What to focus on after ctc cap

hello all i've finally gotten my prot gear to the ctc cap. unbuffed im at 101.09%, with buffs and food buffs im not sure what im at. but my friend told me that you also add a 5% miss chance? so really unbuffed im 106.09%? if thats correct.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...stice/advanced

heres my armory, basically what i want to know is what to look for in gear/reforge etc. i've also heard a few times that when you get to this point and have enough mastery, i could switch my 67 mastery gems to the 101 stam if im able to still be at ctc cap.

Once you reach the CTC cap of 102.4% (you can check with the below macro) you should start stacking stamina. Some people might say avoidance but they're wrong. Make sure you have Battle Shout or Horn of Winter up along with Mastery Food and Kings or Mark of the Wild before using the macro. As a paladin, you should try to keep your parry and dodge somewhat close after being buffed (within 1%, if possible.) If you're capped and are close in the Parry:Dodge ratio, just stack as much stamina as humanly possible but NEVER drop below the cap.

/run DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance() +5))
    Here's my Paladin armory for a point of reference:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...elocity/simple

Here is my main Protection Warrior in case you have the need, as well:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Xpariah/simple
    Last edited by Pariah; 2011-11-09 at 07:57 PM.

Xpariah
    , Protection Warrior
    Xdh, Vengeance Demon Hunter
    Reckoning, Usually Recruiting
    YouTube & Twitch, Warrior & DH Tank PoV

postin you a pm in a sec

Quote Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
    Once you reach the CTC cap of 102.4% (you can check with the below macro) you should start reforging for stamina.
    I'd like to play your version of WoW/

Hey Rough, I've been CTC capped for a while ..and from what I have notice, most tanks are now going for a little more stamina to give a cushion for healers and dps/threat stats to help with enrage timers. The most important of these stats is expertise soft cap or 26...or 16 with the glyph.
    You can also go with more avoidance over mitigation. Mastery = shield block or mitigating part of the hit, where as changing some mastery to parry and dodge = avoidance and not taking the hit at all.
    Most tanks these days are sporting somewhere around 25-27 mastery and about 15% parry and dodge whereas when i was trying to get to CTC capped I was sporting 32 mastery as there isn't a cap/DR (diminishing returns) where as dodge and parry have DR. However, with gear I've changed a lot of stats around.

side note ...your friend is correct ..there is a 5% miss table on all mobs.
    Here is a handy macro for checking your CTC, remember kings/mark and Battle Shout/Horn of winter both increase your CTC:
    /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage to be capped. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f",GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5))

make that into a macro and just hit it when you want to test your CTC ..don't forget raid buffs and food buff.

One tip: when switching from pure tanking gear to some threat pieces ..get gear that has a ton of mastery and a threat stat ...like the Greathelm of Voracious Maw off Alysrazor.

Also here is my armory to see what I did : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ghman/advanced

here is an article on your same question on Maintankadin.com a great site for pally tanks ..i suggest memorizing this site: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...f746a15e3ae521

another thread : on the same subject ...same site: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...f746a15e3ae521

Enjoy.

Doughman

Quote Originally Posted by paloalto View Post
    I'd like to play your version of WoW/
    what is wrong with his version of wow ? or different from yours for that matter?
    Last edited by Malthanis; 2011-11-09 at 08:02 PM.

He probably means my misuse of reforging for stamina. I'll correct my post.

Xpariah
    , Protection Warrior
    Xdh, Vengeance Demon Hunter
    Reckoning, Usually Recruiting
    YouTube & Twitch, Warrior & DH Tank PoV

ahhh i see...said the blind man to the deaf woman.

Theckhd wrote a blog post outlining his opinion here: http://sacredduty.net/2011/10/14/wha...ing-block-cap/

I think he makes a compelling case. The quick summary is that your choices are stamina to give the healers more wiggle room, or avoidance to reduce your damage and save healer mana. Healers aren't typically being horribly crunched for mana, therefore he argues that stamina is preferable.

Personally I continued gearing for mastery until I had one gearset where I could swap in an avoidance trinket(s) without dropping substantially below full CTC coverage, and a second gearset (the one I typically use) where I'm stacking stamina and am just over CTC cap with a mastery dominated setup.

Deleted
    Imho there is not THE correct answer to what to aim for after reaching the ctc cap.It's dependant on many factors, your raids current state of progress your healers etc, for example when we were still progressing Baleroc the 4 piece t4 bonus was really nice to have, whereas now where our healers and tanks are way better geared, the 4 piece bonus breaks down to roughly 2,1 parry overall without having that much of a big impact anymore since there are no more foreseable "oh s*it" moments anymore.

our raid for example was lacking damage when fighting Ragnaros and we were missing 2 seedphases and 1 meteor by just a tad of damage, so what i did since our healers had absolutely no problem keeping me alive was i went for 2 piece retri setbonus and expertise cap while still maintaining ctc cap and 200k hp, which is fairly easy achievable, since the retri set also has a good amount of mastery on it.Doing so i could now achieve a solid 20k dps in p1 and 30k burst during p3 with popped cds and bl, which finally enabled us to achieve 2 seedphases and 1 meteor, making the encounter a fair bit easier.

However, i play 10 man, so I contribute 1/8th of the damage, if you're playing 25 man, you'll only contribute 1/22th of the damage (considering you play with 3 healers) and your damage has way less impact than on 10 man.

Aggro shouldnt be a problem, even when you go for full survivabillity, so if you don't go for survivabillity you should do it to shorten encounters, or for your own convenience if your healers don't have problems keeping you alive.

Another factor is what you put your focus on while gearing, for example when fighting ragnaros and you play tb trinket and dp glyph pure stamina becomes less important than effective health since for all those abillities that you need pure stamina for you have something more effective to deal with it and I'd rather focus more on effective health.If you don't have tb trinket and dp glyph pure health is the way to go to deal with those mechanics, but the downside is that this will eat through your healers mana faster.

I hope this post helped you a bit finding the right way for your tank, since imo there is no setinstone way for this question