Thread: Overclocking

Overclocking

Hi, so I just put together a new computer with the intention of overclocking my i5 2500k. After I put it together and sharing my specs with some of my friends however, a few of them informed me that my 750w PSU would not be enough to OC my i5 and power my gtx 580 at the same time. I am however skeptical of their advice, and so I have come to mmo-champ for some hopefully more experienced advice.

Parts in Question:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115072 - Processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130655 - GPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139010 - PSU

I am only running a single 580.
    Also, i'm pretty new to OCing.

15+ Year Old Account
    that psu is more than enough, stop asking that friend for computer advice.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That PSU is more than sufficient to overclock a 2500k and a single 580 card.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the above two. Your PSU is plenty sufficient to handle a single 580 and overclocked Sandy Bridge chip. A second 580 would begin pushing the limit, but would probably even be okay.

Deleted
    that PSU has 60Amps on the 12v rail ... I think it's more than enough for it. ( tip : don't look @ the wattage , always look at the 12v rail Amps )

I think ( not sure on this , and if someone has better data plz enlighten me ) 42a in the 12v rail is enough to run a i5 2500k+ 580 at ease . so those 60a are more than enough.

Awesome, thank you. I plan on OCing to 4.5 Ghz.

This is one of those things you should probably be careful with and not just go off of a "I think you'll be ok" statement on a forum. Google 'power supply calculator,' pick one of the many, put in your computer stats, and you'll get a much more accurate answer.

Having said that, I really can't imagine you'd need more than a 750w PSU for that setup.

Enjoy!

Deleted
    well usually moderators that posts in this forum knows what they're doing.

Deleted
    Well it seems only 1 of the power supply calcs I could find shows the Amps needed in the 12v rail and it asks to pay to get that info.

If someone knows a calc that gives the 12v Amps needed I would be a very happy person

Your friend is an idiot.

I got a 580 card (overclocked) and a 2600k (overclocked) and its running fine on a 750W psu.

I know, I absolutely wasn't trying to say previous posters were in error. I'm just very analytical and prefer to verify this kind of thing.

There's exactly no reason short of faulty hardware as to why you would need the amount of juice that your friends try to indicate.

And sandboxx, while exercising caution is a good idea most of the regulars here tend to have a clue on computers. It won't be perfect if you begin toying around with really obscure regions, though Asera and tetris can often pop by and help anyway, while Synthaxx and now-I-forgot-his-name-and-I-feel-stupid-for-that will be more than happy to cover watercooling.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    and now-I-forgot-his-name-and-I-feel-stupid-for-that will be more than happy to cover watercooling.
    ispano

/tooshort
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Corsair HX750 with an OC'd 2500k and GTX580. No Problem. If it were some crappy PSU, you might have an issue, but it's not.