Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Unlimited Detail

Awsome Stuff can't wait for good graphics on a wooden computer

youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

youtube.com/watch?v=hxtuZE5pOGA

euclideon.com/

Heard about this awhile ago... pretty sure it doesn't work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    TL;DR version: It's not possible and would require terrabytes of storage just for one map. And once you get over these huge storage needs (every voxel needs to be saved somewhere), there's the problem that there are no known algorithms to move these voxels as we would move polygons on a skeleton.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    TL;DR version: It's not possible and would require terrabytes of storage just for one map. And once you get over these huge storage needs (every voxel needs to be saved somewhere), there's the problem that there are no known algorithms to move these voxels as we would move polygons on a skeleton.
    Right that was it. Physics and movement just doesn't work good with points like it does with polygons. Doing transformations on polygons is simple and efficient which is why it works so well in computer graphics.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Don't they have the animations all working like they showed in the video? I'm not sure if this is the one but here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF8A4bsfKH8
    Last edited by Alidori; 2011-11-01 at 08:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alidori View Post
    Don't they have the animations all working like they showed in the video? I'm not sure if this is the one but here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF8A4bsfKH8
    Great, they scripted two second movement (which probably took them ages) on a tiny ammount of voxels. Total size of that file is probably more than 20MB.

15+ Year Old Account
    There where no movements in that video...
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    There where no movements in that video...
    Static scripted movement.

Bear in mind that Minecraft uses Voxel tech, and look at how that game runs and looks.

The only tech I'd be hyped about is Gaikai.

Static scripted movement.

Bear in mind that Minecraft uses Voxel tech, and look at how that game runs and looks.

The only tech I'd be hyped about is Gaikai.
    He has an earlier video somewhere with hundreds of weird ass creatures moving around. A really early video....somewhere...

here's one of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZqPMg-Y7gE
    Last edited by Alidori; 2011-11-01 at 08:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take, say, Crysis 2 back to the guys who made Mario, and explain this was the future, but in terms they'd understand.

They'd probably laugh at you.

Just because something like this isn't possible NOW doesn't mean it won't be in the future. Good on them for attempting something outside of the box. If it picks up, more power to them; if not, well, at least they tried. They do have a point though, there are only so many ways to split a poly until you can't do it anymore.

Deleted
    Obvious snake oil, that company has been around for 5-10 years spouting the same bullshit with VERY little to show for it and no hard evidence that any of their technology exists. They scammed a few million AUD from their government recently so that'll tide them over for a while I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Just because something like this isn't possible NOW doesn't mean it won't be in the future.
    They're saying it's possible now, on an old laptop CPU and that it will run better than current polygon based software does on modern high-end GPUs.
    Last edited by mmocca70d558a3; 2011-11-01 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    Obvious snake oil, that company has been around for 5-10 years
    On the front page: Euclideon was formed in May 2010 and is the sole owner of the “Unlimited Detail” method for displaying unlimited point cloud data in real time. Our CEO is Bruce Robert Dell, the original creator of the method.

so...huh?

with VERY little to show for it and no hard evidence that any of their technology exists.
    You didn't watch the interview, did you?
    Last edited by Alidori; 2011-11-01 at 08:42 PM.

Deleted
    On the front page: Euclideon was formed in May 2010 and is the sole owner of the “Unlimited Detail” method for displaying unlimited point cloud data in real time. Our CEO is Bruce Robert Dell, the original creator of the method.

so...huh?
    http://www.agdc.com.au/about/archive...p#paid_to_play

Paid to Play Career Market fourth row. 8 years and a few extremely vague videos of low quality CG. John Carmack (id Software: Doom, Quake, Rage etc) and Notch (Minecraft) both said Unlimited Detail's current claims are complete bogus and I think John certainly a respectable person who knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Take, say, Crysis 2 back to the guys who made Mario, and explain this was the future, but in terms they'd understand.

They'd probably laugh at you.

Just because something like this isn't possible NOW doesn't mean it won't be in the future. Good on them for attempting something outside of the box. If it picks up, more power to them; if not, well, at least they tried. They do have a point though, there are only so many ways to split a poly until you can't do it anymore.
    Difference being that we can provide fairly simple explanations for why Crysis 2 became their future. It hasn't been anything particularly revolutionary along the way.

We don't have plausible explanations for how "unlimited detail" data volumes can be handled now or in the future. Being able to handle them *would* be revolutionary tech, in the sort of way where better game graphics would mean virtually nothing next to the rest of the societal changes we'd face. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but reasonable people withhold excitement when that's the hurdle for something to be realized.

That said, whether there's a reasonable middle ground where the data quantities are tractable and the quality superior to what we'd have with existing techniques, hard to say. Would be nice if that's the way things went, advances are good news.

However, I'm with the group that smells snake oil on this announcement.

Having high position != being right.

But, I do see how this is seen as impossible. I guess the creators have to come with better proof than just video to convince us, and preferably some facts we can all check and agree upon.

http://www.agdc.com.au/about/archive...p#paid_to_play

Paid to Play Career Market fourth row. 8 years and a few extremely vague videos of low quality CG. John Carmack (id Software: Doom, Quake, Rage etc) and Notch (Minecraft) both said Unlimited Detail's current claims are complete bogus and I think John certainly a respectable person who knows what he's talking about.
    But in Bruce disproved all of Notch's claims and Notch said yes he was wrong...No idea who John is.

Deleted
    Did you guys even watch the videos or are you just bashing because its the cool thing to do?
    He goes through every single negative comment and replies back on how its wrong.

Watch first -> Complain later.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    did you guys even watch the videos or are you just bashing because its the cool thing to do?
    He goes through every single negative comment and replies back on how its wrong.

Watch first -> complain later.
    what?!?! You want me to know facts?!?! Gtfo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Did you guys even watch the videos or are you just bashing because its the cool thing to do?

Watch first -> Complain later.
    Which is how they make their living. People sponsor their 'development' you see.

No idea who John is.
    Not sure if serious... But if you are... The lead programmer of id Software, done some major 3D graphics work like Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake etc... I'm fairly sure that the guy who basically responsible for everybody having a 3D accelerated video card knows something about the technology and what's possible.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.