all they've talked about is the tank accessories and that paladin will be adjusted aka buffed probably.

I only saw the thread a few pages back for the live letter.

Another aside: For everyone wanting to level to become a mentor (including me). Please just do it because you really lover mentoring and helping new people. Don't do it for the flashy little icon, or to take a "holier than thou" attitude, or to think that your word is going to have more weight in a stupid little party argument.

I honestly do love helping, and spend more time talking to people than I probably should.

I loved it in FFXI too. People would actually come to me with questions because of the status.

All that said, I wish they would have went with "tank mentor" and "ranged dps mentor" and etc. I'm going to level a tank for the mentor tag... but when it really comes down to it... if anyone asks very specific questions about rotations or boss mechanics... I really know fuck-all except for healing. I have a blm, but couldn't tell you the best way to keep something up during some phase. I just don't play it enough.

They might have had to forgo the flashy little icon and just went with a search status thing (like they do for languages spoken), but boo hoo. I didn't do it in FFXI for the notoriety.

Luckily I just need to get my conj to 15 and I get a free 60 healer from SMN

any1 mind linking or giving a brief explanation on the mentoring thing? wanted to take a crack at that myself and since i already aparently fulfill the requirements
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    He asked and 5 seconds later ran off and added 2 groups. The haler caught aggro, forcing me to tank the mobs. I didn't even get time to react to his query. (I know that's not apparent from the chatlog)
    That's why I slapped him mid fight.

If he had kept quiet after that I would have let it slide.

As for the "immediate dismissal": I initiated the kick not only because he pulled and called me an idiot, but for him being proud of his behavior. And please don't forget: I can merely initiate a VK. S/o else must have agreed with me in order for him to get kicked.
    Fair point on the first part. It wasn't largely apparent from just the chatlog.

I still disagree with the other people voted so I must be right point of view. I stated before that I'd be willing to throw money down that 90% of the people just click whatever pops up on their screen without reading it, but the more detailed explanation was valuable in further understanding and justifying your actions.

Honestly, so long as people are willing to listen I love helping out other players. To be a successful tank and/or healer I feel like a player needs to have considerably patience in the first place though. Admittedly I'm interested in learning what the rewards for the mentor roulette will be...they'll be a nice added perk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I stated before that I'd be willing to throw money down that 90% of the people just click whatever pops up on their screen without reading it
    This is honestly true for a lot of people. Heck I cant count how many times I'd join a group with two buddies in LFG (on WoW) who are complete assholes to someone. I'd initiate a vote to kick on one of those assholes and put in the name of the person they're picking on and add some weirds that reinforce what they're saying. Works almost all the time as they don't read the name of who's actually being kicked. There's nothing more I hate seeing in a group setting is than a few buddies picking on some person for whatever reason they have.

Oh GOD no!
    WoW tried that in Cataclysms 4.0 dungeons and GODDAMN, people are STUPID. I do NOT want to see that in FF where interrupts are chained to stuns and mobs get immune to it after 3x.
    Which is why Cata was great for me. If XIV is going to keep the "braindead" route with dungeons then at least add a good tome reward to other places such as raids so people have a choice where to go. 2.1 was great for having Coil and CT give out a large amount of myth.

If you want more dangerous trash and drawn out dungeons, implement proper content gating first. Trust me, your community will get VERY annoyed if dungeons take 45min+ (incl multiple wipes due to hard trash) and you expect them to farm it daily.
    Did you ignore the part that I mentioned the high mob HP?

I'd rather have mobs that dies and kills quickly than the ones we have now, too weak and too tanky.

I'm not sure why this and WoW's playerbase wants dungeons to be a daily chore tbh. It could be something legit fun and rewarding, but no, give us all the gears, let us AoE everything! (Then hear we complain about the grind).

Because random daily queue + difficult content simply doesn't work.
    Cataclysm proved that one too.
    You keep saying this, but I had no problems farming Heroics/Valor in Cata. Even in 4.1 when dungeons got a bit harder. It wasn't even that hard tbh, bosses had as many (or less) mechanics than in FFXIV, the difference is that it was more punishing and trash was legit hard.

