of the Conqueror DLC. A representative for Tecmo Koei told IGN there are no plans at this time to make this DLC available to those who miss out on the demo.

Nioh’s demo is only available from April 26 until May 5. Much like From Software’s Dark Souls 3 Stress Test, it cannot be accessed once the alpha test ends. The demo includes two areas (a ruined fishing village called Usuki and an ancient region called Dazaifu overrun by demonic beings) and three weapon types (A katana, spear, and an axe).

“Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm dowloading this. Not much of a souls type of gamer but i did play and finish Bloodborne and loved it.

I'm a sucker for anything with feudal japan as background. Tenchu, Onimusha, Yakuza and Ninja Gaiden etc, you name it. Worth to try at least.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks interesting might give it a try when i get home from work today.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Judging by the demo, I'll give this a pass. Then again, I never liked Ninja Gaiden either.

Unlike Souls, the game just feels unfairly hard for the sake of being unfairly hard.

(inb4 git gud)

Started downloading the minute it hit EU, on my dogshit connection like 10 minutes left. I'm a sucker for this period and setting and have been following this for a long time, it makes you think of knights and castles but in reality can be a lot closer to cowboys and steamtrains time period wise and that allows for this wierd disconnect that to a western audience makes it have this almost dreamlike quality that is perfect for games with an unsettling tone and the folklore and architecture is great.

I hope its good and sells well, not only because i love souls games but because this is a niche sort of sub genre of dark horror-fantasy games we got a fair few of in the PS2 era then they died off. In fact one of my favorites was Kuon by Fromsoftware, so seeing the souls gameplay adapted to that kind of setting feels right in a way.

Hopefully we see more, i'd love a persona or pre 20th century fatal frame in this kind of setting. Like that Meiji era Pheonix Wright its a setting that needs way more games.

Exclusively on PS4
    Not interested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Downloading now. Love the style and I also love Souls games. Let's hope this is better than Lords of the Fallen.

15+ Year Old Account
    downloading the demo now

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Weapon stances, that's some Bushido Blade bullshit and I like that. Also, having the option to switch between cinematic (higher resolution/more graphical goodies, lower framerate) or action (lower visual quality, higher/more stable framerate) is fucking rad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. Not a fan of losing stamina when you get hit. Not a fan of getting 2 shot by random dudes. And I feel like the invincibility frames are non existent.

I might play it some more tomorrow but I wasn't terribly impressed.

I did like that you could see enemy's stamina bars but I didn't like getting stunned when you are out of stamina and try to dodge. The gear dropping is interesting... maybe. I'm just worried that it'll revolve around getting a bunch of trash weapons with very few unique ones.

Didn't really understand the stance system either. Are you supposed to switch them on the fly or just find one you like and then use it?
    Last edited by Poppincaps; 2016-04-27 at 12:21 AM.

Well i beat the first area over 3 and a half hours. I streamed it so it should give you some idea, turned the sound in game real low and im still full on mumblecore so i wouldnt expect listening to me yammer but on the whole? not bad.

Its got a bit of input lag but i like what im seeing:
    -as well as traditional souls style player interaction when you die that spawns a 90's racing game style ghost of you that spawns in your gear with your moveset and items as an npc to attack the player even if you are offline
    -you can actually design custom moves and combo strings
    -there is a talent tree, yes a talent tree in a souls style game
    -both you and the enemies have visible health AND stamina bars. You can wear down a samurai and if hes standing out of breath do a riposte on him as well as the usual parries
    -3 styles for the weapon which makes taking different types of enemies on interesting
    -diablo style loot that you can trade for extras 'estus' uses at shrines.
    -finding little tree spirits around the level unlocks new bonuses you can activate at the shrine like 10% more weapon drops

Its not flawless but it is not another lords of the fallen, this is half demons souls and half bushido blade with a dash of character action and fatal frame. the progression is souls speed but the fights and be insane, hectic duels that last only seconds but feel like minutes in a good way.
    Its a shame i got a ...amaterasubro? to show up in the middle of the boss to help nuke it as i was learning it but on the whole? theres a reason people are raging at sonys twitter screaming its "shit" or "too hard", its a genuine challenge and there looks to be a surprising amount of complexity in the works for it.

