Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah ladies hate Ryan gosling why would they want to watch blade runner. Dudes uglier than a malnourished rat.

Dazed and confused - 9/10. Wish we got more movies like this these days. Chilled, great music and an enjoyable ride with memorable characters even if the acting is hit and miss. Probably the best high school movie ive seen. "Got any weed? Be a lot cooler if you did"
    Try Everyone Wants Some. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2937696/

Same director as Dazed and Confused and the above film is kinda like a sequel.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

15+ Year Old Account
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

2/10
    What a piece of shit. And I'm a huge sci-fi fan.

There are so many things wrong with it.
    The movie starts with some barely civilized species who look like they live in Tanzania and have small lizard pets who can multiply things by shitting them.
    Then their planet gets destroyed. Fast forward 30 years later they have shields and technology spacefaring civilizations can't penetrate... Yet they still walk around half naked and with spears.
    Also, they are made mysterious and dangerous because every soldier humans sent to their zone has not returned, yet the alien race is later described as extremely peaceful and forgiving.

Valerian is a beta male who put on a tough guy accent. He just doesn't fit in the whole theme.
    Also, while chasing after the kidnapped captain, he breaks down walls that keep a big sea and no one really cares about the outcome.
    Valerian is a huge idiot with a microscopic brain and trying to show off his huge dick. Ok I would've bought it if THE ROCK played him, but not some short babyfaced kid.
    And the blonde chick is kicking around poor harmless lizards. What the actual fuck?
    And while she's being prepped to getting eaten by some other monster aliens, Valerian hurried to prepare some stuff to save her but ended up watching overrated Rihanna do a strip dance for him

And the alien princess made a good choice by guiding Valerian the asshole who would've never helped them if he didn't get convinced by his blonde sidekick.
    This movie has no logic, it has really stupid characters. Is it made for 14 year olds?
    The only reason it's somewhat famous is because apparently it was what inspired Star Wars (like that's an achievement, Star Wars is another crappy story for the kids).

It would've been a 1/10 if the chick wasn't hot and it wasn't a sci-fi.

Junk, junk JUNK!

A Ghost Story: 7.5/10

Quite a nice one. Though need some improvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your Name. 9/10

Absolutely stunning film. Makoto Shinkai proves once more than he is one of the most underrated creators out there.

Beautiful artwork, perfect music, instantly relatable characters and a wonderful story that you'll be unable to forget for days after watching. Had me sobbing on more than one occasion. Shinkai has the ability to write "twists" that you see coming a mile away, but still hit you RIGHT in the gut when they're confirmed. It's like you see it coming, convince yourself that it just CAN'T play out the way you expect it to, but then it does and it hurts all the more, because you'd convinced yourself it wouldn't go down that way.

I wont go into detail... But the Magic Hour scene absolutely destroyed me.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    (Oh yeah, no one takes me seriously so they disregarded it. :/) Lols.

I still don't have time to watch a movie. I checked out Citizen Kane sort of by like. Clicking the time bar at a few points to see what it was like...yeah..............it's like some super old movie from a different era that my grandpa would like. I saw this lady act all pouty and entitled and it was like...that was good acting or how women behaved from the time? It was weird. (Omg I'm being sexist again.)
    I simply can't imagine why no one takes you seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder Woman: 6/10

Started off decently and had an interesting story to tell, but that got replaced by slow motion anime fights with anime bad guys later on that had me wondering why I even bothered in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Wonder Woman: 6/10

Started off decently and had an interesting story to tell, but that got replaced by slow motion anime fights with anime bad guys later on that had me wondering why I even bothered in the first place.
    I feel like it was a great movie until the last ten minutes where Zack Snyder turned up to do his usual crap for a final battle scene.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Watched Ninja Scroll (1991, anime) on desktop last night. It's animated, but it's like 90s action animated.

