Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

C'thun's Difficulty

Okay whenever I see a discussion about "difficulty of expansions" or "old raids" or whatever, someone always makes a post about how hard C'thun was at 60, and I'm genuinely interested in why that was.

I've been in AQ 40 at 80 (loleasymode I know), and from what I've seen, all that the fight entails is adds, spreading out, and not getting hit by the giant red eye laser. It seems to me that Twin Emps (which is actually pretty fun even at 80) is harder than C'thun, and I would think that it would be even more so at 60 since 30k ticks of heals would take a while to burn down if you only had 60s to dps.

So my question is, what was it that made C'thun known as such a difficult encounter? Am I missing out on some part of the fight here?

Oh and please don't start some "wrath is eazymode lol" discussion here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently when it came out it wasn't possible to do the encounter with the gear available or something.
    "I do not concern myself with gods and spirits, either good or evil, nor do I serve any."

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrinn View Post
    But yeah, I'll give you Glwys' soul in exchange for answers, Boub!
    And that's how I lost my soul...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glwys View Post
    Apparently when it came out it wasn't possible to do the encounter with the gear available or something.
    It was bugged, it was literally impossible.

Deleted
    try to spread 40 ppl in that little room >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it was, they had to nerf him a bit so it was possible to down him.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    This.The fight was bugged to hell and that made it impossible for any guild to kill him.After the hotfixes though some guilds managed to down him even though it was a really difficult encounter back in the days

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babon View Post
    try to spread 40 ppl in that little room >.>

spread clockwise in alphabetical order, duh :P

A fix isn't a nerf.

People like to talk about being able to AFK back in 40 mans, etc, and while that was true for a few bosses C'thun was not one of them. Even after the nerfs he was extremely difficult and there is still many who believe that the first guild to down him used an exploit. When you consider the gear available, the specs available, the amount of DPS you had to put out, etc, it was pretty much next to impossible because a few would always fubar it.

It was quite difficult for Vanilla, keeping in mind the Gear from Blackwing Lair was pretty much what you used, with occasional pieces from AQ20, and that alot of classes were pigeon-holed into particular roles. (No Ret/Prot Pallys, Feral/Moonkin Druids, etc.) Also, you had 40 people to worry about, and the adds actually went down slowly.

C'thun, in my own opinion, was the most epic fight that WoW had to offer. Ragnaros had the 'Ooh!' factor for being so huge, Nefarian was just another dragon with class gimmicks and adds, and Naxxramas, as a whole was awesome, but Kel'Thuzad wasn't nearly as imposing. (Especially when you kill Mr. Bigglesworth prior.. it just kinda kills the atmosphere.)

The only thing more frustrating than wiping on C'thun P2, was dealing with Princess Huhuran (Where around eight or so of your raid was gimped just to be poison soaks) and Melee AoE aggroing bugs and getting healers killed.

AQ40, in general, was awesome when you ran it with appropriate gear.

Wasnt one of the 25 man hard mode Ulduar bosses supposed to be impossible to beat. Still only a handfull of guilds have downed him I think.

Ye it was pretty much that this was one of the encounters where NOBODY was allowed to go brainAFK or whatever.
    It was really , really hard to coordinate 40 people in this room while putting out enough dps etc.
    But it was awesome as hell...i'd love to have more fights like that in Cataclysm again.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    So was Ignis when Ulduar was first released, apparently. Didn't mean he was the hardest encounter ever.

Then have a look at Yogg with no keepers. It was thought to be mathematically impossible for quite some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Well you try fighting a boss where people were getting 1 shotted.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was so ridiculously hard back then.

Even after the hotfix.
    I reported lamb of log twice, once for having a slow car and once for trolling.

Deleted
    Well... Tuning for one. Your dps had to be close to having the best gear available to kill the tentacles quickly enough in Phase 1. In the meantime, they needed to position themselves extremely well. Eye of Cthun does a 2500-dmg 'Eyebeam' (to a random raid member) that will jump to the closest person (if he or she is within 15 yards) and deal double the damage. 2500 damage was... a lot, back then. Raids would wipe upon entering the room. - I remember having around 4k health back then - never did Cthun when it was relevant, though my guild's main raiding team did. -

In the meantime, you'd try to unload all the dps you could on Eye of Cthun, only to have Cthun himself spawn when the eye 'dies'.

In phase two he spawns a big tentacle every 30s, as well as the small ones. Two flavors: one used to one-shot any non-tanks, the second did an eyebeam identical to Cthun's. So, postioning remains important, while a tank has to weave his ass across the room. If you lack dps, you've got an Eye tentacle up while the slappy tentacle isn't dead yet. = Wipe.

Then, every 10s a random player would be ported into his stomach, where they need to kill those flesh tentacles. Not an easy task with a stacking debuff on you and low dps. (1.5k dps was considered a lot at some point in TBC - these babies have ~25k.) And those ports were random. You could have all your healers dropped down there, or your tanks. "Have fun up there guys!"

And only then, after killing the flesh tentacles, you can damage Cthun.

10+ Year Old Account
    ohhhhh... I though it was all just kill adds before they pew pew too much >.> didn't know that the eyebeam was that difficult to avoid

I had the privledge of downing C'Thun back then while it was still difficult. It was a pain in the butt, nonetheless. That dagger he dropped was sweeeeeet.

Like others said, people would get 1-shotted, you had to be able to run in safely, survive the stomach, etc.

Still my fav. encounter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can over-simplify Heroic LK to being the same fight except essentially adding defile to phase 1 and making the platform smaller in phase 3. So why has only a small percentage of guilds killed it?

Same principle applies to C'thun at 60.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

He had some of the best looking drops in the game. The Soul Caliber axe (Dark Edge of Insanity) would have been sick if it could have been duel-wielded by Fury Warriors. And the Tentacle trinket was hilarious. I wanna collect both Tentacle trinkets sic' em on a few females. >.>