Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    I'm trying to get to the bottom of "What is the value of the USD?".

You mentioned "profit", based on context, the profit will be in USD. What will you do with said USD based profit?
    Make it rain nigga!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Purchase goods in the global market. US goods aren't the only commodity sold in USD.
    Black gold. Texas tea. Which has been in a funk for awhile now due to low demand. Question is is now the right time to buy? Commodities mah nigga.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Purchase goods in the global market. US goods aren't the only commodity sold in USD.
    And what will those sellers who accept USD do with the USD they stock pile?

The global market accepts USD because they know everyone will take it as payment. Everyone willingly take it as payment because they know that the US can provide useful goods and services in exchange for said USD.

In the end it all comes back to the US.

PS: Money is really a form of IOU. The IOU has value because people trust the issuer that he/she can pay up when you try to redeem the IOU
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account

The global market accepts USD because they know everyone will take it as payment. Everyone willingly take it as payment because they know that the US can provide useful goods and services in exchange for said USD.

PS: Money is really a form of IOU. The IOU has value because people trust the issuer that he/she can pay up when you try to redeem the IOU
    No the world market accepts it because that's what the price of virtually everything is measured in. They accept it cause the Saudis sell energy (re: oil) exclusively in US dollars. They accept it cause the US is the world's empire. They accept it cause the US will maintain that dollar hegemony by disciplining it's own domestic population with mass poverty and misery. They accept it because the government is largely stable. For all these reasons and more and they accept it.

The US is running a massive trade defecit one that it can only ultimately and will only ultimately pay out in more dollars as that is all it legally obliged to pay it out in.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    No the world market accepts it because that's what the price of virtually everything is measured in. They accept it cause the Saudis sell energy (re: oil) exclusively in US dollars. They accept it cause the US is the world's empire. They accept it cause the US will maintain that dollar hegemony by disciplining it's own domestic population with mass poverty and misery. They accept it because the government is largely stable. For all these reasons and more and they accept it.

The US is running a massive trade defecit one that it can only ultimately and will only ultimately pay out in more dollars as that is all it legally obliged to pay it out in.
    I'm not going to comment on the "mass poverty and misery" part but the "paying out more dollars" ... good thing inflation exist and the US has full control over the creation of its currency.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going to comment on the "mass poverty and misery" part but the "paying out more dollars" ... good thing inflation exist and the US has full control over the creation of its currency.
    Absolutely. It can create and destroy that currency as it sees fit. The United States is not Greece.

If this were true the trade deficit wouldn't be what it is. Far more USD flow out than back in.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post

Are you retarded?

The US runs a massive trade deficit because most of the rest of the world (certainly the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th largest economies in the world, at minimum) consistently adjust their currencies to maintain domestic trade surplus goals. I would normally say that China is more blatant about it than the Eurozone or Japan but that really just isn't the case.

- - - Updated - - -

If this were true the trade deficit wouldn't be what it is. Far more USD flow out than back in.
    See above. And please note that because of this devaluation on the part of the Euro, Yuan, and Yen means that their central banks (where USD winds up when it isn't in the US) are experiencing massive unrealized losses every time they sell goods to the US and take USD in trade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Until bridges, roads, and schools start failing and falling apart.
    Time to trim out some unnecessary fat.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

It's not "the people" that got tax cuts. The sales tax actually just got raised to try to make up part of the deficit. Government services are already suffering, and they are necessary.
    I read the articles. Farmers got huge tax cuts. Now they can finally buy that new tractor! Hell, they might even be able to farm their own land instead of renting it out to Big Agriculture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Yes, she would destroy me and my raging boner.
    In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I read the articles. Farmers got huge tax cuts. Now they can finally buy that new tractor! Hell, they might even be able to farm their own land instead of renting it out to Big Agriculture.
    Roads, bridges and schools are unnecessary fat? You have to be fucking kidding right? Without roads and bridges, nothing gets shipped anywhere. Without schools, people remain fucking stupid and vote against their own interests. Now I know why you vote republican.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Roads, bridges and schools are unnecessary fat? You have to be fucking kidding right? Without roads and bridges, nothing gets shipped anywhere. Without schools, people remain fucking stupid and vote against their own interests. Now I know why you vote republican.
    psh who needs hospitals we got our very own smelling salts and medicinal herbs right here! along with a basin of mercury.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The problem is govt pensions are fucking ridiculous.

Btw if you think Kanasas has issues then you aint seen shit. Look what the Democrats did to fucking Illinois. Chicago is going to be a fucking zoo. They need to build a fucking wall around it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post

Btw if you think Kanasas has issues then you aint seen shit. Look what the Democrats did to fucking Illinois. Chicago is going to be a fucking zoo. They need to build a fucking wall around it
    someone's getting awfully frothy.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

You pay into pensions....you don't pay into tax cuts for the wealthy.

Also you really don't want to start comparing Republican states vs Democratic states when Red states are the takers and democratic states are the givers.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ng-charts-maps

While we at it the other republican government that is against America and wants to see it destroyed

bobby jindal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...r-left-behind/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    psh who needs hospitals we got our very own smelling salts and medicinal herbs right here! along with a basin of mercury.
    We'll pray that flu goes away. It's pneumonia now? Pray harder. Getting worse? MOAR PRAYER!

At your eulogy, you'll be remembered as a deeply religious person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

15+ Year Old Account

Oh cool is this a thread about democrats in Illinois, or is this another delusional conservative that would rather see states fail and citizens suffer because they can't reconcile with the shortcomings of their own ideology?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

The problem is the purchasing power of the dollar.

When it increases, Wall Street tumbles.
    When it decreases, Wall Street cheers.

Betting against the US is a relative recent thing. (just in the prior 30 years, give or take a year)

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    You pay into pensions....you don't pay into tax cuts for the wealthy.

Also you really don't want to start comparing Republican states vs Democratic states when Red states are the takers and democratic states are the givers.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ng-charts-maps

While we at it the other republican government that is against America and wants to see it destroyed

bobby jindal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...r-left-behind/
    Pensions are a fucking disgrace, it's not even an argument. All public unions need to die in a fire.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

- - - Updated - - -

A strong national infrastructure is vital to national security, more so than anything involving Muslims. It's one of the few things worth raising taxes for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Betting against the US is a relative recent thing. (just in the prior 30 years, give or take a year)
    Probably not a coincidence that coincides with the rise of neoliberal economics.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Pensions are a fucking disgrace, it's not even an argument
    Yes, those damn scroungers should work till they die. Retirement should only be for The Market's chosen people.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Probably not a coincidence that coincides with the rise of neoliberal economics.

Yes, those damn scroungers should work till they die. Retirement should only be for The Market's chosen people.

Taking things out of context and sprinkling in talking points isnt an argument. Public pensions are unsustainable and largely already insolvent.