Let's see, how do I say this...I went in with a lot of bias thinking it was gonna be the G word. And there ARE a lot of cheesy/cliche moments. I thought I was going to have to call it not_a_movie, but it does seem to be a movie. But only barely, because it tells you just what you need to know. However, it doesn't really set up exposition for the world or characters at all, and so even if it is self contained as a movie, it's somewhat lacking because it just throws you into the story. Which is okay but I can't help but feel like I was missing some enrichment by seeing only the movie and not other content.

The other thing about rating this as a movie is that I have to take some points off because it's kind of niche. Like, regardless of age/gender, anyone can watch Frozen because it's somewhat neutral, even if it caters to kids/should-be-adults-but-are-still_kids. You'll have a hard time convincing me that a majority females or old people won't be snooty to actually watch this. Personally, as a guy who grew up watching japanese cartoons and who likes action, this movie was sort of like a guilty pleasure for me so I'm biased toward liking/being fine with it.

ANYWAY.

Story was surprisingly fast paced.
    Animation wasn't lazy.
    Some action was cliche but for the most part I guess it was okay.

And it was pretty dark. First 10 minutes of the movie, the guy I thought was going to be an important good guy gets his arms ripped off and killed and the female lead gets kidnapped and raped.

I thought the story and action were pretty good. Personally, my interest was kept for the whole movie (after the first 5 minutes), so I'm actually glad I watched it. So if I rated it compared to what it could've been or what the standard was for an action 90s anime movie, I think I'd actually give it like 9/10. But back in reality, compared to real movies, it's a bit too niche and compared to great movies, the flaws exist, so I'll give it like...4/10? (Which is pretty fucking high.) Thanks for the recommendation.
    I mean it's basically just a gory kung fu/fantasy movie done as anime, so it's... simplistic? But that's not really a criticism. I only watched the movie and not the series (it wasn't an adaptation, was it? Like the film came first and based on its success they made the series?) so I only judged it as that as well.

But it was quite good if you're into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

I mean it's basically just a gory kung fu/fantasy movie done as anime, so it's... simplistic? But that's not really a criticism. I only watched the movie and not the series (it wasn't an adaptation, was it? Like the film came first and based on its success they made the series?) so I only judged it as that as well.

But it was quite good if you're into that.
    I think the series continued on the story from the movie but it didnt quite capture the creativity of the villains or its fluid story telling.

Also dont give in to the PC crowd @Blueobelisk rape is a part of life sadly, particularly in times of war and to deny it in art seems rather pointless.

I recommended it because its a break from the carbon copy films we get today. How many films have marvel made in the last 10 years again
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2017-11-13 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Blade Runner 2049: 9.5/10

I am a huge fan of Blade Runner as well as all Scifi-noir and it was definitely a worthy sequel to the original. Don't go watch this expecting a fast paced action packed flick, instead savor the quiet and moody times that allow you to think about the complex plot and how the characters are woven into it.

Just a heads up, this is not a movie to take your Wife or Girlfriend to. The Blade Runner universe is more geared towards men and manly tastes.
    Uh, my wife really enjoyed it with me.

Actually I don't see that much of a gender bias in its appeal. In fact I thought the whole female cast was fantastic. And you know, Ryan Gosling is in it...

There is a definite division in the audience, but IMO it's more about whether you're willing to be patient with a slow and cerebral movie that isn't about action.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the series continued on the story from the movie but it didnt quite capture the creativity of the villains or its fluid story telling.

Also dont give in to the PC crowd @Blueobelisk rape is a part life, particularly in times of war and to deny it in art seems rather pointless.
    IIRC the character in question is... sexually assaulted but not "raped"?

I don't want to start a big discussion about this topic though...

IIRC the character in question is... sexually assaulted but not "raped"?

I don't want to start a big discussion about this topic though...
    Yeah guess its more assault but its borderline. Also theres a scene in a Dojo where one of the leaders is...."servicing" a maiden. Quite likely its an abuse of power and not consenting. I think its refreshing seeing sexism in art because its defiantly in the real world, so open discussion about it and being used in art creatively it can be quite beneficial. Just not something you want to watch with your grandmother in the room....

