You miss the best in your list: Toaru Majutsu no INDEX and the spinoff Toaru Kagaku no RAILGUN
    you also should try Sumomomo Momomo and - hands down - Murder Princess!

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno if they have been mentioned but i'll list some of my favorites aswell: Black lagoon, Gungrave, Hellsing & hellsing ultimate OAV, Baki the grappler (just google yujiro hanma you'll see why this is awsome). Hajime no ippo, Major, Hunter x Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Akira, yu yu hakushou, DARKER than black and speed grapher

Final Approach

Relatively short series, 13 episodes 12 minutes each (been a while since I watched it, dunno how long OP&ED are, meaning it could be as little as 9 min per ep). As stated, it's been a while since I watched it, but I remember that I absolutely loved it and found it extremely hilarious.

You can generally ignore the reviews (scroll down) as peoples tastes vary so much that they're likely to not apply to you with the lesser known series like this (this at least applies to me, maybe I'm one of the few).

Ga-Rei Zero

This one here...I started reading the manga (The anime is a prequel and ends with a scene from the start of the manga) near the end of the series which helped me to understand some things and also give me a different perspective of the events at the end which I believe enhanced my experience near the end which lead me to feeling that it was a perfect anime.

I'm not really good at classifying or describing things in great detail, but it's definitely action, supernatural, a little romance and a fair bit of drama.

I don't know how to describe the way I felt during the first episode, but it was the same feeling as during the end of Gilgamesh (recommended in the recent few pages of this thread) and during one specific scene early on in Death Note (small **spoiler** I suppose: detectives wife gets sent to her death at the end of the episode, around 5 or 6 I think). Whatever that feeling is, it's great.
    Last edited by Zhabin; 2010-12-20 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Added Ga-Rei Zero

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    bit of a tangent, has anyone seen the live action death note movies? they any good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyd90 View Post
    no they are preety horrible
    I thought they were "Meh" at best, worth watching but it's not that good ^^
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Deleted
    yes gintama is awesome..also heard that its going to continue next year april..cant wait
    also did anyone see Durarara!!! really cool story and all..loved it
    Last edited by mmoc806c77bebb; 2010-12-20 at 09:09 AM.

I have no idea if this has been posted in this thread yet, but Cowboy Bebop is simply Amazing!

Genre (geeze wiki really over did it) Space Opera, Drama, Planetary Romance, Action-Adventure, Crime fiction, Tech-noir, Tragedy, Science fiction, Space Western, Martial arts, Dark Comedy. Yeah it kinda does fit into all those suprisingly at some point or another.

A small overview w/o really spoiling much: Cowboy Bebop revolves around a crew of bounty hunters living in the spaceship named Bebop. They are a team of bounty hunters who travel the Solar System trying to apprehend bounties. Jet Black is the owner of the Bebop who has partnered with Spike Spiegel for his diverse combat skills.

If you want a lil more on the details side, this doesn't really spoil much either, but it gives you a better idea of the characters and series is all about, but does not ruin what happens so much.

During their travels, the Bebop ship gained new crew members such as Ein, Faye, and Edward.
    Throughout the series Bebop crew members' pasts catch up with them, and the series regularly turns to the history of the main characters in flashbacks. Spike's past as a syndicate enforcer is a major element of the series, while other episodes deal with Jet's previous occupation as an ISSP officer on Ganymede, Faye's mysterious past and significant debt problems, and Ed's childhood. The day-to-day life of the crew is also explored throughout the series.

It really is a fun series to watch, i enjoyed the action scenes, along with the occasional humor, and exploration of each characters past. The series has it's all out action scenes, it's funny moments, and it's serious moments which may be a bit on the emotional side at times. It is by far one of my favorites of all time.

Another Series i thought was a amazing that i didn't see on the list was Fruits Basket! ( Genre: Drama, fantasy, romance) Yes it is a girl anime, one of the most popular in Japan among the female population at one point, but once i started watching it i couldn't stop watching it. a little bit of info for you:

When high school student Tohru Honda's mother died in a car accident, Tohru begins living in a tent and supporting herself. That is, until she finds a home in the least likely of places, inhabited by her classmate Yuki Sohma and his cousins Shigure and Kyo. The Sohmas however, live with a curse. Thirteen members of the family are possessed by spirits of the Chinese zodiac and turn into their zodiac animal when hugged by the opposite gender or when under stress.

