Thread: PC trouble

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Question PC trouble

Firstly, english is not my native tongue. And I mostly use my pc to play games.

Anyways... At my startup screen (the black one with all the specs) it says that my "Main processor" is at 2.0 GHz (333x6.0) 2 CPUs. But I have Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz The rest of the specs looks fine.

I did have some start up issues earlier. Pc powered on, fans revved up and I could hear my dvd drive start. But there was no beep. Bios didn't even boot. Monitor was black. After a few tries it started and said there was some troubles and that I needed to reset CMOS. This happened a few times. And sometimes it said that my CPU was 2.0GHz and sometimes it showed 3.17GHz.

Later I finally reseted CMOS (which a friend modified abit when we built the PC 2 years ago). I don't have any issues to power on the pc now. But as I said, it shows that my CPU is only 2.0GHz.

Dxdiag shows the correct GHz on the CPU.

Any thoughts on what the cause of all this is? Is it just some display issue? I think the pc seem abit slower, though the changes my friend did in CMOS (I think he fooled around there atleast) is gone. So that might be why it feels slower aswell.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 3.16GHz
    Ram : Kingston HyperX DDR 2 1066MHz 2gb X2
    Motherboard: EVGA nForce-780i SLI, ForTheWin (FTW)
    Powersupply: Corsair HX 850W PSU
    GPU: Powercolor ATI Radeon HD5850 1gb DDR5

Thanks in advance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thread was caught in the moderation queue. Have a free bump!

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Da bump!

I guess if noone has a clue I'll just have to spend some cash and buy a new motherboard, cpu and graphics card. They are getting old anyways Can the PSU make this error if it doesn't provide the correct voltage to the CPU?

< don't bump threads please >
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-10-28 at 04:05 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Incorrect CMOS settings and having to reset the CMOS is often caused by a degrading motherboard or a simple little battery located on the board. Should be a 3.5V circular battery. If you have a voltage meter you can test its voltage otherwise I'd suggest replacing it, $3 fix instead of potentially replacing the board.

Or you go the opposite route and replace the board, memory, cpu, and graphics card like you said.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the reply

I'll test the battery, if it's ok I just buy some new stuff for my system. I will be happy, but not my wallet.