Poll: Should males become fanservice (comment)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Its already there, you just have to look for it.

also i find the generalizations hillarious "we have BE already for the gay guys hurr durr"

I'm gay and would take a shirtless orc male anyday.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Deleted
    Overly muscular PC male models and male fluff characters already cater to the female demographic. Quit whinging about chainmail bikinis, you slatterns. Unless of course you as seek androgynous males to sate your tastes. Don't worry, I'm sure the retarded art department will get back to you on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderlight View Post
    I didn't understand anything in this post, seriously wtf is a fanservice?!.
    amen to that i'm as lost as u are

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a whole lot of people are kind of missing her points, I don't stare at the scantally clad WoW females either, but they are there, blizzard designes them and puts them in the game like that, all she's saying is that it'd be a nice idea for them to do the same with Males for their female/gay/bi audiances, she's not saying all or even a lot of guys stare at the female models, or that most females/gay/bi would be staring at the males, just that'd it be a nice idea.

And on that note I completely agree it'd be nice to see a shirtless male here or there, where it makes sense
    And just for refrence, straight male here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I think a whole lot of people are kind of missing her points, I don't stare at the scantally clad WoW females either, but they are there, blizzard designes them and puts them in the game like that, all she's saying is that it'd be a nice idea for them to do the same with Males for their female/gay/bi audiances, she's not saying all or even a lot of guys stare at the female models, or that most females/gay/bi would be staring at the males, just that'd it be a nice idea.

And on that note I completely agree it'd be nice to see a shirtless male here or there, where it makes sense
    scantally clad? hardly. the women may be 'robust' but they hardly sport a fantastic amount of cleavage, underboob, side boob, high thigh, etc. they just call them scantally clad when they wear low cut, which is actually getting pretty normal by today's standards.

besides that fact, this is a game designed by males who's target audience, i would assume, happen to be males. if you want something that accentuates whatever the females want, design a game by females for females. otherwise, they should take their own advice and get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    scantally clad? hardly. the women may be 'robust' but they hardly sport a fantastic amount of cleavage, underboob, side boob, high thigh, etc. they just call them scantally clad when they wear low cut, which is actually getting pretty normal by today's standards.

besides that fact, this is a game designed by males who's target audience, i would assume, happen to be males. if you want something that accentuates whatever the females want, design a game by females for females. otherwise, they should take their own advice and get over it.
    Alexstraza is all I'm going to say, she's barely even wearing pants, but more to the point I'm not scolding blizzard for putting more girls than guys that are like that, or saying they should start spamming out the shirtless men, just it'd be a nice idea for them to do that with the odd charecter or two, where it makes sense.

Alexstraza is all I'm going to say, she's barely even wearing pants, but more to the point I'm not scolding blizzard for putting more girls than guys that are like that, or saying they should start spamming out the shirtless men, just it'd be a nice idea for them to do that with the odd charecter or two, where it makes sense.
    illidan is my response. 1 'whorish' looking woman doesn't mean that the entire game makes women out to be half naked, no more so than saying that 1 shirtless dude makes the entire game out to be filled with half naked fully toned men running around.

again, target audience. i'm not gonna scold twilight for making the entire series surround 1 homely unkempt girl who is being fought over by tall, dark, handsome, demi gods who could have their way with much more attractive women out there because clearly i'm not the target audience.
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

10+ Year Old Account
    illidan is my response. 1 'whorish' looking woman doesn't mean that the entire game makes women out to be half naked, no more so than saying that 1 shirtless dude makes the entire game out to be filled with half naked fully toned men running around.
    The women like Alexstraza tend to be more humanoid in appearence, all but 1 shirtless male that I can think of (and I don't think the one I can think of is in game yet, he may be a 4.3 addition) are deformed in some way, and in general there musicles are always very massive, i.e Illiden, garosh.

Also, I just tabbed to wow, to find another example and saw one walking past me, all female orc gaurds are in short shorts, female male orcs are not.

The women like Alexstraza tend to be more humanoid in appearence, all but 1 shirtless male that I can think of (and I don't think the one I can think of is in game yet, he may be a 4.3 addition) are deformed in some way, and in general there musicles are always very massive, i.e Illiden, garosh.

Also, I just tabbed to wow, to find another example and saw one walking past me, all female orc gaurds are in short shorts, female male orcs are not.
    Alexstraza and Illidan are pretty close in humanoid appearance. The only difference really is that Illidan has reverse-hinged legs. And yes, the males do have overly massive and over toned muscles. It's a fantasy game and MOST if not ALL males don't generally look like that, just like MOST women don't look anything remotely like the ones portrayed in this game. Thats a pretty blatant fact that a lot of the people who have a problem with how the females look seem to forget.

Also, I am pretty sure no one finds female orcs to be the shining pinnacle of attractiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alexstraza and Illidan are pretty close in humanoid appearance. The only difference really is that Illidan has reverse-hinged legs. And yes, the males do have overly massive and over toned muscles. It's a fantasy game and MOST if not ALL males don't generally look like that, just like MOST women don't look anything remotely like the ones portrayed in this game. Thats a pretty blatant fact that a lot of the people who have a problem with how the females look seem to forget.

Also, I am pretty sure no one finds female orcs to be the shining pinnacle of attractiveness.
    Same way I don't think many people fine Illiden to be that either ;]
    I think you're misunderstanding me though, I'm not complaining about how the females look, I really don't care, just agreeing with the OP that it'd be a nice idea for a few shirtless males here and there.

