Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Well, I don't really understand this whole "evolving/revolutionizing the MMO genre".
    For me, it looks more like "extending the MMO genre" because GW2 will offer different options to player alongside WoW and SWTOR.
    (for example, no dedicated healer can be as much a pro as a con depending on people).

It's not as if there should be only ONE way to do a MMO, be it the WoW way, the GW2 way or the SWTOR way.
    So 2012 looks like the year where the MMO genre will finally get good options for players to choose from.
    Some will play just one, some will play many.

So to answer your question, GW2 will be successful while being quite different because I think it will find its very own audience.
    And this is coming from someone that don't intend to play the game (I love raiding and healing in MMO, so no luck for me with GW2 )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gurv View Post
    Well, I don't really understand this whole "evolving/revolutionizing the MMO genre".
    For me, it looks more like "extending the MMO genre" because GW2 will offer different options to player alongside WoW and SWTOR.
    (for example, no dedicated healer can be as much a pro as a con depending on people).

It's not as if there should be only ONE way to do a MMO, be it the WoW way, the GW2 way or the SWTOR way.
    So 2012 looks like the year where the MMO genre will finally get good options for players to choose from.
    Some will play just one, some will play many.

So to answer your question, GW2 will be successful while being quite different because I think it will find its very own audience.
    And this is coming from someone that don't intend to play the game (I love raiding and healing in MMO, so no luck for me with GW2 )
    I believe the No subscription fee model will be the future of MMOs. These games just aren't worth 15$ a month anymore, especially since console games update their games in the same way that used to be exclusive to MMOs by DLC. If this trend continues, I can see a lot of people putting time into different styles and MMO genres. They won't feel like they have to commit because of superficial monthly fees.

That subscription model alone will give ArenaNet a good income because people won't be afraid to try it because they won't have to commit their wallets to it. Even if they don't like it, the money has been made. But it will be their responsibility to make the game worth playing for a long time to make money from Microtransactions as well. No one will invest in a poor game and that will help to make a higher quality product.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2011-10-26 at 04:52 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I believe the No subscription fee model will be the future of MMOs. These games just aren't worth 15$ a month anymore, especially since console games update their games in the same way that used to be exclusive to MMOs by DLC. If this trend continues, I can see a lot of people putting time into different styles and MMO genres. They won't feel like they have to commit because of superficial monthly fees.
    If it means the same level of quality without subscription, I'm all for it.
    But I highly doubt it will happen globally, if only because of the greed of companies nowadays.

That subscription model alone will give ArenaNet a good income because people won't be afraid to try it because they won't have to commit their wallets to it. Even if they don't like it, the money has been made. But it will be their responsibility to make the game worth playing for a long time to make money from Microtransactions as well. No one will invest in a poor game and that will help to make a higher quality product.
    I have to disagree with you on this topic.
    I tried Rift : 60€ for the game + included month. Left after only 2 weeks.
    Now a game has to convince me it will really be worth its buy cost.

In fact, I'm on the opposite side : I would prefer a pure subscription based MMO with no buy cost.
    This way I only pay for what I'm playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, you're still looking at the game as it is now, ignoring what I typed for you.
    We're both doing that, I thought it was our vibe.

But I agree, it is getting off topic, and even if you think I don't understand what you're saying, I do, and I disagree. I think we can both live with that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    They'll want to make a good game so players will buy expansions as well, which will be more important than cosmetic microtransactions. I like this B2P Model a lot, since it gives Anet an incentive to offer great expansions (more regular than expansions in WoW, more like major patches). However, where WoW already receives the money in advance (and more a month in total as well), GW2 needs to earn its money with every release. Which makes me believe that GW2 will be, and will stay an awesome game. This business model will give Anet more than enough money to maintain GW2's quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    If games that are too different wouldn't be successful, we would be playing pong and galaxy until today.

On a more serious answer, I don't think it is "too different". It is new, but it is just an improvement of what already exists. If there were a "WoW 2", that's exactly how I would expect it to be.

