Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jitzul View Post
    ya becaues the fact that if your cc is not perfect then the whole group/raid will wipe. if you think cc is a minor role id hate to see what you think is a major role
    The problem you see in WotLK though is that so many players only know how to push their DPS buttons. No one is perfect but if you are bad at managing CC if you are given a target you will have to get better at it thus pushing you to become a better player. Over all one would hope it would make more of the player base more familiar and responsible with their class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RakuRaku View Post
    Blizzard has also set it up for shamans to be an emergency off tanks, at least for 5 mans. With their new taunt (Rockbiter was changed a bit, if I recall)

They're not crit immune, or any of that- but they can probably hold a few mobs for roughly three seconds while the real tank is BR'ed.
    I think it would be cool if enhancement shamans were changed to be tanks. Shaman is my favorite healer, and Elemental is decent (prefer my mage). If enhancement was a tank, I could play my shaman exclusively

im rlly srry if it seems like im trolling but from the way a lot of people are talking they make seem like cc or death
    That was the model of vanilla and TBC. They're not going to go back to that (even though I'd support it fully). It's going to be "CC or have a little bit of difficulty".

Quote Originally Posted by Vorondil View Post
    Man your tank must've sucked if u had to do all of that for one trashpack.
    You must have never played in BC if you think that's true...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Forms of CC:
    Mage: Sheep, Frost Nova, all their slows for kiting
    Priest: MC, Shackle, Fear
    Warlock: Fears, Banish and Seduce and pet-tanking
    Rogue: Sap, Blind, Stuns and Sprint(anyone else remember rogues pissing off a mob, sprinting away and then vanishing as a form of cc?)
    Druid: Cyclone and Roots and Hibernate and offtanking and dash(same as rogues dash-cc)
    Hunter: Traps and Kiting and pet tanking
    Shaman: Earthbind and Frostshock Kiting and offtanking
    Warrior: Stuns and offtanking
    DK: Kiting and Hungering Cold for frosties (10 seconds is longer than you think) and offtanking
    Paladin: Fear and Stuns and offtanking

I probably missed a few. Every class is capable of CCing. Yes, some are better than others. But if you think that you NEED one class over the other, you are WRONG.

fixed
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    fixed
    Thanks =)
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.

so many retarded people - yes you will use CC, until you get decked out in 85 raiding epics, then you\ll throw it in the trash can and aoe the shit out of everything.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I do miss long gone days of fear/CoR emergency CC. =)

Quote Originally Posted by backor View Post
    For me, it's bad. I don't like single target tanking at all. I picked my class because it excelled at AOE tanking (pally), but now it seems all that is gonna be useless in cataclysm. Now before you flame saying I'm some idiot who can't tank or CC or etc, I wasn't around at level cap in vanilla or BC.

What I find fun is multiple targets at once in my face. I don't like going CC this, CC that, then I'll tank this mob until it's dead. Then move on to the next one. That's just really boring to me.

What do you think about CC being brought back in Cata?
    CC = crowd control, just a tip
    and CC is good to control the crowd. I always use it on my warrior. to fear enemies, very useful

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    so many retarded people - yes you will use CC, until you get decked out in 85 raiding epics, then you\ll throw it in the trash can and aoe the shit out of everything.
    Not in raids.. Ofc outgearing a hc will be much easier. Hasn't it always been like that? What is your point?
    Pandaren Warrior - Lv 95, full T17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonus View Post
    Since this was early in the patch, we decided to go with the 4 tank strat. We ask him to go tank Lord Mograine. He then instantly tells us that "he cannot tank the godfather of DK's, it wouldnt be right to raise my axe against him". He instantly gquits and hearths out.

well there were a few instances like heroic shattered halls that were tough to overgear. until they nerfed the content anyway
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    Fear kiting a single mob using CoR to break the fear when he strayed too close to an enemy pack. Using Enslave Demon to gain control of an enemy succubus. Using that succubus to seduce another target. banishing a demon that would be less than advantageous to control. Using Howl and death coil to fill in the gaps on fearing a second target. All at the same time.
    I miss Shadow Labyrinth.
    TBC heroics were the best. I actually enjoyed playing a dps back then.

well there were a few instances like heroic shattered halls that were tough to overgear. until they nerfed the content anyway
    yes, and many wotlk instances are still extremely hard to clear. Like gundrak or Nexus

nexus is hard to clear?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    yes, and many wotlk instances are still extremely hard to clear. Like gundrak or Nexus
    How are either of those even remotely hard to clear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtOT3i0lvpM

There's an example of CC in normal Throne of Tides. There's nothing heavy at all; just a few freezing traps that I saw. I hope heroic mode is even more challenging and not so drastically outgeared later on.

I think that part of Wraths issue was that gear inflated faster than intended because of the introduction of hard more raid content. We are able to steam roll more content than we were able to in BC because of the greater disparity in item level VS instance level.

Even in good raid gear you could not simply lololol your way through a 5 man heroic. You had to pull packs separately, CC one or two things, actually follow a strat. That won't be an issue come cata, since we have no reason to assume raid design will change. As I recall they already have theoretical Neltharion loot made.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

nexus is hard to clear?
    yes, you should try it. But try normal mode first to learn tactics

CC generally requires about 10 seconds of thought and a few seconds of effort.

First - Hmm. I have a mage, a DK, and a ret Paly DPS. That means I have polymorph and Repentance available. In pulls of 5 or more, I can assign two targets to be CC'd and tank the other 3....

Second - Ok, when I mark a target with the moon, Mage sheeps. When I mark a target with a star, Paladin repents. If I mark a skull, that's the Focus Fire target.

Hmmm, maybe I should just make a macro to start my runs....

If you can't do these things, you should NEVER be tanking.

5+ years Warrior tank and a Paly Tank through part of Wrath... I miss the old days of tanking in BC and it actually being a challenging job. Talk shortage meant more work for me, which was great.

In the modern age of LFG tool and random dungeons... who knows.. a lot of fail tanks are going to either step up and learn how to actually tank or get rolled...
    Last edited by heerobya; 2010-07-22 at 12:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorondil View Post
    Man your tank must've sucked if u had to do all of that for one trashpack.
    As someone already noted, this was pretty much standard in BC "CC-or-die". You had to do everything to control the mobs on many pulls or you would wipe. This is just a warlocky way of doing it

im rlly srry if it seems like im trolling but from the way a lot of people are talking they make seem like cc or death
    We (i.e. BC and prior players) understand you may be nervous, but believe us, the game was more fun when each class was required to use all of its unique abilities before overgearing everything and only getting to use their aoe spells (which btw will still happen, just not as fast as it happened in WotLK). Blizzard even said they, unfortunately, would not bring back "CC-or-die" but just some CC so it should be even less of an issue than you think. The best way to think about it, assuming you have done some PvE raiding, is the kind of CC that was required in some of the Ulduar trash (like the packs before General Vezax) at the absolute most. However, it will not be the extreme of the full-on PvP style CC required in Faction Champions of Trial of the Crusader where you basically needed 100% CC uptime on every target but the tanked one for almost the entirety of the fight!

Also, DKs are not only good kiters but apart from a very specific shammy build, they make the best spellcast silencers and interrupters in the game! It's why they were originally considered the anti-caster class. Seriously, have a look at the range of interrupts available and more importantly how cheap and often they are available. I used to love silencing casters on my DK

Finally, as a main druid, while we do not have particularly strong CC, our entangling roots is superb for single (melee) targets and slightly less so for Cyclone and caster targets.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2010-07-22 at 01:12 PM.