This next part contines on the plot a little more, but not too spoiling:

When Tohru discovers the Sohmas' secret, she promises not to tell and is allowed to keep living with them. The Sohma's curse, however, is deeper and darker than Tohru realized, but her presence soon becomes a large, positive influence on those possessed by the zodiac. She sets out to break the curse, and on the way, meets and discovers each of the Sohma's vengeful zodiac spirits. Each has a different personality, just like the animals in the Chinese Zodiac. Tohru's existence changes the Sohma clan's lives forever...

The series is quite humorous alot of the time and sad at other times it does have some serious moments emotionally, i'll admit some of them made me a bit teary eyed, but it has alot to offer and seems to have alot of hidden values and lessons about life in my opinion. The series really tugs at my heart strings, but one i'm glad i saw through to the end. Although i must say i found the ending to be a bit suprising and almost seemed like a different Genre for a short moment. Overall, the series is quite the emotional roller coaster at times, it's starts you off light hearted, but once it gets going it goes! I've never had a series make me laugh, smile, and teary eyed as much as this series has~ it's hard not to get attached to some of the characters i must admit~

Well there's my anime rant for tonight~ I hope you try out Cowboy Bebop and Fruits Basket Sy! You won't regret it ^^~
    Last edited by lonedrifter; 2010-12-20 at 09:40 AM.

Toradora earned a special place in my heart. Was a great anime

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deamoneyes View Post
    Im back!
    wb!

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    Well It was one part particular that got me to cry :P
    If i'm right when that first guitarist went away
    it was a beautiful scene, but nowhere near as tear-jerking as scenes of the other drama anime i know (for me personally of course).

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    So i finished Elfen Lied yesterday and I'm not gonna lie, I almost cried
    was the same for me when i watched it the first time, although it probably wouldn't touch me like that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Oh and not so the story but the atmosphere in "Noir" was not bad at all.
    agreed. it's not one of my actual favorites, but still a nice anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalënë View Post
    I love the combination of [Harem is the theme, but seems like it contains a lot of] Comedy and Romance.
    same here^^

Quote Originally Posted by futomara View Post
    ninja scroll is very good, its adventure and kind of comedy because everytime the main character comes in frame some monster shows up to fight, its kinda funny
    agreed. one of the very few adventure/fighting anime i watched (and liked)

Quote Originally Posted by Nakiami View Post
    Because what i thought of all of those anime is irrelevant, right?
    i didn't say that and i didn't mean to say that ;]
    i haven't seen most of the anime you listed myself, but i guess everone who liked Clannad will like Kanon 2006 too. it was just a recommendation.
    And I have unfortunately not seen Kanon yet. I have been looking for it for a long while now and have not found a decent place to view it. I may check a few DVD stores while I am back in the States for Christmas to see if I can find it on DVD.
    i've heard the english voice actors one time and they are horrible imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachroxs View Post
    omg i didnt look pass page 5 but that was enough for me to ask why has noone said gintama??
    was mentioned two times already if i remember correctly.
    for me personally the reason is simply: i don't want to watch an anime with too many episodes right now.

Quote Originally Posted by lifesavers View Post
    Ergo Proxy!
    !
    need to finish it..

Quote Originally Posted by Storno View Post
    You miss the best in your list
    unfortunately, there is no "best" anime :P
    none of the ones you mentioned looks overly interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lonedrifter View Post
    I hope you try out Cowboy Bebop and Fruits Basket Sy! You won't regret it ^^~
    i've watched Cowboy Bebop and i liked it, but it's not one of my favorites (like Samurai Champloo it makes heavy use of a specific music genre and unfortunately those two are about the only ones i really don't like xD which ruined a lot of the otherwise great anime for me).

as for Fruits Basket.. there are too many i need to watch, arrggh! -.-^^

Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    Toradora earned a special place in my heart. Was a great anime
    yep!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    wb!

(Wall of Text)
    Yeah, welcome back Deamon!