10+ Year Old Account
    The OP isn't exactly looking for shirtless men. The best way to define it would be, Men with Swagger. doesn't have to be super jacked or 1/2 naked. a suave devonaire man is more the look i believe we're trying to aim at.

As for the men who believe the player base is 95% men. i do not have a link to the exact ratio, and till you post one, neither do you. But i can tell you in all my years playing this game, i've been in quite a few guilds and pugs, Hop on vent, in my experience, you always find 1 or 2 women. That alone leads me to believe that your estimate of WoW population being only 5% female is a bit off.

well, IF both genders are handled the same way, we can all get over it. :P
    Why should the fact that most designers are male be the authorization to cater the visuals only to them? Are you trying to say that men are not educated enough to be able to get off their privilege-horse and start thinking about other demographics than male/white/teen?
    That would be a harsh insult, wouldn't it?

Bioware, as I said, will have most certainly a majority of male designers, but they are able to self-reflect on that and put content into their games that cater towards other groups, too. And they are tough enough to stand up for their ideals and tell the homophobe boys to get over it.

As some studies recently found out, women on average do not like beefy, muscled guys, but focus more on athletes. Boys just think they like it and so they start seeing it as "male ideal". Of course, the men in WoW are all exaggerated, even the bloodelves. This is a style-template. We filter that with our eyes & brain so they appear more "natural" to us. The women, however, are not that much exaggerated, at least not in muscles. I can say that my own muscles are as much developed as those of my human female warrior. And this is... a bit odd when comparing my boyfriend to his warrior. But that's not completely the point of this thread

For "scantily clad".. it is a funny thing that you all come down to boobies when considering clothing. Bare midriffs on plate are what I would call scantily clad for both males and females. High plate stockings with plate slips fall into that category, too. Stupid boob windows on the mage T13 are there for eye candy only, they fulfill no purpose other than fanservice.
    We shall not try to compare it to our world and our style, because we have to look at WoW/Azeroth as a (quasi-medieval/rennaissance) setting and world on its own where you go to war everyday. Surely the clothing would be different. And if you look at Alexstrasza's outfit, and claim that she's a dragon and can wear whatever she wants, why should Krasus not wear the same instead of being fully-robed?

Edith: for another shirtless man: Have a look at Nozdormu

his female fanbase is growing from day to day and many claim that he's the sexiest WoW character ingame
    Last edited by Lylandra; 2011-11-04 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra View Post
    I am shaing my head over how backwards and degressive the WoW community seems to be...

1. Is is correct that the majority of WoW players is still male. However, depending on the surveys, the female player base is between 20 and 40%. They umm... just happen to avoid the forums or are not interested in sidegrades to their hobby.

Even IF the "majority" (not a huge majority) is male, this doesn't mean that the game should be marketed exclusively to men. Bioware made a good post a few months ago about " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_privilege " in games and that they do not want to exclud minorities (in this case a homosexual dating possibility for DA) and it can be read here in a summary http://www.nomorelost.org/2011/03/25...it-by-bioware/
    Blizzard is sadly still far away from Bioware's enlightenment.

2. Women DO WANT to see sexy guys. Go to deviantart and search for "bishonen" or "Sexy guy" or even "Aragorn". You'll get thousands of pictures drawn BY WOMEN (and sometimes by men, too) of half-naked, good-looking guys in suggestive poses. Want to know why the shonen-ai genre is that successful? Because girls read it en masse. Oh shocking! Women have meta-sexual drives, too!

Most cases men think they/other men are sexy for women, they are in fact not. We don't want beefy bodybuilders. We don't want Orcs like Garrosh or humans like Varian. We want the Kalecs and Kaels and Krasus' (oh I spot a pattern there^^) and Bolvars and Koltiras and Thassarians.

You guys don't want to see them? GET OVER IT! Imagine what a woman feels like when she sees the 12934098th chainmail bikini chick or Sylvanas-fanservice

3. I just want equality. Either reduce the female fanservice or start exploiting the males as well. I don't need it, but I wouldn't mind it as long as it is the same thing for both genders.
    Woah I gave up on this thread more or less but woah. yeah this is what i meant.

---------- Post added 2011-11-04 at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    The OP isn't exactly looking for shirtless men. The best way to define it would be, Men with Swagger. doesn't have to be super jacked or 1/2 naked. a suave devonaire man is more the look i believe we're trying to aim at.

As for the men who believe the player base is 95% men. i do not have a link to the exact ratio, and till you post one, neither do you. But i can tell you in all my years playing this game, i've been in quite a few guilds and pugs, Hop on vent, in my experience, you always find 1 or 2 women. That alone leads me to believe that your estimate of WoW population being only 5% female is a bit off.
    Doesn't have to be Nozdormu, Kalec is fine. He's very handsome once you stop wondering why his hair is blue.

---------- Post added 2011-11-04 at 12:17 PM ----------

Provi you confuse once again what are you saying?

---------- Post added 2011-11-04 at 12:20 PM ----------

Yes that is more or less it

---------- Post added 2011-11-04 at 03:16 PM ----------

That is creepy as hell!!! Edit: I have nothing agianst bondage. seriously what was he tortured or something. My god. *shudder* Edit:No wait I think that was a shadow but still...
    Last edited by kage; 2011-11-04 at 06:54 PM.