Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

No work experience yet I need a job.

So I am a college freshman and have yet to have a job. Is there any jobs out there that I could get a fast certification in or apply for that have above minimum wage? I'm talking 10 bucks + an hour starting out. Anything at all?

Deleted
    whats wrong with minimum wage jobs by the way?

also, this thread has decent-ish info in it about the job market

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...9#post14103279

might be worth a read.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Narcotix729 View Post
    So I am a college freshman and have yet to have a job. Is there any jobs out there that I could get a fast certification in or apply for that have above minimum wage? I'm talking 10 bucks + an hour starting out. Anything at all?
    Nope, take minimum wage while looking for a better job.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You need to move up the ladder like everybody else. Minimum wage job experience than go upwards unless you're lucky enough to get an internship.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're a college freshman? Look into on-campus jobs. That's how I got my first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyomesh View Post
    Imagine if SWTOR had an Endor's moon themed expansion where the Ewoks played a huge role. I could just see it now, the reactions... "This game sucks! Ewoks are stupid!" "I hate these retarded Ewoks! They have no basis in lore!" "I'm quitting because of Ewoks!"

Deleted
    I don't know what acceptable wages are in america but if $10 is quite above minimum wage you may have to lower your requirements. I don't know how applications are in America but in London there are something like 40+ applicants per job vacancy.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you need a job, yet you want more than just minimum wage job ?
    That doesent make much sense, any job is better than no job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never Ever go work for mcdonalds or any franchise for min wage its a complete waste of time and you can make more money doing almost anything else.

Yes there are three things i always tell people that they can do that dont require a certification and pay above min wage.

1) Delivery Boy... requires car and drivers license though. You get paid minimum wage but more than make up for it in tips...you can make a ton ( relatively speaking for your age).

2) Professional Bookkeeper. Very easy to do but requires a good head on your shoulders. Learn Quicken, and Quickbooks and how they relate to the preparation of income taxes ( specifically how categorizing something will translate on a tax return) and how to use quickbooks to prepare company payrolls.

3) Learn to prepare income taxes...this is much harder than the other and could take a month of self training but you can always get a job at a tax preparation office as an assistan/preparer. All you have to do is say you know how to prepare income taxes and your past experience invloved you helping your friends and family and getting paid on the side and ull prolly get quizzed by the boss at an interview...where you generally have to display some understanding not be a full blown CPA.

Learning to be a bookkeeper would take a week at most....

If these sound interesting private message me or something and ill point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by Aurust; 2011-11-07 at 01:44 AM.

Get a job waiting on tables or busing tables at a nice restaurant, waiter get wage plus tips, busers get wage plus tipped out by the waiters.

Tipping jobs are the way to go for starter jobs. Deliver pizza or wait tables, can get them with no experience and make very good hourly when you include tips. It's actually really good for college as well because you can make some extra cash without having an intensive schedule, if you only work the dinner rush hours of pizza delivery you can make upwards of $20 an hour including tips no problem, at least I did :P

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    This sounds bad but will fit your needs...get a 3rd shift job with a security company, need zero experience get shift differential in pay and can ALMOST always do school work on the job b/c work is usually a ghost town 3rd shift.Working weekends is biggier bonus too b/c more pay and you'll save $ by working instead of being out partying too much

Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post
    I don't know what acceptable wages are in america but if $10 is quite above minimum wage you may have to lower your requirements. I don't know how applications are in America but in London there are something like 40+ applicants per job vacancy.
    It's $7.25/hr at least here in Utah, I'm assuming it's the same nationwide though, so their $10/hr expectation is a bit high for their first job. That said if you have a company similar to Convergys or Teleperformance in your area, they're outsource providers so they purchase contracts from companies like Dell and Verizon to supply Phone, Email, Text support for the companies products, you might get lucky with something more than minimum wage(my first job I was paid $5.60/hr and got on with teleperformance with a $13.50/hr starting wage, this was before the minimum wage increase a few years ago).

That said the Job market in my area is pretty horrible, I've put in multiple applications every week(+10/week) over the last year or two at everything from the local Mcdonalds and Convenient Stores to Janitorial work in the local schools and not had a single hit. Thankfully my father gets the occasional job to keep me busy a few days out of the month.

10+ Year Old Account
    why did u not think internships? generally they are easier on work experience, they expect to get lots of young ppl

How are you a freshman in college with absolutely no job experience? I got my first job when I was a freshman in high school in a grocery store. Too busy being coddled by your parents during your teens? What did you do between the summer you graduated high school and your freshman year in college (assuming you went straight from HS to College).

I now make $19 an hour in an office job that I worked up to and I am in my secod year of college at nights. Start and work your way up because nobody is going to just hand it to you.

Schedule your classes all roughly around the same time and take a job as 3rd shift in a factory or warehouse. You can make anywhere from 10-25 an hour depending on whether you are unionized or not.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    How are you a freshman in college with absolutely no job experience? I got my first job when I was a freshman in high school in a grocery store. Too busy being coddled by your parents during your teens? What did you do between the summer you graduated high school and your freshman year in college (assuming you went straight from HS to College).

I now make $19 an hour in an office job that I worked up to and I am in my secod year of college at nights. Start and work your way up because nobody is going to just hand it to you.

Schedule your classes all roughly around the same time and take a job as 3rd shift in a factory or warehouse. You can make anywhere from 10-25 an hour depending on whether you are unionized or not.
    Not everyone has the same fortune as you do when it comes to finding jobs. There can be multiple reasons why he didn't get one, but I agree with you on the factory and class scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    2) Professional Bookkeeper. Very easy to do but requires a good head on your shoulders. Learn Quicken, and Quickbooks and how they relate to the preparation of income taxes ( specifically how categorizing something will translate on a tax return) and how to use quickbooks to prepare company payrolls.
    This is kind of tricky for my area, actually. I've been wanting to get into a bookkeeping job for a while, I've found I'm pretty good with numbers and money in general. There are TONS of bookkeeping jobs available around here, but they all want someone with 3+ years experience. They'll say something like "You don't need to worry about the taxes or anything, just punch in the receipts" and further down the listing, they say "2-3 years experience is a MUST," all caps on the must and everything.

I know Quicken pretty well, though I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of Quickbooks, but I assume it's similar (I know what the differences are, too). I could probably figure it out if I got like a demo or something beforehand. But they specifically say that they'll only consider candidates with 2-3 years experience.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post

Since my parents are wealthy then yeah, I did "coddle." Who the fuck wouldn't if you got everything handed to you. Now that I am getting married and such I want to be able to do things on my own now. Thanks for all the opinions and answers guys. Appreciate it!

Try to be a little more open and considerate to other people's life circumstances. Someone being out of high school and not having any work experience doesn't mean they were coddled, it could in fact mean the exact opposite.

I grew up with a single mother who had serious mental and physical health problems later in life and while she liked to continuously remind me that things aren't free in the real world and told me I needed to get a job, she would freak out if I left the house, even if it was to go job hunting. To make matters even better, my mom's health issues caught up to her and she passed away a month before my high school graduation and I spent the following years of my life hopping between temporary homes and would often have to leave too quick to find a job, or in 2 cases, leave the week I was hired. I'm now 22 and while I do have work experience, it's all volunteer work from middle school and I can't list it as a reference because I don't have phone numbers or names for contacts. To make matters worse, my inheritance from my mom's passing is locked away for 3 more years, and that inheritance unfortunately includes what was supposed to be my college fund.

Luckily, an older family friend has told me that I can use her name and number as a reference and say that I did babysitting and filing work for her. Problem is I live in a densely populated area with very few businesses, I never heard back from the places I applied to, and there's a 60-day wait before I can apply again. So right now I'm biding my time by trying to write and get published.

OP, you might be able to try the same thing. I can't prove it works, but it's worth a shot. If you have any older (anywhere in the 40s or above) friends, see if they're willing to pretend to be a former employer and put in a good word for you.

You can also try to find at-home jobs, "telecommuting" as they call it. If you have good people or writing skills, you may be able to find work online at home. IT might not provide the pay you're looking for at first though.

Another, similar, suggestion is to work for yourself. Figure out your talents and if you have any services you could provide, you can try putting them to use. Design web sites, write a novel and publish it with Kindle or Lulu. work as an independent artist if you have those skills.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now that I am getting married and such
    So you're a freshman in college with no work experience whatsoever looking for a job so you can "do things on your own", and you're getting married? Yeah good luck with that

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    Never Ever go work for mcdonalds or any franchise for min wage its a complete waste of time and you can make more money doing almost anything else.
    That's the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard. Working at places at Mc Donalds shows that you can:

• Work well in fast paced environments
    • Handle cash
    • Provide excellent customer service
    • Work as a part of a team
    • Handle food, in a safe manner

and that's just the team member if you get promoted to team leader or shift manager you can put down even more skills acquired from the job.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)