Its not trying to be dark souls, its trying to take dark souls gameplay as a base and make its own game and if they can solve the input lag between alpha and retail? i'm totally sold.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Didn't really understand the stance system either. Are you supposed to switch them on the fly or just find one you like and then use it?
    From what i got the enemies that crawl were easily hit with the low stance which does less damage but the higher parries easier but blocks worse and mid is your basic R1 spam
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2016-04-27 at 02:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn't beat the boss. If I can beat Orphan of Kos and Nameless King in 6 attempts and I can't beat this boss then I must be missing something. /shrug I was starting to enjoy it.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I can beat Orphan of Kos and Nameless King in 6 attempts
    ...Show off ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Weapon stances, that's some Bushido Blade bullshit and I like that. Also, having the option to switch between cinematic (higher resolution/more graphical goodies, lower framerate) or action (lower visual quality, higher/more stable framerate) is fucking rad.
    About fucken time consoles do this as well.

Ontopic: Played the demo got my ass handed to me a few times and now ready to buy it at release LOL.

Didn't want to play into the demo due to getting spoiled on it LOL. Dam near anything Team Ninja makes is gold anyway so I know it will be good.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Couldn't beat the boss. If I can beat Orphan of Kos and Nameless King in 6 attempts and I can't beat this boss then I must be missing something. /shrug I was starting to enjoy it.
    This is made by Team Ninja.

The guys who make Ninja Gaiden games.

Ninja Gaiden games makes Souls games look like childs play. The game is brutal as I expected it to be.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gave it another shot today, beat the boss and got the mark of the conqueror, woo. Still think the game's too unfair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once I dropped my normal Souls mentality of dodging through everything and just got away from him when he started swinging the balls around he went down easy. Told myself I'd stop playing after I killed him but I decided to keep exploring the second area, so they've got something going here.

I do agree with Cattleya that enemies do a little bit too much damage. Getting 2 shot by a random dude with an axe is a little meh, but the game does enough unique stuff that it's enjoyable unlike Lords of the Fallen where I felt like it was just a carbon copy that was simply inferior.

I'm definitely looking forward to the full release.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my fucking god. Watch this video if you don't know what you're doing. I had no idea about the Ki charge thing or that there were skills... No wonder I was having trouble.

I think it has a little bit much on the "artificial" difficulty side of things; some enemies are just absurdly strong and their position in the level/overall enemy hierarchy just doesn't support it.

Like, Onryoki is a big, nasty fucker of a boss, yet, he was ultimately easier to beat than the dual-wielding yoki/yokai who hang around in the creepy mist you see in some parts of the game.

It does have a really great atmosphere though, and not sure why William Adams of all historical folks is the protagonist - I'm a big fan of stuff involving Nobunaga, but that may just be me, and my great love of Onimusha + Sengoku Basara.

The combat is neat, I like the parries, and I like that I can run the enemy out of stamina and then shank him, and that the larger enemies have a stun-meter instead - that was super helpful in beating Onryoki.

The biggest complaint I have is the durability system for equipment - it doesn't really feel like it adds anything compelling to the gameplay, and it's very involved and tedious - sure you can go hunting for whetstones and whatever the one for armor is, but when I was learning Onryoki, I broke whole sets of gear, and I actually beat him with a shitty Uchigatana I found off a random guy I killed outside of the boat, but it wasn't one of the higher quality items, and I was wearing whatever gear I had that wouldn't put me over 70%.

So I feel like that durability system just doesn't offer much, all it really seems to do is make you keep one really good weapon for really strong enemies, and then swap to various shitty ones that you don't care if they break for the normal enemies.

That's just not compelling gameplay to me, not how the rest of it is - the stance system and the ki burst are both awesome - I loved the critical hit system in Onimusha (especially as it appeared in later games) where you could strike right before a hit lands and get a crit, and in later games it could be chained if you had really good timing. Ki burst reminds me of that, you get a pretty good reward for timing it right - I beat the first boss by filling up the stun bar and just chaining on him for many hits before I'd back off and try it again.

Overall, it's got great potential, and I'll probably buy it when it comes out for the Onimusha+Souls fix it will provide since DS3 is now out and I'm probably going to hang it up soon, and there probably won't be another Onimusha while I'm alive. So Nioh will hopefully get better before release, but it's a decent game right now.
    Signature dunked by a lame MMO Champ robot.

Deleted
    Yeah, saw Coh playing it on stream. It's just like Dark Souls but...kinda worse, less attention to details, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Makaran View Post
    Yeah, saw Coh playing it on stream. It's just like Dark Souls but...kinda worse, less attention to details, etc...
    People keep thinking it's so much like Souls when really only the stamina bar is similar. Game is closer to Ninja Gaiden(no surprise since it's made by Team Ninja). The gameplay is almost identical to the more recent Ninja Gaiden games, just with a stamina bar added in. Almost nothing like Souls combat at all.