Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Neither did I. I was constantly told I was a failure.
    I mean sure I was given an 8th place ribbon for grade school track and field but we all knew what that meant.

Deleted
    Ehh, I know many that cant take criticism and many that can.

It really depends on their upbringing and their "life lessons" coupled with their general attitude towards life.
    Last edited by mmoce472836461; 2017-02-28 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo

You came onto a forum that is for all educated guesses, full of Millennials, to complain about Millennials.

I'm sure this thread is going swimmingly so far. lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Old people suck.
    (I'm 48)

Trump has cried more on Twitter than I ever have or will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    I'm curious where this idea that I was told I can never lose was even taught. cuz I sure as hell didn't get any sort of treatment like that growing up.
    My parents did this. The 'You can do whatever you want and everything you do is wonderful" bit. Dream big, with no thought to any sort of practical consequence to your life choices or application for the paths you choose to take.
    Luckily I didn't listen to them very well.

I also love using anecdotal evidence to make a sweeping generalization about a generation

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean sure I was given an 8th place ribbon for grade school track and field but we all knew what that meant.
    lol, definitely. A ribbon basically meant, thanks for trying, but you still suck. It was quite embarrassing to receive a ribbon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    My parents did this. The 'You can do whatever you want and everything you do is wonderful" bit. Dream big, with no thought to any sort of practical consequence to your life choices or application for the paths you choose to take.
    I had some people try to feed me that line. But I wasn't beat. I understood the difference between being a natural and being disciplined. You can only be the best, if you work to be the best.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    This, I remember those shitty rewards like as if you accomplished something by doing effectively nothing. I actually removed them from my trophy "wall" once I outgrew the need to have as many as possible (to beat out my brother's amount).

Even at the time, I didnt actually feel good receiving the "trophies".

As someone born in 1981 ( Not sure which this puts me as ). It generally has proven to me that the older generations tend to be the ones who can't take the criticism and then project that onto others. I have had plenty of them trying to claim I "Thought I was always right" and how I "Couldn't just accept what people said".

But the fact was I didn't think I was always right I just wouldn't allow them to openly lie about things I knew to be untrue and would correct them with facts and siting sources when they did but they would try to hand wave anything they didn't like away because they treated their views like it was a religion and above reproach and any time you didn't accept it logically, they considered that you not taking criticism or just plain crying because you dared to go against what they said.

Too many in the older generations consider not blindly accepting what you are told without facts, as not being able to accept criticism and then when it comes to how people act in general, they turn into huge hypocrites getting onto the younger generation for not doing stuff they couldn't even do. Watching them call the younger generation lazy because they couldn't afford the stuff they used to do when they were that age neglecting how much more they had compared to the younger generations. You would actually have to give the younger generation entitlements just to equal the chance that they had. I went into business with a friend and worked 60 hour weeks for a few years, but since it didn't make a lot of money as a start up and trying to build clientele and much of the time was spent waiting, I was considered lazy.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    As someone born in 1981
    Same here, or more specifically I think people born between 1975 and 1982.

I've been told we fall into a grey area of where it transitioned between gen X and millennial.

Relevant:
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post

I've been told we fall into a grey area of where it transitioned between gen X and millennial.
    Thanks, wasn't sure.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I had some people try to feed me that line. But I wasn't beat. I understood the difference between being a natural and being disciplined. You can only be the best, if you work to be the best.
    I went along without thinking about it really until about high school age, which is when you start paying attention to/thinking critically about that sort of thing anyway. But I look back at middle school age and I remember always joining and quitting this that and the other thing and there was never any push to stick with anything, actually work at it, or suffer any sort of consequence for giving up immediately and moving on.
    It mostly came from my mom, who never fully left her hippy-mindset of her formative years of the late 60s/early 70s. It frustrated my dad a bit I think, but he grew up in an abusive household and was determined not to have that so he just went along, maybe he was worried about going overboard if he tried to step in and be more of a disciplinarian. Can't say for sure one way or the other.

But yeah once you start observing the world working around you and put a little more thought into it than 'none', you see things don't work that way and you're not going to get very far just coasting on how awesomely special you are.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308

Same. We're the Oregon Trail Generation.
    https://socialmediaweek.org/blog/201...il-generation/
    Last edited by Enthusiastic Steward; 2017-02-28 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    mmm even with the "oh you can do anything as long as you be yourself!" message/vibe I got that from TV and movies way more then I ever did my parents. maybe that's where this whole idea comes from.

mmm even with the "oh you can do anything as long as you be yourself!" message/vibe I got that from TV and movies way more then I ever did my parents. maybe that's where this whole idea comes from.
    Its probably more of a nebulous cultural attitude that was just sort of 'there'.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Most people cannot take criticism. This is not unique to Millennial's.
    Totally true. Everyone wants feedback until it's negative, then they want to argue and pout. It's true of every generation. It's just that each generation thinks the one behind it are a bunch of fools who don't know anything.

Edit: I'm curious not what the context was of the OPs response. Was it worded in a constructive way? No one responds well to being told they're wrong if you're condescending.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Calling people millenials is very rude. Its something that media started using last year.
    No it is not. Don't talk when you have no idea what you're saying.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Well, considering one of the key things I've always pushed in job interviews is, "If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me so I can correct it. I have no issue with criticism, and in fact encourage it." I think you're a little off-base there, mate. I was born in the late eighties, so I'm technically a millenial.

Cool stereotype, bruh.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've got a couple guys, who are in their late 20s, working for me now. I give them shit about something, they hear me out and fix it. I compliment them... I've never seen anyone get so embarrassed. Now, I compliment them randomly just to watch how uncomfortable they get.