Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is wow an old school mmo?

I consider wow to be a old school mmo this is an argument i get into a lot when talking about wow i mostly get roasted about it by everquest players
    if i'm wrong feel free to set me straight.

No. WoW is somewhere between mid- and new-school MMO.

UO is true old school, followed closely by EQ.

WoW came on the scene 5 years after EQ started, and was predominately developed by ex-EQ raiders who wanted to make something more streamlined and casual.

With that came broader appeal (as well as the fact that gaming as a whole was becoming more accepted), but that doesn't make it old school.You should get roasted by EQ/OU players for calling WoW old school.

WoW was a joke among most of the current MMO community when it came out for both the question mark style questing, the on-the-rails story, and the cartoonish looks. Lots of references to it as an MMO for kids.

It's why when people talk about the "glory days" of vanilla WoW, it's usually pretty obvious that WoW was their first MMO, and that's great. Your first MMO is a completely unique experience. But to players coming from a more developed MMO? Vanilla WoW players were the equivalent of "Wrath Babies" to Vanilla WoW players.
    Last edited by JemiS; 2017-05-11 at 02:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    This game isn't about your friends, though. This game is about taking it seriously enough that you do the hardest content no matter what it takes (transferring, etc), lasting friendships and other elements be damned. /s

7+ Year Old Account
    Old school depends on who you ask. I was never around for UO and EQ really, WoW was the first time I had seen an mmo actually played so for me its more old school then some people might consider. Mind you I started playing this game when I was 15.

Quote Originally Posted by JemiS View Post
    No. WoW is somewhere between mid- and new-school MMO.

UO is true old school, followed closely by EQ.

WoW came on the scene 5 years after EQ started, and was predominately developed by ex-EQ raiders who wanted to make something more streamlined and casual.

With that came broader appeal (as well as the fact that gaming as a whole was becoming more accepted), but that doesn't make it old school.You should get roasted by EQ/OU players for calling WoW old school.

WoW was a joke among most of the current MMO community when it came out for both the question mark style questing, the on-the-rails story, and the cartoonish looks. Lots of references to it as an MMO for kids.

It's why when people talk about the "glory days" of vanilla WoW, it's usually pretty obvious that WoW was their first MMO, and that's great. Your first MMO is a completely unique experience. But to players coming from a more developed MMO? Vanilla WoW players were the equivalent of "Wrath Babies" to Vanilla WoW players.

just from my perspective yes thos games where more hardcore but dose that make wow any less old school.

Quote Originally Posted by lokoma View Post
    just from my perspective yes thos games where more hardcore but dose that make wow any less old school.
    Yes it does since WoW had a different school of thought about how to make an MMO than the ones that came before.

Quote Originally Posted by lokoma View Post
    Let's start somewhere else. What do you think "old school" means? You seem to have a very different definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    This game isn't about your friends, though. This game is about taking it seriously enough that you do the hardest content no matter what it takes (transferring, etc), lasting friendships and other elements be damned. /s

As it is today? No. Blizzard has been pretty consistent with modernizing it and trimming the fat.

WoW is a generation 3 MMO.

Generation 1 were text-based 'Multi User Dungeons' that largely existed in colleges and data-computers of the 70s and 80s, some surviving to this day.

Generation 2 were games like Ultima, Everquest, Anarchy, Lineage, Camelot and Eve -- 90s and early 2000s games with 'hardcore' progression, brutal punishment for death, brutal RNG, huge time investments and little to no connection between 'plot' and 'gameplay'.

Then WoW heralded 3rd generation of MMOs, also known as 'wow clones', or 'theme park MMOs' with it's softer approach to player punishment, while also retaining many of the less obnoxious bits from from older MMOs, and adding onto them.

I'll just leave this here --> http://www.darklegacycomics.com/comics/368.jpg
    Last edited by Saberstrike; 2017-05-11 at 03:56 AM.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    It is old school but it's always been updated with the times we live in and became the biggest mmo in the world by far and most played.

In other words there's only 2 MMOs , world of Warcraft and the others

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post

Generation 1 were text-based 'Multi User Dungeons' that largely existed in colleges and data-computers of the 70s and 80s, some surviving to this day.
    I came here to post that.

This is what an actual 'old school' MMO looks like.

In a handful of years WoW's age won't be all too uncommon. It's ahead of the curve in age -- just ahead enough to not be normal, but not too far ahead to be considered retro, yet still old enough to be unrecognized by the next generation. An unfortunate cost of riding the initial hype wave of a genre, I suppose.

No, old school would imply WoW wasn't evolving. Current WoW vs old WoW or other older MMOs like Everquest have a lot of standout differences.

WoW keeps getting with the times so it won't be "old school" until they shut the game down and everything becomes legacy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JemiS View Post
    WoW wasn't my first MMO, played EQ and UO before, and I thought WoW was the better game from the get go... There comes a point where something can be too "hardcore", vanilla was just short of that, and it did it well.

But, I'd been a big Warcraft fan since WC2 so, I'm sure that made me at least a little biased.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post

Generation 2 were games like Ultima, Everquest, Anarchy, Lineage, Camelot and Eve -- 90s and early 2000s games with 'hardcore' progression, brutal punishment for death, brutal RNG, huge time investments and little to no connection between 'plot' and 'gameplay'.

Then WoW heralded 3rd generation of MMOs, also known as 'wow clones', or 'theme park MMOs' with it's softer approach to player punishment, while also retaining many of the less obnoxious bits from from older MMOs, and adding onto them.

I'll just leave this here --> http://www.darklegacycomics.com/comics/368.jpg
    I have to agree with this one. Though, WoW has had a HUGE part in history of developing MMO's for the future.

And I love that you pointed out the brutal RNG from past generations, that is why I laugh when people complain about it now.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    No. As another poster said, it's a "third generation" MMO, and still the template for nearly every MMO currently on the market.

You might argue that there's a fourth generation of MMOs that incorporate platformer, character action, strategy, or other elements into the genre, but generally speaking those have always been around in some form or another.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what 'old-school' really even means. World of Warcraft certainly redefined what an MMO was supposed to be when it first came out.

For better or for worse. Good arguments for both sides of that.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

WoW is a themepark multiplayer raid/dungeon game with some half-assed quests thrown in. There is no real word-building. We have no idea what people in the world actually live like. Its just "throw in a bunch of mobs jam-packed for max efficiency of art assets". There are barely any roleplay aspects left in class design and everything has been completely simplified to satisfy the arcade game play-style.

Quote Originally Posted by cfStatic View Post
    As it is today? No. Blizzard has been pretty consistent with modernizing it and trimming the fat.
    Trimming the fat and cutting healthy meat (in my opinion)

Deleted
    WoW is not old school MMO and its not even old WoW. Its not even RPG anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    WoW is a themepark multiplayer raid/dungeon game with some half-assed quests thrown in. There is no real word-building. We have no idea what people in the world actually live like. Its just "throw in a bunch of mobs jam-packed for max efficiency of art assets". There are barely any roleplay aspects left in class design and everything has been completely simplified to satisfy the arcade game play-style.
    Well said.

Mechanically in regards to combat? Old school yeah. (Hot key masher)
    In the way content is presented? Definitely aged. (Theme park)
    Otherwise nope. (Not a grinder without story, lost the RPG part though)