Deleted

Ultimate Battlefield 3 Simulator

OMG how awsome is this guys!

This is a world first. A unique FPS simulator that turns gaming into reality as you move, aim, fire and get shot within a 360-degree immersive environment.

Using a pre-release copy of Battlefield 3 and a team of top technology experts from across Europe we've built a truly one of a kind simulator.

Centred on the world's first, portable omni-directional treadmill (designed by Swedish company MSE Weibull) the simulator lets you control the movements of a Battlefield 3 character with your own body. Other key technology employed includes: an Igloo Vision projection dome; 12 paintball markers that allow the player, in real time, to feel the enemy gunfire experienced in the game; a wireless gun system; ambient LED lighting; and an Xbox Kinect camera hack.

The full Gadget Show episode premieres in the UK on Monday 24th October 2011 at 8pm on Channel 5.

Source:
    www.channel5.com/thegadgetshow
    www.twitter.com/thegadgetshow

10+ Year Old Account
    looks neat

Deleted
    I want this, so badly.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Prixie;13828410]I want this, so badly.[/QUOTE

ya i am sure the controls will be a little "laggy" but still it would be so damn awsome.

10+ Year Old Account
    im more interested in how they project onto a curved surface, the only way i know is to use custom projector lenses

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    im more interested in how they project onto a curved surface, the only way i know is to use custom projector lenses
    They made a 360 treadmill, I bet they sprung for the lenses:P

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Video says "five HD projectors". Guessing it's 9600x1080 eyefinity setup and projectors are on rotating stand over player's head so that they can be pointed where player turns to create full field of vision.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's still the fact that projectors are designed to focus on a flat surface, when going onto a curved surface either the center or outer edges are going to be out of focus, there are projectors that can correct for a curved surface, but they are very expensive, way more then a home user would ever pay

Deleted
    well i read a report it cost like $650k to do this so i don't think money was an issue. :P

I'm sure you'd be more efficient on a normal computer, but this looks amazingly fun nonetheless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I'm sure you'd be more efficient on a normal computer, but this looks amazingly fun nonetheless.
    True, but it is a step in the right direction for virtual reality type gaming.
    I would love to see gaming centers built around the world with setups like this several years down the road.