Things that might make GW2 fail, in my opinion:
    - It is too cheap, I'm really worried about no-subscription MMOs
    - Poor support/bugged/lagged (I'm not familiar with ANet quality)
    - Fanboyism ("WoW is the best eva! /thread" kind of people)
    - Newbie unfriendly (I don't know if it is the case)
    and there is also SW:tOR.

but Nintendo did well with the Wii, mabey GW2 will do well.

I'm buying it no matter what as well is many others , its just like a regular game you would buy for conoles or p/c. You just buy it and thats if so hate/love it will not cost you no extra in the long run. Like what happened to me when I first got AoC/War/LotRO/and Rift even tho RIft wasn't that bad and kept my intrest alot longer than the others but you get what im saying. It's not money wasted extra in monthly fees for a game that doesn't turn out the way you want it too.

Arena Net is doing all of the right things to attract a large gaming crowd. They have the standard MMO experience perfected. It has weather effects, night/daty cycles, underwater combat is actually worth it, combat is quick paced, no true auto attack. Then they expanded their innovations with spells that can be casted on the move, a dodging system, a dynamic combat feature, a beautiful use of concept art to create a large scale feel to the world....and more! It will be epic indeed.

This game WILL appeal to a huge number of people, and whats even better is that the game has won over one of WoW's largest advocates... Totalbiscuit

Knowing that Totalbiscuit will be covering and supporting the game makes their market even larger. He has stated that he will be playing it for sure, and will be covering it instead of MoP. Even TB is mad about MoP. :P

* Edit* The hot joinable pvp is another large attracter. Attracting folks not used to the MMO genre. PVP queues are a bore.
    Last edited by Sakorath; 2011-10-27 at 12:49 AM.
    "Someone shoves an m80 up a bullfrogs butt, blows em to pieces. He come back for you to fix it.. You win twice brother, Its good bizz." Joe dirt.

As, I have not yet played GW1........should i before trying GW2. It does look interesting......but as a total noob will not playing hte first be okay

Quote Originally Posted by PriestRela View Post
    As, I have not yet played GW1........should i before trying GW2. It does look interesting......but as a total noob will not playing hte first be okay
    I mean you can, it would help you understand some of the lore aspects. However, the two are very dissimilar. The only real connection between the two is the lore. Gameplay, and everything else is vastly different
    "Someone shoves an m80 up a bullfrogs butt, blows em to pieces. He come back for you to fix it.. You win twice brother, Its good bizz." Joe dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by gurv View Post
    If it means the same level of quality without subscription, I'm all for it.
    But I highly doubt it will happen globally, if only because of the greed of companies nowadays.

In fact, I'm on the opposite side : I would prefer a pure subscription based MMO with no buy cost.
    This way I only pay for what I'm playing.
    On your first point I'd have to dissagree. If anything greed is more likely to ensure better content as folks wont continue buying expansions if they are bad. Without useing the skinner approach to keep people playing every month like wow does each expansion needs to suceed so they have incentive to make them good.

For the second point you can get this modle for F2P games as well. There are a few where the base game is free, you have to fork over cash for the expansions but your welcome to enjoy the free portion of the content as much as you want so you pay only for what you want to play. Look at GW2 more like you'd look at a console game. You pay the same amount and can play it as much or as little as you want. I've had games I spent 50-60 bucks on that I crushed in 2 weeks and didnt play agian for years as well. Also like a console game if you dont like it now your free to put it down and maybe try it agian in a year or so and see if you like it any better. With a sub MMO your still forking over 15 bucks to find out that you still cant stand more than an hour of it.

Who is John Galt?

GW2 in my opinion is not too different to succeed. I see many RPGs going the action RPG route and it seems to be popular enough. GW2 is very similar to these action RPGs in the way they play control wise, so I think GW2 will do more than fine. Also Arenanet already has a proven product in the original Guild Wars, if only the players of the original Guild Wars picked up the game then Arenanet would make enough money, but thankfully there is a big untapped player base who has never played Guild Wars who are actually interested in GW2 so yeah GW2 will be successful without a doubt in my mind.

