Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Would you consider someone like me, addicted?

So here is my deal. I been playing since 2004. I started raiding during Molten Core. I remember my first piece of tier 3 on my hunter. In 04', I was in college. College was easy, I went out and partied, and played tons of wow. I got married when I was 20 years old. My wife, who Ive known since I was in 5th grade, knew I had always been a gamer. I guess she never understood how gamers are though.

When we got married, we obcviously had no kids. My job is a little out of the ordinary. I work 14 days straight, with no wow, then i get to be home 14 days straight. So as you can imagine, during the day me and my wife could do whatever we wanted.

My wow habit got pretty bad for a while and I was forced to quit. It was much needed. It was all that I did during the day and night. I was always in a fowl mood. Anyway, that was a few years ago.

As of now, Weve been married 5 years, and have 2 kids. The kiddies go to sleep around 8:00pm every night, and she is busy with online schooling to become a teacher every night. I pretty much put them to bed and everythign and let her get a head strat on school. we finally made an agreement, that after I get the kids to bed, and she starts doing school, that i could play wow again.

My rules pretty much, like i said, I do not play AT ALL during the day. Unless the kids are napping and i catch like an hour break. other than that I only play after i get the kids to bed at night. Then I normally play from around 8pm-12am which is around 4 hours a day. I wonder if im playing too much? it kinda scares me. but I am with her and my kids from 7am-8pm when they wake up and go to sleep.

i do the yard, go to the grocery store with her, play with the kids, go to football games with them...

I just think that WoW can be a hobby, just like say golf is. I know guys who go out during the day and golf for 4-5 hours at a time. And i really cant see the difference in it. Sorry for the long post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering some people play this game for days on end I say you're doing pretty good.
    4 hours for a game you really like isn't that bad, as long as it's not interfering with your life and relationships then whats the harm?
    Unofficial Playable Sethrak Thread: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...2796109?page=1

I do have to admit though. I always am thinking about what to do when i log on. Like what professions I want to level, or what alt to level next and so on...

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is a game simply made to make you addicted. Personally Im not sure how much I would want to play WoW after Im done with college. Aslong as it isnt getting in the way, which you say it isnt, then it can be a hobby but you must be careful walking the fine line between hobby and addiction. On that note I dont think many people are truly addicted to WoW, it just takes place of other social events, albeit probably not a good alternative overall. Once it starts cutting off your real life responsibilites then its time to take a (permanate?) break.

TL;DR: Love kids and wife, play as hobby

yikes i golf everyday for 18 holes, only difference is that ur working on a tan and are surrounded by real people while u can get smashed on the course. While wow just seems to get the stereotype for pale skinned social outcasts.

just a bit odd for someone to grasp u wanting to spend 4-5 hours playing a video game by urself shutout for the outside world

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say that you're addicted.
    However, you need to work on your spelling "strat" away.

15+ Year Old Account
    That is, by a wide margin, not addicted.

As it has already been noted and you likely already know anyway, there are people (a lot of them) who have pretty much entirely forsaken their "real" lives for Warcraft. This isn't exclusive to Warcraft, but given how many people play, it's a lot more noticeable. A pretty good sign of this is when somebody has, apparently, nothing but contempt for Warcraft but continues to log on for hours every day instead of face their inadequacies in the physical world.

It's a great hobby. It should stay that way.

seriously use that four hours to have sex. girls > wow

It's not an addiction unless you can't break the habit. If she wants to spend an evening together and you go "Nope I can't, I've got to raid." or you do agree, but then think about WoW the whole time, THEN you have a problem.

4 hours a night isn't bad. There are some people that spend all their free time in the game.

Imo, you've found a schedule that fits into your free time, and does not interrupt any of your other obligations as a husband/father/employee, so why worry?

It's only natural to think about what you want to do when you log on. I mean, you play the game because you enjoy it. If you played only to log in and never have anything to do, THEN I'd think that would be kind of an addiction.

All you have to worry about is bending your set rules. Don't do it if you feel it'll snowball into worse situations.

Other then that, I hope you have fun with WoW, and may your travels in Azeroth be glorious!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

10+ Year Old Account
    You're married and have kids, just don't lose those and who gives a shit what you do with your free time.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    4 hours a day isn't addicted, you're doing it in your free time, its a hobby.

Bloodsail Admiral Overmind the 3rd's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    By the sound of things, you're doing fine.

When I played, most people in my guild were online ~5 hours each day, almost regardless of real-world commitments. Even so, that was nothing compared to some people.
    Serve the hive
    Feel the groove
    I control
    The way you move

good to see the positive feedback Thanks fellas. I will make sure my rules stay the same, and make sure I spend some nights solely with the wifey and not on wow....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladonious!! View Post
    This is the kind of feedback where I can only assume the person providing it has never seen a naked woman if not on the internet.

Deleted
    No you are fine mate. I would suggest that if you ever say to one of your kids 'No Jimmy (or whatever) I can't play ball/go to the park/take you swimming as I am in the middle of raiding ICC!' that you would have to look on it as a problem but it seems to me you have a nice system worked out and have your priorities in order. People need to stop seeing a few hours of WoW as some kind of badge of social ineptitude and just enjoy the ride.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladonious!! View Post
    Where are these women that want to have sex for four hours a night, every night while studying for school, and can I trade my gf for one?
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
    This is the kind of feedback where I can only assume the person providing it has never seen a naked woman if not on the internet.
    Or doesn't have very strong reading comprehension skills.

Or is just being immature.
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

10+ Year Old Account
    from the sounds of it, definitely not. you are no where near addicted. now if youre arguing with your wife about playing too much or something like that, just agree with her and stop playing lol. a happy wife makes a happy husband and wife > wow

----------------------------------------
    you are now consciously breathing
    ----------------------------------------

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamber View Post
    Or doesn't have very strong reading comprehension skills.

Or is just being immature.
    D. All of the above.