need some computer help (i7 950 running at 65c)

so today I worked on my cable management and got my computer looking noice. After hooking it back up I got the BootMGR missing error, fixed that. Then my computer would beep once and turn off, fixed that. Now it's running at 30c idle with nothing going on then shooting up to 60-70c when I run chrome, install a windows update, or pretty much anything. Anyone know what could be causing this?

"Scientists explore what is; engineers create what has not been." -Theodore Von Karman

Maybe when you were managing cables the heatsink got bumped or moved. I would reseat it and test with a high stress program.

I'd guess your heatsink got moved and/or thermal compound got ruined.

A solution to this would be to buy some (assuming you don't already have) thermal compound, unequipping your heatsink, applying cleaning alcohol on your CPU (turned off, obviously!) and the bottom of your heatsink. Not too much.
    Then use a fraction of thermal compound (pea-size) on the CPU itself before re-affixing the heatsink.

alright will do

"Scientists explore what is; engineers create what has not been." -Theodore Von Karman

Deleted
    Have you applied thermal paste ? Check the heatsink, thoose Intel heatsinks can be very tricky.

I found out that two corners of my heatsink had come loose. Got some Arctic 5 from RadioShack and now everything is good! With the new wire system and thermal paste it's about 6 degrees cooler. Thanks for your help, mmo-champs :>

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lr20 View Post
    Have you applied thermal paste ? Check the heatsink, thoose Intel heatsinks can be very tricky.
    If he had not applied thermal paste I am 98% certain his CPU would have skyrocketed in temperature and had a thermal shut down.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I actually didn't have enough paste the first time I put on my fan and each core was at 100c. insta shut down and added more paste then everything was coolio.