Nope. Anything can be successful if it captures the right audience and it puts an emphasis on quality.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PriestRela View Post
    You really don't need to, even if to get the lore. GW2 is going to be set 250 years AFTER the first one so a lot of what happens in the first one is history. You could, if you are really curious about it, look it all up on the Guild Wars Wiki. If you're thinking you need to play the first to get a feel for the controls or such, then absolutely no you don't. GW2 is going to overall and change pretty much completely the combat and such.

Basically, it is a o.k. if you don't play the first one at all. That said, if you really would like to try it, I suggest going to the Guild Wars site and trying to trial even though the Trilogy + Expac is very cheap.

Deleted
    No, I think that simply because it's different it will be successful. Many got bored of some old concepts but even new mmos coming out don't have the guts to try something new because they fear they will not get enough people. Gild Wars 2 does not have a subscription, so ArenaNet doesn't care about that so they can afford to try something new and as such they might actually get something as even more players.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope Guild Wars II will do these things perfectly, defining the future of MMO's I am sick and tired of the same ongoing shit of WoW, Rift and other similar games. GW2 is revolutionary, and I like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe that's the case. For old school players like myself that've played this game for 7 years, I embrace the change with open arms.

I understand WoW too well and would love something COMPLETELY different and in no way similar other than fantasy MMO-RPG and you press buttons on the computer to make it work. I look forward to it being nothing like WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Joenano View Post
    Combat doesn't even seem fast anyway and looks rather clunky with spell casting
    Good thing it isn't clunky. =) Haven't heard a single bad word about the movement and casting from anybody who's played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Um.... yeah...... ok.
    Lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Good thing it isn't clunky. =) Haven't heard a single bad word about the movement and casting from anybody who's played it.

Lol.
    Yeah I've actually heard from people who've played it that once you get used to the idea of dodging it's actually pretty action packed. It's like everyone having Disengage xD

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Uhm... Who has played it? Rabid fans who attend conventions... Which is not actually the target demographic...

Some people will adjust... Some won't... And it's definitely looking 'clunky' to some people that don't play shooters... Just consider the fact that you quite likely have to use two hands more often...

Going back to WoW, because it's a familiar example, I can raid effectively (important word there) with one hand... I don't have to (I have two hands : ), but at times during some fights, it just makes more sense to keyboard turn (ewwww) while casting, moving, etc... And at other times it makes more sense to click skills (ewwww) while moving/turning with the mouse... And yes, I'll admit, a lot of the time it is food (or more accurately for me, drink) related, but nonetheless, I could go the whole multi-hour raid with one hand and still top effectiveness...

Now, for someone like me, who also enjoys a multitude of games (I'm a gamer, not a MMO'er), I'll adjust with little difficulty, and likely be playing one handed soon after (love that Coke : ), but for many many others, having to chew bubble gum (use abilities), and walk (er... walk), at the same time, is going to be taxing... Not that they can't learn... Even the worst player I played with for years (yes, we kept taking her back to raids), improved over that time... Painfully slowly sure, but it'll come... : )

Lots of other comments in this thread I want to touch on, but I'm forgetting most... and the lack of quotes kind of sucks... But...

As for TotalBiscuit... I think you're (Sakorath) overplaying his fan count... Personally, I only know of him because some of his vids were posted on here a while back... I also learned rather quickly, that he's an asshole... I don't doubt that most viewers won't pick up on that, but hopefully enough : ) And keep in mind, that us mmo-c fans are also a major minority (heh), and even then, a minority of fans here care what one guy (any guy, even guys that aren't assholes), have to say : )

Anyhow, back on topic... I think GW2 will be wildly successful, and mostly because it's not that different... But you also have to consider that success means different things for a subscription service than a 'B2P'... And you have to consider the psychology of it... GW2 won't (as of yet), have enough to keep 'hardcore', or maybe just obsessive, players playing... Which is fine, because they can stop, go back to WoW or SW:TOR, or the new hotness, for a few months, and come back to GW2 when they're bored... People paying an active subscription, even though it's only $15 a month (bit more than a fast food meal), feel the need to get their time's worth... That falls away with GW2, at least until the first expansion comes along, when they have to decide if it's worth it to invest a much larger chunk...

/babbling...

-Alamar