Poll: Should the CD be removed?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Redirect - remove the cooldown maybe?

I don't know, it seems like redirect is the natural evolution of 1v1 combat when you need to fight more than one thing. A lot of times, combo points go to waste inadvertently - either you didn't have enough energy to cast a new SnD, or someone else kills your target, whatever. Similar to how (maybe this is taboo) warlocks have a skill to transfer their dots within 20 seconds to another target, it would be nice to be able to transfer over combo points, without a cooldown. We're not transferring over all our bleeds and stuns from one person to the next, just combo points to help us get some momentum in a fight!

The redirect skill (which would've been nicer if it was a lvl 40 or something..) having a 1 minute cooldown makes it a very limited ability. I haven't tested it myself yet, obviously, but it doesn't seem like something I'm going to want to look at to see if it's ready to be used. Don't we already have enough long cooldown abilities to keep track of already, to just be looking at the combo points on the target, and a skill CD in our hotbar, and the next target that we plan on transferring the combo points to? Just my 2 cents I suppose.

I really don't see much use for redirect at all.
    And when I compare it to soul swap, the minute CD just makes me really, really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJakkass86 View Post
    I don't know, it seems like redirect is the natural evolution of 1v1 combat when you need to fight more than one thing. A lot of times, combo points go to waste inadvertently - either you didn't have enough energy to cast a new SnD, or someone else kills your target, whatever. Similar to how (maybe this is taboo) warlocks have a skill to transfer their dots within 20 seconds to another target, it would be nice to be able to transfer over combo points, without a cooldown. We're not transferring over all our bleeds and stuns from one person to the next, just combo points to help us get some momentum in a fight!

The redirect skill (which would've been nicer if it was a lvl 40 or something..) having a 1 minute cooldown makes it a very limited ability. I haven't tested it myself yet, obviously, but it doesn't seem like something I'm going to want to look at to see if it's ready to be used. Don't we already have enough long cooldown abilities to keep track of already, to just be looking at the combo points on the target, and a skill CD in our hotbar, and the next target that we plan on transferring the combo points to? Just my 2 cents I suppose.
    If Redirect had no cooldown, then Redirect wouldn't exist because Blizz would just make combo points on the rogue and not the target. And Blizz has said they don't want to do that.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../bemore/simple Retired...for now.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...factoid/simple New Main.
    HOLY POWER =/= COMBO POINTS!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunt123 View Post
    I am just not willing to look RNG in the face and say "Bite me"

Quote Originally Posted by Bemore View Post
    If Redirect had no cooldown, then Redirect wouldn't exist because Blizz would just make combo points on the rogue and not the target. And Blizz has said they don't want to do that.
    hmmm this is a good point

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see a good reason why combo points don't stay with the rogue. Holy power seems to stick to the paladin, doesn't it? So what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I don't really see a good reason why combo points don't stay with the rogue. Holy power seems to stick to the paladin, doesn't it? So what's the difference?
    Holy Power =/= Combo Points. Holy Power is something a Paly gains by doing stuff to others as will as his/her self. Do something holy, you get a 'buff'. Combo Points have always been about a target and doing finishing bleeds/stuns/damage to that target. You attack a target, that target gets a 'debuff'. Poor explanation, but someone will understand.

Don't get me wrong, i would love for combo points to be on the rogue. However, Blizz has said (too lazy, someone find the blue quote) that will not happen. Hence the invention of Redirect.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../bemore/simple Retired...for now.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...factoid/simple New Main.
    HOLY POWER =/= COMBO POINTS!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunt123 View Post
    I am just not willing to look RNG in the face and say "Bite me"

Quote Originally Posted by Prandur View Post
    I really don't see much use for redirect at all.
    And when I compare it to soul swap, the minute CD just makes me really, really sad.
    This is a very good point, and warlocks can even get a glyph that makes it so the dots stay on the target, but, it gives soul swap a 10 second cd. Which means you could have dots up on three targets for a short period of time that basically cost you 2cds.

If you can't deal with target selection, you can't deal with being a Rogue.
    A good one, anyway.

Having Redirect on no CD = no DR KS on whoever you like.
    OP

With 4.0, combo points have seen a lot of changes anyway. They now linger after a mob has died so you can still use them for things like recuperate/SnD, which in and of itself is a great improvement. CPs sticking with the rogue would likely be overpowered .
    primum non nocere

Quote Originally Posted by eatedcookie View Post
    With 4.0, combo points have seen a lot of changes anyway. They now linger after a mob has died so you can still use them for things like recuperate/SnD, which in and of itself is a great improvement. CPs sticking with the rogue would likely be overpowered .
    Without a doubt, it would be.
    Target selection is and should remain a core class mechanic for Rogues. If you suck at that, you deserve to be punished by what you failed to avoid.

So then why do we have redirect at all? :\ Is there a critical moment in a fight where you absolutely need to swap combo points to an enemy? If so, do you have the time to ensure that 5 points are on said enemy before redirecting them, otherwise wasting a quickuse move that has a 1 minute cooldown?

It feels like what blizz is saying is "Here's a new skill, do what you can with it, it's all we can think of.... and don't use it for anything useful."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    Without a doubt, it would be.
    Target selection is and should remain a core class mechanic for Rogues. If you suck at that, you deserve to be punished by what you failed to avoid.
    I would like you to explain exactly how one can fail at "target selection", and how having redirect at all times would stop people from doing so.