Edit: this problem would be easily solved with extreme mode dungeons. Just keep them for premade groups.
    Last edited by Fuubakusatsu; 2016-02-05 at 02:47 AM.

Deleted
    How did cataclysm prove anything? The only thing cataclysm proved is that a good portion of the player base sucks donkey nuts. Too bad that is usually the portion that also tends to not stick to a particular game because the main reason they suck is because they don't invest any time or effort into researching the class they are playing or the content they are running and therefore quickly lose interest in the game once it starts to become more demanding.
    For example a friend of mine plays a healer and does not precast in A3S. The only reason we re making progress is because gear keeps us from getting killed from stuff that would have otherwise killed us without a proper precast.
    Whenever I ve asked him to look into his class a bit more like the rest of us and try to learn precasts and play a tad more to practice his reply is "wtf no why would I waste 10 minutes of my life looking at a guide about a game? thats so boring"
    WTF kind of bullshit mentality is this coming from someone who is playing a game with other people? To me it shows literally 0 respect to the other players.

Most players don't give a rats ass about if they are or aren't wasting peoples time. They just want to do whatever which is really they just want to play a single player game. Its like someone else said in this thread, most people who play MMOs these days aren't really players that MMOs are designed for as they're impatient and selfish people which really doesn't work in group play scenarios. You see this in WoW all the time with the terrible players. You wipe once (probably their fault too) and they leave instantly without saying anything. The group isn't full after 1 minute? Fuck this.

Having said that... I think hard dungeons have a place as long as there's an easier alternative which is something Cata lacked and why so many people quit. I found the way FFXIV did it in ARR to be quite nice. The dungeons weren't really hard but they weren't complete push overs for the people it was intended for. There was always 2 new ones every few months so there was a constant sense of progression on top of things like Crystal Tower.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2016-02-05 at 01:35 AM.

anyone tell me how to use a keyboard on the ps4? I wanna use keyboard to chat and the controller for everything else but I can't seem to find any guide on how to set that up.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    anyone tell me how to use a keyboard on the ps4? I wanna use keyboard to chat and the controller for everything else but I can't seem to find any guide on how to set that up.
    i just plugged in a usb keyboard and it worked for me

I wish the official forum didn't have a post limit per day. It must be like...twenty posts or something.

I'd love for there to be a complete revamp of the official site and boards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Finally got to playing on my ps4. Anyone got any tips for the controls. I'm slowly getting the hang of it but it's overwhelming. My current issue is targeting. Going through targets it seems to want to cycle between every enemy but the one I want.
    Yep I do go into the crossbar menu far side change go to the bottom and set it up so you have it only going from bars 1 and 2

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    For example a friend of mine plays a healer and does not precast in A3S. The only reason we re making progress is because gear keeps us from getting killed from stuff that would have otherwise killed us without a proper precast.
    Whenever I ve asked him to look into his class a bit more like the rest of us and try to learn precasts and play a tad more to practice his reply is "wtf no why would I waste 10 minutes of my life looking at a guide about a game? thats so boring"
    WTF kind of bullshit mentality is this coming from someone who is playing a game with other people? To me it shows literally 0 respect to the other players.
    You should ask him why he should waste hundreds of hours on wiping because of something he could've spent 10 min just reading up on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Because random daily queue + difficult content simply doesn't work.
    Cataclysm proved that one too.
    And Burning Crusade proved it works, so what now?

Why else do you think Blizzard demands premade groups for Mythic dungeons?
    There are pug-ging the shit out of them, get the required itemlevel and you are fine to go. They made you do the solo-challenge stuff before you could enter the random queue for heroic dungeons, they might as well do that for mythic dungeons too.

It's a simple, boring enrage. You either have the raw DPS, or you don't. Russian roulette if you're in with randoms.
    You and I seem to define "interesting mechanic" rather differently.
    To me, interesting = affects my gameplay outside of "do max DPS" (I do that anyway on every mob).
    Which is why I said they can build up on that with spells and buffs/debuffs that influence how fast you kill that group instead of spawning more and more mobs in that room. This is the reason why that new exploring thing (I even forgot the name because it's so poorly designed) is freaking boring. Mobs have 1.000.000.000.000 HP, Dragoons can tank them and they do nothing. Every instance is full of these mobs.
    Give them random charge, aggro resets, CC, heals. That's how you design trash you have to interact with and don't fill them with retaliating training dummies.

