Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Latency you need for Heroic Rag

I'm just curious what type of latency you need to actually make heroic rag doable if you are going with the seed stacking strategy. It is incredibly annoying to start moving and actually appear to be ahead of most of the raid, then get insta-gibbed when the seeds land, my body dropping at about the half way point between where seeds land and where the group re-stacks. It seems like it is randomized what timezone you get your raid server in, and I wonder if it is worthwhile for a raid to keep reforming until you get a raid that has the same local time on its clock as your servers local time.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I would imagine you'd need a good 15-150ms consistently with 0 spikes to get it. I will not be able to do this fight because of my ms. Kind of sucks. At least not with the stacking strat.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I'm just curious what type of latency you need to actually make heroic rag doable if you are going with the seed stacking strategy. It is incredibly annoying to start moving and actually appear to be ahead of most of the raid, then get insta-gibbed when the seeds land, my body dropping at about the half way point between where seeds land and where the group re-stacks. It seems like it is randomized what timezone you get your raid server in, and I wonder if it is worthwhile for a raid to keep reforming until you get a raid that has the same local time on its clock as your servers local time.
    Raids have different timezones? What? I've never noticed this. Either way, all the instance servers you'd join would all be located in the exact same place, so reforming raids to hope for better latency simply wouldn't work. Just because the clock might be different doesn't mean that the servers are in a different place: they're all in Blizzard HQ in Anaheim (or in France if you're in Europe).

As for latency required? So long as your connection is stable, it shouldn't be a problem. And the whole, 'appearing to be in front of the raid' thing will happen no matter how good your connection is. That's just natural client - server lag and will always happen regardless of where you are (unless you're wired into the server obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Raids have different timezones? What? I've never noticed this. Either way, all the instance servers you'd join would all be located in the exact same place, so reforming raids to hope for better latency simply wouldn't work. Just because the clock might be different doesn't mean that the servers are in a different place: they're all in Blizzard HQ in Anaheim (or in France if you're in Europe).

As for latency required? So long as your connection is stable, it shouldn't be a problem. And the whole, 'appearing to be in front of the raid' thing will happen no matter how good your connection is. That's just natural client - server lag and will always happen regardless of where you are (unless you're wired into the server obviously).
    I would point to the fact that raid servers often display a time different from the local time of the world server you are on, which is why I assumed that it is possible for raid servers to be in differing time zones. It also seems that if all of the raid/instance servers are located in California, this poses a disadvantage to players on the east coast.
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

If you have constant 500ms it should not be so hard to start running 0,5sec before everyone else. Now if your latency is spiking, there's not much you can do in game.

In any case, you should check if the problem is in your end (crappy router/modem/WLAN? etc) and then contacting your ISP. If you're using cellular/satellite or similar broadband they always have high latency.

edit; timezones has nothing to do with anything you're saying

Deleted
    You dont need good latency. You need a syncronized boss mod for your entire raid. When you have that latency becomes a non issue. Given that your latency isnt crazy high.

Deleted
    pc/graphics/game latency != network latency. some people blame their connection latency instead of the game running slow

Deleted
    Latency is a non-issue unless you have big, unpredictable spikes of it, and even then boss mods usually take care of it, simply get a proper boss mod and start moving 0.5-1-5 seconds earlier than everyone else depending on your latency.

If you're suffering from constant 1k+ spikes of latency then raiding content in general probably isn't for you really, at least not heroic modes. This was the case back in wrath as well, LK hc was not much different with being punishing for people with high latency spikes or crappy computers.

We got a guy from South Africa and he is doing well, so I guess it takes time to get used to high latency but it is possible

Hey Shak what boss mod would you recommend for the whole raid to use for seeds?