Yeah guess its more assault but its borderline. Also theres a scene in a Dojo where one of the leaders is...."servicing" a maiden. Quite likely its an abuse of power and not consenting. I think its refreshing seeing sexism in art because its defiantly in the real world, so open discussion about it and being used in art creatively it can be quite beneficial. Just not something you want to watch with your grandmother in the room....
    Yes I think both of those scenes are meant to highlight the treatment of women in the period.

The period of a made up fantasy version of Edo Japan with monsters and magical kung fu. But still :P

Also, there's a lot of violence and limbs flying off and the sort, so yeah unless your grandmother is pretty badass I wouldn't recommend it.

Yes I think both of those scenes are meant to highlight the treatment of women in the period.

The period of a made up fantasy version of Edo Japan with monsters and magical kung fu. But still :P

Also, there's a lot of violence and limbs flying off and the sort, so yeah unless your grandmother is pretty badass I wouldn't recommend it.
    For sure. Humanity can be very cruel. Not sure what is worse, the men going off to war to be brutally killed or the woman waiting to see who returns and if they have a new horde of "partners". Sadly woman have been used as spoils of war for centuries. Genghis khan wouldn't ask nicely when he sacked cities and took hundreds of wives

For sure. Humanity can be very cruel. Not sure what is worse, the men going off to war to be brutally killed or the woman waiting to see who returns and if they have a new horde of "partners". Sadly woman have been used as spoils of war for centuries. Genghis khan wouldn't ask nicely when he sacked cities and took hundreds of wives
    Let's just say, war is pretty awful.

Not that people didn't manage to be awful to each other in peacetime too.

Silent Voice 10/10

The trailer does not make this movie justice, makes it seems like an anime love story, but its not. Its a women written manga, adapted to screen by a women director. When people say women can bring a different viewpoint to stories, its probably thinking about such a movie. Im against quotas and shit, but at the same time skilled women are just as important and they often have hard time getting the recognition they should have. The movie is actually pretty unique in the sense that its a movie about bullying, but its not the total focus of the story. Infact in a bold move the story is about the bully himself, avoid what hollywood would generally do and make the bully simply bad, because bullying is bad. Without being apologist for the bullying either.

The story is about a deaf girl, Shoko Nishimiya, transfering to the main character, Shoya Ishida, school. The main character is pretty much the class funny guy and starts bullying the girl to the enjoyment of many of his classmates until a breaking point is reached. These events have different impact to both main characters and side characters, five years later Ishida finds himself guilt ridden and starts on a path to make amends. The movie is about Self hatred, friendship, anxiety and communication.

Pros:
    -Score is wonderful, its actually a clever use of music to convey people with earing disability and is actually a concrete choice of piano usage. There are many article about this online, this would be too long to explain on my own.
    -Proper use of sign language, love it.
    -Wonderful animation.
    -Touching story.

Possible cons: (personally the movie had none)
    -If you cry easily, well good luck.
    -Some of the bullying parts are quiet infuriating and realistic at the same time of kids their ages. Actually the teacher was the most infuriating part to me, because i know this happens in real life and many adults let this kind of stuff fly until it goes way too far, as it did here.
    -Ueno is a harsh character to watch, but true to the real world.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-11-14 at 05:38 PM.

The Babysitter: Netflix Original Movie

7/10

Kind of a run of the mill corny comedy with pretty great one liners and jokes, surprisingly not afraid to go there on something and was actually refreshing because I came into this move looking for some background noise but it actually grabbed my attention and I found my self procrastinating. The main negative thing I found about this movie was how hard it tried to relate to people, it really narrowed the crowd and probably isn't for everyone because of that. Would I recommend it? sure, but I won't go out of my way to do it. A good conversation topic at best if people ask what to watch on netflix.

Justice League (2017) - 7/10

A generous 7/10. I thought the movie started off pretty meh, but it gradually got better. The movie is flawed and not super well written, but it does manage to be entertaining enough and not kill off the DCEU. If you like the Justice League, you'll probably get a kick from seeing those characters together on the big screen. I was reminded of the Justice League animated series at times.