I get it that this game needs shit-tier content for it's shit-tier playerbase, but the least they could do is design some non-awful content that fills up a competent player's "urge" to play this game at least once or twice a week outside of raids (which are 5 bosses at this point of time btw. and 6 bosses ever since HW was released).

Another thing is, when I do my random daily dungeon, which are going to be 3 different dailies (for what if not to divide the good/strong from the bad/weak?) btw, it's *one* player that's bad most of the time, not all 3 of them... *very* rarely 2. Which means - why do I have to dragg that "one" guy with me in *EXPERT* dungeons? Why is he even allowed to queue up for it. He has all these nice little "kid's meal dungeons" for himself and the rest of the extremely bad playerpool. Someone who's up for more however, has nothing but daily chores (in which you do 70% of the work if you end up with a bad dps). Yay...
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-02-05 at 10:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuubakusatsu View Post
    You keep saying this, but I had no problems farming Heroics/Valor in Cata. Even in 4.1 when dungeons got a bit harder.
    Well good for you.
    I don't want to start from scratch every friggin day because you AGAIN get people that don't know the dungeons and can't be arsed to read the group chat when you explain boss mechanics.

Getting Grim'batol in Cata with randoms was basically a "might as well drop out instantly, 95% chance that they can't handle Erudax anyway" which is what most people did. Same story for Oculus in Wrath. I've even seen it happen in Snowcloak / Sastasha Hard back in the day.

Content like that is fine for guild groups (which was what I stuck to in cata) where the knowledge of the encounters is actually retained and subsequent runs get less and less stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen
    They just want to do whatever which is really they just want to play a single player game.
    Hits the nail on the head. They want to play solo and get the shinies, other players are merely an annoying tool they need in order to get there.
    These are the players that don't give a shit about how well you explain, they will ignore you and treat you like a bot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I wish the official forum didn't have a post limit per day. It must be like...twenty posts or something.

I'd love for there to be a complete revamp of the official site and boards.
    More like 10. And I HAAAATE the retarded 1000 char limit... dear lord who came up with that kind of crap? Luckily you can edit the rest back in but damn....
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    No actually it didn't.
    1) the community was A LOT different back then. Wipes were common and accepted and it was also accepted to skip bosses (we almost always skipped the Nethermant in Mechanar) / not finishing a dungeon was also real prospect.
    2) There was no "iQueue" tool (this is extremely important see 3)
    3) There were CONSEQUENCES for bad play/rude behavior AND for good play. If you got a reputation in your server community, no one would invite you again. If you did good, you ended up on friend lists and people whispered you whether you wanted to come along again, cutting future invite times dramatically. That motivated (most) people to stay calm, play as well as they can and listen to explanations and advice.

This is the reason why that new exploring thing (I even forgot the name because it's so poorly designed) is freaking boring. Mobs have 1.000.000.000.000 HP, Dragoons can tank them and they do nothing. Every instance is full of these mobs.
    Give them random charge, aggro resets, CC, heals. That's how you design trash you have to interact with and don't fill them with retaliating training dummies.
    From a pure gameplay perspective, we are in 1000% agreement. In guild groups I immensely enjoyed the 4.0 Cata dungeons. Esp with crap healing gear (going in with all at 329 was brutal, killing stuff felt like "f*** yeah!").

However I am capable of looking beyond what I find fun and I can see why such content is wholly unfun in randomly thrown together groups.

PS: the way you describe Diadem is exactly how I imagined it to be.... good that I never entered it.

Why is he even allowed to queue up for it.
    because shinies = carrot, dude wants shinies, SE want's dude to pay so SE gives him access to shinies.

Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    You should ask him why he should waste hundreds of hours on wiping because of something he could've spent 10 min just reading up on.
    With people like that, arguing on the basis of logic is pretty much impossible.
    I get why precasting can be annoying/tricky with the UI delay etc, but not doing it as a healer can severely gimp your raid.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-02-05 at 11:52 AM.

Deleted
    No actually it didn't.
    1) the community was A LOT different back then. Wipes were common and accepted and it was also accepted to skip bosses (we almost always skipped the Nethermant in Mechanar) / not finishing a dungeon was also real prospect.
    2) There was no "iQueue" tool (this is extremely important see 3)
    3) There were CONSEQUENCES for bad play/rude behavior AND for good play. If you got a reputation in your server community, no one would invite you again. If you did good, you ended up on friend lists and people whispered you whether you wanted to come along again, cutting future invite times dramatically. That motivated (most) people to stay calm, play as well as they can and listen to explanations and advice.
    You say it didn't work, but then you give reasons that make me believe it *did* work.
    That and the huge success of WoW during BC and WotLK, which was the pinnacle of WoW.
    Sure, it might not work with how FFXIV community currently is, but that's because players don't feel the urge to improve themselves, since there is barely any reason to.
    No one needs to be forced to improve, but rather they should come to the conclusion themselves.

because shinies = carrot, dude wants shinies, SE want's dude to pay so SE gives him access to shinies.
    He can have shinies outside of more difficult dungeons then, basically from farming and grinding. It's not like they seek the challenge anyway. It works for them with the relic (at the cost of everyone else btw), well I don't think it actually "works", people just put up with it... so why not for dungeons too? Diadem is pretty much the same thing anyway. Best shinies right there for zero effort. (edit: no wait, zero effort is wrong, the effort is extremely huge, the difficulty is however non-existent)
    Why design 80% of the content that way however?

Then there are Guildheist, which are pretty much tutorials already, instead of utilizing that and teach people to properly press 1-2-3, they totally ignore that.
    I know I'm totally repeating myself, but this game is really "95% hardcore "casual" ("casual" because it's actually extremely time consuming) child's play" and 5% challenge/hardcore raiding. Sadly, there is no middle ground (anymore?).
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-02-05 at 12:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You say it didn't work, but then you give reasons that make me believe it *did* work.
    That and the huge success of WoW during BC and WotLK, which was the pinnacle of WoW.
    Sure, it might not work with how FFXIV community currently is, but that's because players don't feel the urge to improve themselves, since there is barely any reason to.
    No one needs to be forced to improve, but rather they should come to the conclusion themselves.
    It worked because PEOPLE were different back then compared to today.
    Wrath attracted a lot of the "solo/just for fun™" players with it's extreme easiness. That changed the community... permanently.
    Whether old players like you and me want to admit it or not, such a system would not work with today's playerbases in either WoW / FF.
    Cataclysm tried. And Cataclysm failed spectacularly. Hell GC even gave the "git gud" speeches when asked about dungeon difficulty.

In the end the devs needed to cave to the unskilled playerbase and MoPs HC dungeons became faceroll again (with added CMs requiring premade groups), because 90% of all players do no want to get better in order to beat content. They expect content to be brought down to their level of skill.

Would hard dungeons for premade groups work in FF? They might. But given that we only get 2 new ones (1, the other uses already existing art assets) I don't think SE has the dev time to spare for an "even harder than hard" version only a tiny minority enjoy.

It works for them with the relic (at the cost of everyone else btw), well I don't think it actually "works", people just put up with it...
    I don't. I abandoned the stage III relic for now. I agree that the design is lame.

I know I'm totally repeating myself, but this game is really "95% hardcore "casual" ("casual" because it's actually extremely time consuming) child's play" and 5% challenge/hardcore raiding. Sadly, there is no middle ground (anymore?).
    Agreed. But doesn't WoW suffer from the same problem? Seems to me like MMO designers have difficulty with the "middle ground" thing. They either make stuff soul crushingly hard or soul crushingly grindy and boring. ._.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-02-05 at 01:11 PM.

It really didn't, because random queue didn't exist until part way through Wrath.

BC had the equivalent of Party Finder.