Page 42 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Aight, so, I tinkered with C-States and whatnot .. Seems Asus boards wont let you disable Turbo completely. They have their own "Turbo" mode as well, and its either Intel's, or Asus's. No other way about it. So, I reset everything to default, re-did my boot order appropriately, and fired up the "4-Way optimization" deal. Set it to target 4.4Ghz, with the "Balanced" setting in windows power profiles selected .... For the first time, the system booted @ 4.4Ghz, with less than 1.250v. After the program did all its magic, I had a semi-stable 4.4Ghz clock. I then changed the power profile to High Performance, and attempted to boot ... no go. Slowly bumped voltage till I could get into windows .. Got to the desktop @ 1.280v. Ran a single test .. BSOD. Back into bios .. Set vCore to 1.304v, and VCCIN to 1.860v .... heres what I ended up with ..

TL;DR= C-States have almost no bearing. The windows power options, do. 30 minutes of pretty heavy and different workloads, stable as can be. Might just sit here and be happy with it, lol.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

10+ Year Old Account
    call me old-fashioned but i still OC from the bios, those utilities never did it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    call me old-fashioned but i still OC from the bios, those utilities never did it for me.
    The funny thing is .. the 4.4Ghz clock I had before re-setting, was the same settings I have in that screenie. All done within the BIOS. Asus's lil deal is pretty decent, it actually communicates directly with the bios, and settings are saved to it. It's 4.2Ghz target sets the vCore to 1.200v, and is stable. For being a "1 Button Wonder" its far and away better than the MSI equivalent, IMO. Heres a vid that details it pretty nicely, with the Mr. JJ from Asus himself.

http://youtu.be/_zb499DBvMs
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, this is why i dont like those 1button programs. 1.2V for 4.2 is quite high.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, if you care about having a good overclock, always use the BIOS.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I don't think you guys are catching what I'm saying. This chip, and the one before it, are both poor enough quality to require 0.042v-0.050v per multiplier increase. At 3.8Ghz, which is the default setting the chip(s) will auto Turbo to with the first boot ever, the voltage is auto-set at 1.172-1.800v. 1.8+ 0.050v per multi = 4.2@ 1.20v.

Each time I've used the BIOS to dial in settings, I've ended with the same results that the software does. I have a good overclock. as good as I'm going to get with this particular chip. Getting 4.6Ghz @ 1.200v is rare. Even JJ's cherry picked chips require 1.280v to get 4.8Ghz. The difference there is 0.040v. So, 1.300v for a 4.4Ghz clock is not terrible. There are chips that require 1.4v to get 4.3Ghz stable. Its just the nature of Haswell.

"Yeah, this is why i dont like those 1button programs. 1.2V for 4.2 is quite high." Your leaderboard clock @ 4.6Ghz required 1.35v. I'm at 4.4Ghz, 1.304v. I could probably push to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, but temps get into the 80+ range for this chip, so for now I'm chillin at 4.4. You also are de-lidded, and lapped. Giving you more headroom with temps. I'm just stock, outta the box for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    tbh the 1.35V was to be on the safe side, and not have it poopout at the 6hr mark or something, making me do it all over again. The voltage can be lower then that, but because of the delid/lap/liquid ultra it doesn't matter. Even 1.416V will only make it to ~72.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bump for hopefully some new overclocks! Devil's Canyon has been out for a bit now and CPUs are arriving at peoples' local stores and doorsteps, along with that fancy new 20 year anniversary Pentium! I am excited to get some new posts on here! Come on folks! (Looking at you, Cyanotical.)
    "A flower.

I'm going to be looking out for binned first gen Haswells, as im sure they will be turning up on eBay and the like now that DC is out. I'd love to roll DC.. but... cant really justify it with just having picked up Haswell a few months ago. Could always just go for broke with my current Haswell... and grab a v2 as a replacement... /1.45v OC's inc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds awesome, would love to see them!
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravewyrm View Post
    Could always just go for broke with my current Haswell... and grab a v2 as a replacement... /1.45v OC's inc?
    Gonna have to do a lot better then that to kill haswell. I think people severely underestimate how tough these things are. Especially considering short-term usage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Bump for hopefully some new overclocks! Devil's Canyon has been out for a bit now and CPUs are arriving at peoples' local stores and doorsteps, along with that fancy new 20 year anniversary Pentium! I am excited to get some new posts on here! Come on folks! (Looking at you, Cyanotical.)
    Name: Cyanotical
    Processor: i7-4790k
    Clock: 4Ghz/4.4Ghz twin core turbo
    Voltage: stock
    Cooler: bequiet dark rock pro 3
    Screenshot LINK: eh
    Valid CPU-Z link: intel.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Name: Cyanotical
    Processor: i7-4790k
    Clock: 4Ghz/4.4Ghz twin core turbo
    Voltage: stock
    Cooler: bequiet dark rock pro 3
    Screenshot LINK: eh
    Valid CPU-Z link: intel.com
    You know I don't give away spots.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Gonna have to do a lot better then that to kill haswell. I think people severely underestimate how tough these things are. Especially considering short-term usage.
    I guess I should have been more clear ... 1.45v on air / AIO. I've no LN2 to play with

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravewyrm View Post
    I guess I should have been more clear ... 1.45v on air / AIO. I've no LN2 to play with
    I'm still betting that it won't kill it, maybe in a couple of years but not instantly.

For the giggles, I tried to go to 4.5Ghz lil bit ago. I had to go over 1.375v to get 4.4 and my spot on the leader board ... at 1.392v, I got BSOD when attempting a Handbrake stress test. This particular chip is just ... terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will be interesting to get some X99 stuff on here...
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Will be interesting to get some X99 stuff on here...
    Im just waiting for a Rampage V Gene then im gonna grab a 5820K and 32gb of RAM, I want to set up a RAMdisk and install WoW on it lol ... I will probably get one of the new M.2 Samsung SSD too!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure I heard something along the lines of them not releasing a Rampage V Gene, though I could be wrong. Personally I don't see why not, but eh, I'm not an mATX person really anyways, so I don't pay attention to all of that. I would think they'd maybe say no more mATX + X99 as it should be a big beasty computer, not a small computer. Who knows though... they did make a Rampage IV Gene, after all.

WoW on RAMDisks is neat but at the same time a little silly, I wonder how much better it will perform given DDR4 2133+ MHz RAM, though. And who knows how much the higher CAS Latency timings will/will not affect it...

- - - Updated - - -

Thinking about bringing OCCT back as a stress tester. Currently running a very conservative 3.5ghz oc at 1.175 v. So far over 3 hours in. Aiming for 4ghz + down the road.
    "A flower.

I remember somebody's coverage of the latest IT convention mentioning a couple of ITX and mATX X99 boards.