So then why do we have redirect at all? :\ Is there a critical moment in a fight where you absolutely need to swap combo points to an enemy? If so, do you have the time to ensure that 5 points are on said enemy before redirecting them, otherwise wasting a quickuse move that has a 1 minute cooldown?

It feels like what blizz is saying is "Here's a new skill, do what you can with it, it's all we can think of.... and don't use it for anything useful."
    2's, your partner is dying and needs a good peel. Dance is down, Vanish and Prep are down, youre targeting the other person. REDIRECT -> 6S STUN, BAM. Your partner is alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I would like you to explain exactly how one can fail at "target selection", and how having redirect at all times would stop people from doing so.
    Reopening on the wrong target consecutively is punished both by not locking out the right thing and wasting Redirect when you would have it active for a legitimate switch.

Blizz already stated (also too lazy to find official comment) that arena is no longer the pvp focus of wow, it's rated bg's. That being said, did they give us a skill with a niche use in a 2s (which is the least developed-for arena grouping) so that we can save someone elses ass for a few seconds?

You know what'd be cool, if we got smokebomb at 81, and at lvl 85 we got quicker-smokebomb (passive) that reduced the cd to 1 minute. I am pretty much willing to give up redirect as a skill and take a non-skill in it's place, that's just how useless this skill sounds right now.

Here's the reality of what redirect would do. I am in a fight, I have got some momentum going on the person I'm attacking, oh look his buddy jumped in on the action - gotta switch my focus. Redirect should be the act of the rogue physically/mentally preparing to switch targets. Are rogues as a class so braindead that this seemingly masterful work of the mind can only be done once a minute? Continuing on, the enemy I just put on the back burner comes back at me half-dead and gimpy, and while I'm thoroughly embedding my dagger in one guy's gut, I look over and see him coming. Rather than pull out the dagger, and do what I just did, and say "okay you want more tough guy? bring it!", I sit there and look at him, staring, while I slowly pull my daggers out, put them back in their holsters, turn to him, pull my daggers back out, and begin stabbing once more with a *derp* look on my face - clearly abusing all possible braincells in my little rogue-mind.

Is anyone here getting what I'm saying?

Blizz already stated (also too lazy to find official comment) that arena is no longer the pvp focus of wow, it's rated bg's. That being said, did they give us a skill with a niche use in a 2s (which is the least developed-for arena grouping) so that we can save someone elses ass for a few seconds?

You know what'd be cool, if we got smokebomb at 81, and at lvl 85 we got quicker-smokebomb (passive) that reduced the cd to 1 minute. I am pretty much willing to give up redirect as a skill and take a non-skill in it's place, that's just how useless this skill sounds right now.

Here's the reality of what redirect would do. I am in a fight, I have got some momentum going on the person I'm attacking, oh look his buddy jumped in on the action - gotta switch my focus. Redirect should be the act of the rogue physically/mentally preparing to switch targets. Are rogues as a class so braindead that this seemingly masterful work of the mind can only be done once a minute? Continuing on, the enemy I just put on the back burner comes back at me half-dead and gimpy, and while I'm thoroughly embedding my dagger in one guy's guy, I look over and see him coming. Rather than pull out the dagger, and do what I just did, and say "okay you want more tough guy? bring it!", I sit there and look at him, staring, while I slowly pull my daggers out, put them back in their holsters, turn to him, pull my daggers back out, and begin stabbing once more with a *derp* look on my face - clearly abusing all possible braincells in my little rogue-mind.

Is anyone here getting what I'm saying?
    No, because game mechanics =/= Roleplay terminology.
    I roleplay. I don't take it to the extremes as incorporating it into the game.

I think 1 minute is a bit long, 30-45 seconds would be plenty as it's main use would be PvP oriented with clutch kidney shots on off-targets, such as a great way to CC a healer in 2v2 or 3v3 Arena's.

I mean as far as 2v2's go the addition of redirect actually makes it possible for certain rogue comps to beat others that previously were literally unbeatable.

Like Disc Priest/ Marks Hunter anyone good with that comp would literally have 90% CC up time on you the rogue, this makes it far harder to do that by having a quick way to swap targets and prevent one of the CC's knocking them off-rhythm

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    Reopening on the wrong target consecutively is punished both by not locking out the right thing and wasting Redirect when you would have it active for a legitimate switch.
    What? How would reopening on the same target waste your Redirect? Attacking the wrong target has almost nothing to do with redirect. Redirect can help you a little bit because at least you get to keep your combo points, however many they may be, but you've still wasted your damage, stuns, and cooldowns on "the wrong target."

This isn't about RP, this is about the same mentality blizz supposedly had when they switched hunters from mana to focus, or when they gave warriors and druids rage as a resource. It doesn't cost mana to shoot a bow, the angrier hulk is, the angrier hulk should smash. The same can be said about what is supposed to be the fastest reacting close-range fighter in the game, they aren't supposed to be idiots, don't make something like turning your head and wailing on an enemy something that can only be done efficiently once a minute - that's just stupid.

The game mechanics completely support the ability to either carry your combo points with you (which blizz won't allow), or redirect to whatever enemy you want to focus on. Are there any valid reasons that a skill that has potential to be both useful and fun, is on a 1 minute cooldown, and if so - why we have it instead of something else? So far it's been mentioned that you might have an instant KS, which is already possible in other forms that require less work than building combo points on one enemy and swapping to another. (such as premed + ambush followed by KS).