Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    ... I can't cure stupid. You'd be dead in weeks from dysentery. As someone working in a field that is trying to keep you alive, you have no idea the effort it takes to do that.
    i the case (i drank water from springs and rivers when i was thirsty for like whole my life, and this goes from jennisej via danube to seine. and i gotten the same comments from collaegues like u, but main problem is that u just have textbook knowledge, and no selfexperience.). Its wise to cook it first if u have to use water from very slow flowing water in great plains, but u wont die or even get a diarhea from it, especially if your body is used to it. Just make the experiment with yourself, u can trink just fine from most lakes / rivers in the western world without catching anything. Now i wouldnt recommend that on some enteramoeba histolytica bearing rainwater pond in the aequator region, but thats a whole other story. And u can cook it just fine in those dangerous regions.

In what field where u working exactly? in this that sells very expensive filter technology that actuelly does nothing because most of the biom in water is actually to small to be filtered? Just do a random dapi test with your "filtered" water u guys export to the 3rd world for much money.

edit: and i forgot all the dogs and cats and horses and cattle and sheep, they die all the time because they drink from rivers.
    Last edited by Holofernes; 2016-08-21 at 03:18 PM.

survive? yes. but I would NOT be a happy camper. at all.

Given how dependent we are on technology now I'm pretty sure within 5 minutes the world would look like Fallout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I could probably survive a little bit based on my limited hiking experience but no where close to a year.

Do you realize how profitable a loss of power would be? To run your a/c or give you light at night, most of you would give me your first born child. There is far too much profit in restoring power and stealing control of the electrical infrastructure that I would be surprised if power was not restored in a month. You would see promises galore and everyone trying to pony position on a market that basically drives most markets.

Sad thing is you really don't need it as much as you'll pretend to while you dump the bank and fill the debt seeking something you think you need. Most farming equipment doesn't use electricity unless you're talking about something seriously modern. Most tools are based off interaction with a diseal engine and PTO shafts. We restore power and then what? You don't have to be picky about eating if things spoil and you can hide your insecurities behind some phone?

Honestly, everyone able to repair should just let you suffer a year to help remind you about the massive fears you hide from while dictating opinions within a bubble.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a generator so I'd be good. I'm guessing in your hypothetical that gas would still be flowing in the rest of the world. Unless you knocked out the power everywhere which is impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    A year without electricity. Could you survive it?
    Yep. Would probably miss it at first, but in time, I might even be happier without it.

Nope. I have no survival/wilderness know-how and I live in a huge city that depends on electricity.

10+ Year Old Account
    95% of my life's content is digital.
    I can't imagine living w/o electricity and computers.

Would probably die due to boredom alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I depend on electricity for my daily needs, so as far as the question goes, I'd probably be a goner long before the year would be up.

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    whole lot of nonsense
    I'm a geologist. We work in environmental impact management and assessment for industrial projects. (Infrastructure, constructions, agriculture, transportation, mining).

The degree to which we manage everything down to aquifers (the springs you talk about) is beyond what you can literally imagine. You absolutely can't drink from most water sources in the Western world. Especially not the open air ones.

Our livestock is vaccinated from birth and their food is pumped full of antibiotics. Their environment is laced with fungicides and we kill most of the parasite and infection carrying pests like mosquitoes, rats, fleas.

We do the same for our "wildlife" we strictly control populations, introduce antibiotics into their food chain, control environmental contaminants, keep them away from contaminated areas via fences and hunting, and cull infected or at risk populations via hunting.

We live in the Anthropocene. In the Western World we altered our environment to a degree that we manage pretty much everything down to the smallest detail.

Would I survive? Almost certainly. Would I be miserable? Yes, absolutely.
    Beta Club Brosquad

See, you just proved you have no idea what you are talking about.

What Martial Law? Who is there to declare it? How is it communicated? Who enforces it? What do you do with the millions of refugees?

What do you do about the ecological catastrophe? The sweeping plagues? The returning pests that wipe out crops and foodstores?

I repeat, you fail to grasp the size of the problem.
    Can still run on morse code, military usually handles marshal law its brutal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Huh? Why not? I went for 4 years without ever using my generator and when I did need it, it worked fine. You can get fuel life extenders which work well.

It is also a what if scenario. None of us know if the other is wrong or not. Time would prove who is. So we are expressing opinions and there is no such thing as a expert who has experienced a entire world without electricity who is alive now.
    Out of function infrastructure deteriorates at an exponential rate. Much of the infrastructure is exposed to the elements and breaks down amazingly fast without constant maintenance.

A power grid is a very complex system dependent on a very extensive industrial base, which in turn is dependent on power to function. And all that is dependent on a concentration of technically skilled labor force to function and be maintained.

After a year of neglect and the death and dispersion of most skilled labor, the systemic breakdown would be irreversible.

While most individual components would still be functional after a year of sitting around, the system itself would be irreversibly damaged, and there would be no one to fix it.

Which in turn means, that the whole thing would have to be rebuilt almost from scratch.

The complex systems in place would have to be completely abandoned, and we would need to return to more basic power generation and distribution methods, like basic copper wires, mechanical generators (no computer systems) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's said that if 9 specific power substations went down in the US then the whole country would lose electricity. It would knock out the entire countries electricity for at least a year. Could you survive a year without electricity? I mean think about it, no heat, no air, hospitals and grocery stores wouldn't be able to function. Supply chains would likely be shut down too. Would you be able to survive it? Here's a blog that discusses it.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/system...g-it-all-down/

http://time.com/23281/report-u-s-cou...nimal-attacks/
    Generators. gg

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Can still run on morse code, military usually handles marshal law its brutal.
    The US has a "large" standing force, but a lot of it is either dependent on the power grid (much of the military are just office workers and administrators and clerks), or is stationed abroad etc.

The military could feasibly police the immediate surroundings of large bases and logistical centers, but it would in turn risk being overrun by unmanageable numbers of refugees.

The military would be able to communicate to standing forces and even to the general populace through radio, but as batteries would start dying the communication between the population, institutions and the government would get progressively worse and more and more limited.

Quote Originally Posted by God8010 View Post
    Do you realize how profitable a loss of power would be?
    You obviously don't realize that money would be next to worthless.
    Clean water however would be worth more than gold.

- - - Updated - - -

We live in the Anthropocene. In the Western World we altered our environment to a degree that we manage pretty much everything down to the smallest detail.
    That explains the Holocene extinction Level Event that is ongoing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was born and raised in the ghetto, I have done it before a time or two.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Nope. I have no survival/wilderness know-how and I live in a huge city that depends on electricity.
    Its not that bad but damn them cold water shows are bad.

Just need to get in a routine that keeps you fed, clean, warm, and safe.