The movie has some cool scenes, but it is also very "fluffy", as YouTube critic Chris Stuckmann put it. Very lighthearted and not too serious, which makes the whole thing feel pretty inconsequential. But there is hope for the future of the universe, which is something.

Justice League - 0/10
    What else did you expect?

- - - Updated - - -

on a second thought, 1/10 , for the lasso gag

3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 8/10

Not as good as In Bruges. Just to get it out of the way. 3 Billboards is not fatalistic or grand in themes or execution. Though it is just as strong in characterization and the complexity of those characters motivations. Wonderful performances and very good filmmaking- but the writing is the star of the film. Brilliantly written; nuanced, funny and humane in all the right doses. Never falls into cliche or caricature even when the film intentionally gets real close to the line.

Princess Cyd 7/10

Lovely and thoughtful- I loved the performances a great deal. A simple yet effective narrative that succeeds on the strength of its performances to carry material that is on the surface level very familiar. The 3rd act is a little problematic in that it gets really close to being a little too neat for it’s own good. A few contrivances at the end broke the spell of youth the first 2/3rds wove so well.

Ladybird 5/10

Kinda charming and cute at times, but also annoying. A rather predictable and ho-hum narrative with oh-so quirky performances of ‘real people’ who say clever things in the whirlwind of indoe writer verisimilitude. This shit is super overrated.

Murder of the Orient Express 5/10

Well directed & photographed but not very thrilling or plausible. The central problem with the film is that it does not invite the audience to participate in the mystery (which is outlandishly implausible). So there is no thrill to ‘figuring it out’ on your own.

Daddy’s Home 2 4/10

I actually liked the performances a lot. The principal actors are playing rather effective characitures and many of the scenes when they are not asked to pratfall about are well done. The issue is there is a lot of overblown, forced and ridiculous situational comedy here that is at best inoffensive and worst boring as fuck.

Wonder 4/10

Cloying, super earnest. Too cloying and earnest. Kinda vomit inducing.

Mudbound 5/10

Really well directed- wonderfully so. However, this is not a very compelling story. It relies on a lot of historical touchstones to add “gravitas” to the proceedings. But the film doesn’t really have anything to say philosophically on it’s own outside of the historical context. So it all ends up being another way of saying, ‘shitty things happened in the past. Isn’t that a bummer?’

Justice League 5/10

Not terrible, not worth writing home about either. A pure nothing of a movie- full of cliche, lame yet inoffensive jokes and quips and CGI whnateverthefuck. Terribly unambitious and unartful. It’s not even like photographed well. What-fucking-ever.

Last Flag Flying 2/10

One of Linkletter’s worst films- if not the worst. Crazy tone issues, poor writing, cliched writing and badly edited? What the fuck, Richie? This movie is all over the place and there isn’t a single reason why this had to be made. The acting is bad too.

Intent to Destroy 4/10

Has no idea what it wants to be- is this about the Armenian genocide or a shitty romance film that bombed which happened to be set during the supposed Armenian genocide? It scucces about being neither interesting or compelling to both subjects. The Promise blew, dudes.

The Babysitter 6/10

Very enjoyable horror romp. Especially enjoyed the cinematography and direction. Not enough gore for a gal such as myself. I am fine without the overall themes and ending, however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Wonder 4/10
    Cloying, super earnest. Too cloying and earnest. Kinda vomit inducing.

Awwwm I was toying with seeing that, I thought My mom would think it was cute,
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    The Justice league 4/10

I think its bad when the best part about the movie is Wonder woman lol... no but realy from all the DC movies that came out i only liked Wonder Woman lol Suicide squad was pretty bad Man of steel was oke and Batman vs Superman was kinda terrible so im not realy looking forward at more of them tbh and i realy dont know what they need to do for the movies to become good also they are destroying my love for Batman as i realy dont like how Ben Afflect is portraying him i have to watch the Dark Knight trillogy after every DC movie with him in it just to make me feel better.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2017-11-18 at 09:15 PM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog