Help me out with my dual monitor setup - one port isn't working?

First of all, my system specs:
    MSI P67 C43
    8GB Corsair Ripjaws Series, 9-9-9-9-24 @ 1600
    650W Corsair TX Series
    and before today, an HD 4890.

However, today I upgraded to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127575
    6950 2GB MSI Twin Frozr III.

Here's my problem: Prior to my installation of this 6950, I had 2 monitors connected to my 4890, both through the mini display ports. However, when I installed this 6950, it seems as though it doesn't even acknowledge there's a 2nd monitor connected to it, and when I try plugging in my 'main' monitor to that second display port, it doesn't work either.
    I'd assume it's a DOA card, but I want to go through my options first.
    Also, over the weekend instead of ordering from newegg, I decided to go to Frys instead and see if they had a video card I wanted. They did. I bought the same card as the MSI 6950, but not OC'd. Same problem happened. Maybe something is disabled? Or am I really just this unlucky?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you even enabled the second display in the display properties? Also, even if you had a previous card you need to confirm the settings and install new drivers for the new hardware.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

I already uninstalled the old drivers and installed the new ones. However, when I went to plug in my second monitor with the old video card, it would just automatically detect it.

And what are you talking about enabling the second display in the display properties? It doesn't even detect the second monitor..

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't sure if you meant Windows was detecting it or not. You're using an adapter I assume for the mini display connection right, maybe that one went bad?
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Yeah, and I'd guess that too if it didn't work with my 4890. However, reading this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1579657 it seems as though these cards don't support what I'm trying to do and thus, I need to buy an adapter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the same video card but mine is the Saphire Dirt 3 edition. You have to use the DVI ports to get a dual monitor display I believe. I actually have it set up with two 24" monitors. If you MUST use mini display just buy two mini disply to DVI converters. That should solve your problem I think.

The second port in that video card is DVI-D only. You cannot use a DVI-I or DVI-A connection on it. You need to make sure your monitor does not have a VGA adaptor between it and the card. You also need to make sure that if your monitor has both ports on the back, it has a way to switch channels. You can only use the digital signal, not analog. Nothing is wrong with your hardware other than your monitor is not outputting a digital signal.