As long as your whole guild use the same it shouldnt matter, but our guild is using Big Wigs

We use mumble (.1 sec lag instead of ventrillos 2-3 second lag) and our RL calls a 3-2-1-roar countdown, we move on roar. (and we use a stampeding at 2 ).. only the RL and the trap detonators use dbm to call out the movement, everyone else turns it off to be able to reduce latency/fps issues on seed spawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakaroz View Post
    You dont need good latency. You need a syncronized boss mod for your entire raid. When you have that latency becomes a non issue. Given that your latency isnt crazy high.
    ^
    this, i raid with 150-200ms, all you need is Big wigs and enable voice countdown and make everyone stack up and run without speed boosts (everyone or noone can use sprints) at the same count. We run at the moment the announcer says "two" and use a rotation of druid sprints, noone usually dies and if anything some just take a tick of damage because they don't stack up good enough. If you're having issues with seeds I suggest that you spread out and nuke them, you can't have deaths in that phase or you'll risk loosing aoe dps, boss dps or healers with valuable mana. If you're not pushing 1 meteor or even close to it just go with extra healers and spread out for the seeds, it's alot safer and if you're still having issues with that phase and haven't done a proper p4 yet then you're in for a shock.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Deleted
    Actually it dosent matter that much what your ping is and that all of your raid have to run together at the sametime.

Those Seeds, when cast by ragnaros, they have a travetime until they hit the ground, so basicly you just want to stay together at the time ragnaros is casting it, they will then land after a few seconds on that spot where you STOOD, and not where you currently are.

So just make sure you are all staying together while the spell is casting and when the seeds are in the air, you move, so it dosent really matter if you going together or not.

Hope that clears up things.

sorry for my english

10+ Year Old Account
    We have 3 people in our raid that have high amounts of latency; One in Austrailia, one in Singapore, and one in England. They all manage to do it fine.

Classic Herod: Sinnermighty - Blood Legion (Unretired)

Deleted
    If you can do fine on other fights (Alysrazor tornados, Shannox moving out of trap if it spawns under you etc..) you shouldn't have much problems with seeds. Just run a little bit early - if there is 1 seed a bittle bit ahead of the others, it is no big problem.

Other solution would be to position yourself in a different spot and have paladins cast a hand of protection every time seeds are about to spawn. You won't get a seed this way. Or just deal with this 1 single add if you have not enough paladins, phase 2 isn't a dps check and you'll surely have to stop dps anyway.

Either way, I think it's harder to run enguling flames without ever getting a single hit than avoiding seeds. So this might become a bigger problem for you.

Thanks for the responses, the idea of synchronizing addons is interesting, I have found that the built in timers often end up being slightly off for seeds perhaps due to using an ability that slightly delayed another ability or phase transition. The info about vent vs mumble lag being different is also useful, we do use a countdown to try to coordinate movement and reducing delay there may help. Aside from execution issues it seems the biggest hurdle to downing this boss is getting raiders to consistently show up and work through the fight, especially when they are used to facerolling everything else in there.

7/7h oceanic guild - 23 aussies (170-500ms), and two americans (20-40ms).

We count down seeds on vent, and everyone has found the right moment to start running to be perfectly in sync.. it only took 300 wipes :P
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2011-10-28 at 05:05 PM.

As long as your latency is consistent, you'll be fine. It takes learning to feel out the right time. You can't do it reactively.

My latency is usually between 70-150ms. We have people who consistently play at 250ms. We handle seeds just fine, though we do get the odd derp every now and then. No deaths, though.

It really doesn't matter at all. If you're latency is extremely bad or spikey just stand outside of the group and do your own thing, your add will come into the group later, after the others have died and it's melee swings won't be buffed and thus not be a danger or concern. There are a tremendously large amounts of Rag videos that show this being done mainly by ranged classes to lower the amount of aoe diminishing returns on the main group of adds.

I am also fairly certain based on how our melee does it, although not 100% sure since I don't play a melee that the molten elemental fixates on you. By this I mean the seed that spawns on you, is also the seed that fixates you. Since after the elementals land they don't do any splash damage we do a strat similar to Exodus but our melee that can aoe spread out singularly closer to the lava than the group, so if we're on the right and we're going to move left. We are stacked on the second furthest to the right circle, the melee that can aoe/cleave would spread further to the right of the group so they spawn their elemental further to the right of the whole group and then they can't be meleed because their add is further behind than the others. Linking to the specific point in our first rag kill to show what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXs-M...itle#t=03m058s
    Last edited by refire; 2011-10-28 at 09:00 PM.