Btw Sy, I wonder if people got scared by reading your... How should I put it... "Insanely large post", because people haven't even responded yet! :S

OT: So, I just watched the 11th episode of Psychic Detective Yakumo (Shinrei Tantei Yakumo) with the thrill of excitement and were left with two other episodes to watch within the coming weeks. (13 episodes for this show)

A breif review: This show is about a teenage detective called Saitou Yakumo whom aren't like a normal teenager, well that is because he can see dead people! (Spirit of the dead as he like to call it)
    I'm terrible to tell these kind of stuff.. I just end up spoiling it all...
    Well, here is a link for a better review than mine would ever be.
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2010-12-20 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Spelled Psychic wrong.. "Phsycic", now that's a funny way to spell it! :D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahova View Post
    (Tengen Toppa) Gurren Lagann.
    Easily one of the most epic animes ever.

Oh Kamina. * o*
    *starts thinking of all the things that you can put a Giga drill breaker in*
    O_O
    damn that's a lot of things =w=

10+ Year Old Account
    Btw Sy, I wonder if people got scared by reading your... How should I put it... "Insanely large post", because people haven't even responded yet! :S
    haha, you've seen NOTHING yet!
    --> wow fan art thread

Deleted
    I haven't seen that much Anime I suppose but the ones I've seen I enjoyed big time,

however at the moment I'm looking for one from my childhood and I don't remember the name or any names of the characters but what I do remember is that it was two guys and a girl who could get into these special samurai suits and every creature that died would be turned into a card which then could be revived, card could be destroyed or their ''life force'' in the card could be used for other means, at certain points when the other two died one of the guys could take both their cards and put them inside his own suit to become more powerful

Anyone that has any leads on the name or where to find this one I'll be grateful

OT: Thanks for the lists Sy and all others, seen some interesting between it and definantly will watch them when I get the time

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorites have always been the old Gundam, Cowboy Beebop, and Ghost in the Shell

Welcome to the NHK! - Comedy/Drama/Otaku culture (A must see its such a beautiful story)
    http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/welcome-to-the-nhk

K-on! - Comedy
    http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/k-on

Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai - Comedy/Otaku culture
    http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/or...ii-wake-ga-nai

Fate/Stay Night - Action/Fantasy/Drama
    http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/fate-stay-night

Highschool of the Dead - Action/Horror
    http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/hi...ol-of-the-dead
    Last edited by Nirron; 2010-12-21 at 07:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    haha, you've seen NOTHING yet!
    --> wow fan art thread
    O.O
    Woah... That sure was an even longer post..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    Thanks for the lists Sy and all others, seen some interesting between it and definantly will watch them when I get the time
    you're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    My favorites have always been the old Gundam, Cowboy Beebop, and Ghost in the Shell
    *pokes Kyeri*

Quote Originally Posted by Nirron View Post
    Welcome to the NHK! - Comedy/Drama/Otaku culture (A must see its such a beautiful story)
    http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/welcome-to-the-nhk
    i've only seen the first half of it with a friend, but i agree. will probably add it to my list when i get to finish it.

O.O
    Woah... That sure was an even longer post..
    i think it was my record, although there is another pretty long post in the same thread too^^

10+ Year Old Account
    i think it was my record, although there is another pretty long post in the same thread too^^
    That's scary long. Edgar Allan Poe stuff, that is.

OT:
    Just finished Spice and Wolf, will there be a 3rd season?

Slight Slight Spoiler:
    Ending left it pretty open, so I'm assuming yes, but I have no clue as to whether they officially will : /
    "If at first you don't succeed, you really need to quit this game."
    -Judic

Deleted
    The novels are still ongoing, so there might be a third season sometime in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Parablius View Post
    OT:
    Just finished Spice and Wolf, will there be a 3rd season?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurrag View Post
    The novels are still ongoing, so there might be a third season sometime in the future.
    Well, I do hope so! It's such a cute anime..

15+ Year Old Account
    Still surprised there are only 8 posts mentioning Code Geass in this thread.

Out of the 10-15 anime that I've seen, I've noticed a pattern. Their endings were absolutely horrible. I don't just mean bad, I mean they were a special kind of awful. It's like Anime writers do not understand how to end a series. Ending a series in the middle of somebody jumping IS NOT AN ENDING. I'm looking at you Air Gear.

I won't say much to avoid spoiling it, but I will say this: Code Geass's ending was near perfect. I loved almost every second of the show (it did have its flaws in a few specific episodes... I think maybe 3-4 out of around 50), but the ending just made me burst out into tears (of sadness or happiness, I won't say), and I think I watched it maybe 20 or 30 times? I had it on loop at one point.
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-12-22 at 05:43 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines