Thread: Who is Knaak??

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DownButStillOut View Post
    He is an author worst than Stephon King, and if you touch him, you'll imeadiatly like his books.
    You've apparently never read any Stephen King books. If you had read say, The Stand or The Dark Tower series, you would realize that he is one of the most creative and epic authors who has ever lived.
    "I will seek out my enemies, and woe betide those who set themselves against me."
    -King Varian Wrynn

Deleted
    hez livin' in ur collen rapin' all ur lore

I will get flamed for this but people who typically like Knaak or don't find a problem with his writing are not avid readers.

I can see how his books are cool to adolescent males who like comic books and anime over actual reading. (and there's nothing wrong with that)
    Elementium on Knaak:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    He's the Micheal bay of books. He sunk his claws into a popular franchise and is pumping out books with very little plot and a whole lot of descriptions of Rhonins hair and awesomeness and because anyone who wants to know the once rich warcraft lore will buy it the same as a Transformers movie because it's something they love and they keep hoping.
    ~The naaru have not forgotten us... BUT CHRIST METZEN HAS!~

Alls i can say is i'm glad Christie Golden has been put in charge of the Cataclysm novel, i don't she is in possession of a lore-bludgeon and a Rhonin and Krasus hardon.

Quote Originally Posted by eucatastrophe View Post
    I will get flamed for this but people who typically like Knaak or don't find a problem with his writing are not avid readers.

I actually think you might have a point there. Even if his writing seems to be a catastrophe at least there are people who read his stuff. I suppose all reading is good reading in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRoland23 View Post
    You've apparently never read any Stephen King books. If you had read say, The Stand or The Dark Tower series, you would realize that he is one of the most creative and epic authors who has ever lived.
    Yeah, that kind of raised my eyebrows as well. Stephen King writes popular entertainment, they're not supposed to be deep and intellectually stimulating. They're brain candy, but candy isn't inherently bad. As a matter of fact, candy is delicious.

Dark Tower and the Stand, yes. I also really liked Needful Things, Salem's Lot, and Pet Semetary. Very fun and well-paced stories with likable characters. Although SK's not the best at writing women either, sometimes. >_>
    That's just between you, me, and my pal Captain Winky.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    true still nice to see that thrall still regrets his biggest(and likely his only up to the whole wrathgate debacle) failure,saving the woman that he and the enire horde owes there freedom and lives.
    in truth she kinda saved the whole of azeroth if you think about it.
    Indeed, but I think Knaak was piggybacking on Christie Golden's work a bit there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuvlycuddles View Post
    Alls i can say is i'm glad Christie Golden has been put in charge of the Cataclysm novel, i don't she is in possession of a lore-bludgeon and a Rhonin and Krasus hardon.
    I thank her for Beyond the Dark Portal being decent.

Quote Originally Posted by levitate View Post
    I actually think you might have a point there. Even if his writing seems to be a catastrophe at least there are people who read his stuff. I suppose all reading is good reading in some ways.
    I don't see why. I put reading materials to the same standard as every other kind of media. If you read a crappy book it's no more meritorious than if you watched a crappy movie or television show. Crap's crap.

Yeah, maybe that angsty, metal-loving, long-haired 15 year old will decide to pick up a classic like Tolkien, or something after reading Knaak. Who knows! :P
    Elementium on Knaak:
    He's the Micheal bay of books. He sunk his claws into a popular franchise and is pumping out books with very little plot and a whole lot of descriptions of Rhonins hair and awesomeness and because anyone who wants to know the once rich warcraft lore will buy it the same as a Transformers movie because it's something they love and they keep hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Elanale View Post
    I also really liked Needful Things,

I actually finished reading Needful Things not long ago. Brilliant book!

Right now I'm reading The Cell. I guess I'm having a Stephen King period.

If you read a crappy book it's no more meritorious than if you watched a crappy movie or television show. Crap's crap.

There are some basic rules on how NOT to write and it seems Knaak is breaking those rules time and time again without a care in the world. Those who don't know about these basic writing rules, and never have any aspirations on becoming writers themselves, can happily keep reading his books. Hopefully they'll move on to read something that is better written.

I don't think J.K Rowling wrote her H.P books exceptionally well. The last three books needed heavy editing imo. But she had ideas that she presented in an interesting way and, dare I say it, she got millions of children to read books in a time when they rather sit by the computer and play games. I applaud that.

Deleted
    Nope, Rhonin is totally Knaak's creation. Unfortunately. I don't necessarily hate Rhonin, I like the idea of a rebellious , tortued mage playing an important role and finally becoming the leader of the Kirin Tor. But the overpowerdness, marrying the hot elf lady, having him play one of THE major roles in Azeroth's history ever... bit much, bit much.

Was actually pretty damn funny that, given his powers all around, he was scared shitless in Day of the Dragon in situations where a mage could just use Slow Fall. Seriously, giving him all this stuff but not be able to levitate or something? lol....

15+ Year Old Account
    Richard A. Knaak is one of the tie-in authors that writes and co-writes World of Warcraft novels and some of the manga stories (but not the comics). He's primarily a Dragonlance novelist, known for a number of books with "Dragon this" and "that of the Dragon" in their titles.

His writing is mediocre at best, but Chris Metzen was a fan of his Dragonlance novels. That's apparantly the sole reason he keeps getting asked to write Warcraft stories, because he's almost universally reviled by the fans.

If a Warcraft story involves dragons, he's almost certainly the author, because he's fuckin' crazy about dragons. His most notable Warcraft creations are Rhonin Redhair, leader of the Kirin Tor, and Krasus/Korialstraz, Alexstraza's mate. He somehow manages to shoehorn at least one or the other into almost all of his stories, even if they have no business being there (such as Rhonin traveling 10,000 years back in time to teach Illidan magic during the War of the Ancients trilogy).

His most recent book was Stormrage, which told the story of Malfurion's return from the Emerald Dream. He's also currently working on the Dragons of Outland manga trilogy, which is a Burning Crusade-era series telling the story of the Netherwing dragonflight.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2010-08-15 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eucatastrophe View Post
    Yeah, maybe that angsty, metal-loving, long-haired 15 year old will decide to pick up a classic like Tolkien, or something after reading Knaak. Who knows! :P

I'm neither 15, long-haired or in any particular favour of metal. But I would consider reading a couple of his books just to find all the mistakes he's doing and be sure not to do it myself in my own writing.

Deleted
    A lore criminal
    but please dont just join in and laugh at him cause we do, read some of his work and decided wether u like him!
    I think you'll make the right choice

(by the way by work i meant the stuff he shits out he ass and hands to metzen wile taking a big bag of money)

There are some basic rules on how NOT to write and it seems Knaak is breaking those rules time and time again without a care in the world. Those who don't know about these basic writing rules, and never have any aspirations on becoming writers themselves, can happily keep reading his books. Hopefully they'll move on to read something that is better written.

I don't think J.K Rowling wrote her H.P books exceptionally well. The last three books needed heavy editing imo. But she had ideas that she presented in an interesting way and, dare I say it, she got millions of children to read books in a time when they rather sit by the computer and play games. I applaud that.
    I disagree with your assessment of Rowling. Her books aren't high literature, yes, and they do suffer from some plot contrivances that are a little hard to swallow, but when you read them it's easy to forgive that because they are entertaining, epic, and the characters are very easy to care about. And she's got a good sense of humor. So I would describe them as good books, because they are entertaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuvlycuddles View Post
    Thank god for that!

but when you read them it's easy to forgive that because they are entertaining, epic, and the characters are very easy to care about. And she's got a good sense of humor. So I would describe them as good books, because they are entertaining.

They're entertaining, epic and funny because she presented her ideas in an interesting way. That's what makes them readable and good. So I don't we disagree at all.

But I would consider reading a couple of his books just to find all the mistakes he's doing and be sure not to do it myself in my own writing.
    That hardly constitutes enjoying his books now, does it? =P

Edit: I also think JKR is a brilliant storyteller.
    Elementium on Knaak:

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else think his books would have made way better comics instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.