Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A felony to boycott Israel?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...tt-israel.html

43 Senators Want to Make It a Federal Crime to Boycott Israeli Settlements

Maybe Russia and Russians aren't the ones we should worry about controlling our government. I'm assuming this would get thrown out by Scotus but it is sad to see how many of our senators are basically agents of the Knesset

I laughed and then face palmed at this quote:
    many appear to have simply signed their names to a piece of legislation because AIPAC put it in front of them.
    Regardless, this bill is really stupid and obviously unconstitutional.

Deleted
    While I support the settlements, boycotting them is stupid and going against our allies, but a felony? No..

Deleted
    Didn't Bibi address congress about the Iran Nuclear deal in Obamas time?

Right wing religious nutjobs always stick together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good! I needs me my bagels.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

This will get shut down so fast you won't have time to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post

Maybe Russia and Russians aren't the ones we should worry about controlling our government. I'm assuming this would get thrown out by Scotus but it is sad to see how many of our senators are basically agents of the Knesset
    Thanks for this. It's been a good six hours since I saw a member of the alt-right imply or state outright that Jews rule America in secret.

A regular dose of antisemitism is useful to remember how repugnant the alt-right is.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Thanks for this. It's been a good six hours since I saw a member of the alt-right imply or state outright that Jews rule America in secret.

A regular dose of antisemitism is useful to remember how repugnant the alt-right is.
    They are getting sloppy and have so much #winning going around, that they are running out of breath to spin things. I bet they never realized how much effort their God King would end up being.

Oh, almost forgot the reply to their slowing efforts: #lowenergy #sad!

Last edited by Azadina; 2017-07-21 at 06:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account

And people claim the people on the LEFT side of the political spectrum are dangerous to democracy and freedom. Nice to see that "The Home of the Free" stays true to it's proud history though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Senators on both sides sign on to stupid things to play to a part of their base all the time, mostly to raise funds.

This bill is obviously dumb, will never pass and if it does will never go into effect. Everyone who co-sponsored the bill is wrong. Not terribly surprised to see Schumer on as a co-sponsor. More surprised by Gillibrand even though they have the same constituents.

Basically the government has no business whatsoever asking me why I buy or sell one product over another if both are legal for sale.

I never much liked Harry Reid but would accept that he was a tough old dude who paid attention to what he was doing for the most part. Schumer is a weak followup. Senate Dems would be better off with someone who exhibits some spine.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-07-21 at 07:37 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Note that it is already a crime for an American business to boycott Israel.

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/en...ac#boycottlaws

The Bureau is charged with administering and enforcing the Antiboycott Laws under the Export Administration Act. Those laws discourage, and in some circumstances, prohibit U.S. companies from furthering or supporting the boycott of Israel sponsored by the Arab League, and certain other countries, including complying with certain requests for information designed to verify compliance with the boycott.

The antiboycott provisions of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) apply to the activities of U.S. persons in the interstate or foreign commerce of the United States. The term "U.S. person" includes all individuals, corporations and unincorporated associations resident in the United States, including the permanent domestic affiliates of foreign concerns.

Conduct that may be penalized under the TRA and/or prohibited under the EAR includes:

Agreements to refuse or actual refusal to do business with or in Israel or with blacklisted companies.
    Agreements to discriminate or actual discrimination against other persons based on race, religion, sex, national origin or nationality.
    Agreements to furnish or actual furnishing of information about business relationships with or in Israel or with blacklisted companies.
    Agreements to furnish or actual furnishing of information about the race, religion, sex, or national origin of another person.
    Implementing letters of credit containing prohibited boycott terms or conditions.

The penalties imposed for each "knowing" violation can be a fine of up to $50,000 or five times the value of the exports involved, whichever is greater, and imprisonment of up to five years. During periods when the EAR are continued in effect by an Executive Order issued pursuant to the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, the criminal penalties for each "willful" violation can be a fine of up to $50,000 and imprisonment for up to ten years.
    Emphasis mine.

Obviously, the idea of simply making discussing the concept of boycotting Israel a felony is odious and illegal, but practically speaking, actually supporting the policy of BDS has been illegal since the 1970s, even on an individual level although you would never be prosecuted for refusing to buy products made in Israel as an individual. BDS support will have to come from elsewhere in the West as it is impossible for a US business.

If all you have is "it's anti-semitism" I'll take that as a win. For someone who seemed so angry that Russia might have influenced an election, you sure look like a hypocrite here. Imagine if Trump made it a felony to sanction Russia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Big surprise: our current batch of elected agents (since representatives would be the wrong term since they do very little to represent anyone but themselves) are more concerned with the interests of big money and not the general population.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

If all you have is "it's anti-semitism" I'll take that as a win. For someone who seemed so angry that Russia might have influenced an election, you sure look like a hypocrite here. Imagine if Trump made it a felony to sanction Russia.
    Well you shouldn't, because you'd be defining down "winning" to mean basically nothing (but thats what Trumpkins do I suppose).

Go search my post history.

Name -> Skroe
    Keyword-> "No friend of Israel"

You will see that I've said that I'm not a friend of Israel whatsoever, and I find our relationship with them completely warped. They're America's shittiest ally, and far less important than for whatever reason we say they are.

I generally speaking, don't give much of a crap about Israel. They're another country, and one that has said one thing to us then done another for far too long.

But I know a deflection when I see one. I know a bullshit post to cover one's political ass when I see it. And you sir *points* did exactly what the alt-right has been doing since "collusion" moved from "never happened!!!! Fake News!" to "it's not illegal anyway!". The antisemitic undercurrent in the alt-right has always been very strong.

Like really... you people honestly think this lame attempt is going to somehow reduce the pressure? That's just insulting.

Deleted

yeah because the overall point the alt right has about Israel is entirely unwarranted.
    Its not like AIPAC didn't just get 43 senators to endorse something that if Trump proposed it would make the liberal intelligentsia go nuts on some very valid Civil rights grounds?

Well you shouldn't, because you'd be defining down "winning" to mean basically nothing (but thats what Trumpkins do I suppose).

Go search my post history.

Name -> Skroe
    Keyword-> "No friend of Israel"

You will see that I've said that I'm not a friend of Israel whatsoever, and I find our relationship with them completely warped. They're America's shittiest ally, and far less important than for whatever reason we say they are.

I generally speaking, don't give much of a crap about Israel. They're another country, and one that has said one thing to us then done another for far too long.

But I know a deflection when I see one. I know a bullshit post to cover one's political ass when I see it. And you sir *points* did exactly what the alt-right has been doing since "collusion" moved from "never happened!!!! Fake News!" to "it's not illegal anyway!". The antisemitic undercurrent in the alt-right has always been very strong.

Like really... you people honestly think this lame attempt is going to somehow reduce the pressure? That's just insulting.
    Either you agree with the bill or you don't. What you're argument basically is..... is anyone who supports trump hates Jews, and this is how you deflect away from actual substance

Either you agree with the bill or you don't. What you're argument basically is..... is anyone who supports trump hates Jews, and this is how you deflect away from actual substance
    I know you have a hard time with reading comprehension but come on man! You weren't even trying that time!

I wouldn't say AIPAC represents Jewish interests, or even Israeli interests at large. They're a lobby strictly for Likud and their coalition.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I know you have a hard time with reading comprehension but come on man! You weren't even trying that time!
    Another deflection

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Really?

In a world where [the current incarnation of] Turkey exist and is your ally you still manage to pick any other country than Turkey as your worst ally?