Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I've played the beta for a bit, and the basic gameplay is almost exactly like WoW. There are differences, of course, but if you're sick of WoW's gameplay, you likely won't be happy with SW:TOR either. If you're okay with the WoW gameplay, but unhappy with WoW as a game or simply looking for something fresh, you'll probably enjoy SW:TOR.

Its basically kotor with the companions, game world, and setting, and wow for quest types. Its its own beast, not a wow clone. After 6 years of wow, this feels refreshing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qanlayeni View Post
    Also i can understand if they are aiming for the mass market here with these kind of PVE grind quests because thats what the market seems to want. unfornetly for me, i would call myself a minority, is that ive been doing this for 6 years, and i need a change
    The grind quests don't really work like that. In SWTOR, the quests given by NPCs tend to be quests with large overarching themes. For example, in one of your early quests you have to destroy (or preserve) an elixir that is making a village of people go insane. While you're in the cave destroying the elixir, a bonus quest pops up that says if you kill X amount of cave dwellers you'll get bonus exp.

That's how the grind quests work in SWTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The grind quests don't really work like that. In SWTOR, the quests given by NPCs tend to be quests with large overarching themes. For example, in one of your early quests you have to destroy (or preserve) an elixir that is making a village of people go insane. While you're in the cave destroying the elixir, a bonus quest pops up that says if you kill X amount of cave dwellers you'll get bonus exp.

That's how the grind quests work in SWTOR.
    To me that sounds like the well it shoud be, grind quests as you say, a bonus, and not needed to continue. Dont get me long i like the idea of these kind of quests, but for having done so for such a long time, a change would be nice

what i mean is if TOR is a contains quests like *kill 10 of that, collect 5 of these* then i have abolutely no interest in that, been doing that for over 6 years
    Most if not all of these quests in SWTOR are optional. For instance, you're clearing aggressive monsters on your way to a quest objective and there is an NPC that will give you credits for killing 10 of these monsters so he can finally go home or w/e... Or a monster will drop something that will offer a quest for you to collect more of said item, etc...

Most of the collect quests are optional and "along the way" sort of quests, that you will complete anyway by completing the quest that brought you to this area in the first place.

This is not a WoW vs TOR thread, is more to the point is TOR is to be like WoW? I understand they are are both MMORPG but can someone briefly sum up in a few sentences what TOR brings to the MMORPG table, thanks
    It's functionally very similar to World of Warcraft. SWTOR has it's gimmicks like cutscenes just as Rift had it's gimmick of rifts, Aion wings, etc.

If you played WoW before the impulse and scheme behind TOR will be familiar. Loot upgrades, dungeons, raids, Tank/Heald/DPS, etc.

Also i can understand if they are aiming for the mass market here with these kind of PVE grind quests because thats what the market seems to want. unfornetly for me, i would call myself a minority, is that ive been doing this for 6 years, and i need a change
    TOR has actually evolved this system a bit, not dramatically, you still have the kill 6 of this type quests, but they revolve around the main story quests now instead of being their own separate quests, to give a rough idea, you'll recieve a quest to collect a certain artifact or holocron, of a select few special items the quest giver wants, and as expected, there are lots of mobs between you and the item(s) in question, you kill the first one and boom, your given a bonus quest to kill more of these guys, but the quest doesnt really matter, cause to get to the item, you'll need to kill more than the required amount of these guys anyways, which really helps in taking out the grinding feel of questing. most quests intentionally take you through heavy combat area's so when you recieve many of these kill x amount, or collect x amount, you complete those simply by pushing towards the main story objective

There are bits that seem like WoW, but considering WoW ripped off the better parts of the MMOs from its generation, really just about everything is a ripoff of another these days. You're going to find similarities I would guesstimate in at least half of the big budget MMORPGs out there really.

But is it almost direct clone, ala Rift? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinryu View Post
    There are bits that seem like WoW, but considering WoW ripped off the better parts of the MMOs from its generation, really just about everything is a ripoff of another these days. You're going to find similarities I would guesstimate in at least half of the big budget MMORPGs out there really.

But is it almost direct clone, ala Rift? No.
    Bogus and incorrect.

SWTOR is more like WOW than any MMO yet produced. Classes are singular, dungeon and badge progression is linear. Dungeons are named normal/heroic with no added content. Raids are also linear. Combat reaction time and input response is the same as default WoW as well.

The only really differences are cosmetic and a more EQ-like zone layout in the planets themselves. And of course the Mass Effect cutscene gimmick.

That isn't to say the direct copying of WOW mechanics and gameplay are a bad thing, per se. But it is completely appropriate to shorthand; SWTOR is World of Warcraft in space.

It's the the most direct clone of WOW to see release. Not a clone in look obvs.- but actual structure, gameplay and responsiveness it is indistinguishable from WoW; from rage bars to spell power.

what i mean is if TOR is a contains quests like *kill 10 of that, collect 5 of these* then i have abolutely no interest in that, been doing that for over 6 years
    They are - sort of. You get a quest to go kill some important robot, or secure an ancient artifact, and on the way you run into enemies, after you kill the first one, a bonus quest pops up to kill some of them, you don't need to do this, but you will get a better reward when you hand the quest in.

---------- Post added 2011-11-20 at 12:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Bogus and incorrect.

SWTOR is more like WOW than any MMO yet produced. Classes are singular, dungeon and badge progression is linear. Dungeons are named normal/heroic with no added content. Raids are also linear. Combat reaction time and input response is the same as default WoW as well.

The only really differences are cosmetic and a more EQ-like zone layout in the planets themselves. And of course the Mass Effect cutscene gimmick.

That isn't to say the direct copying of WOW mechanics and gameplay are a bad thing, per se. But it is completely appropriate to shorthand; SWTOR is World of Warcraft in space.

It's the the most direct clone of WOW to see release. Not a clone in look obvs.- but actual structure, gameplay and responsiveness it is indistinguishable from WoW; from rage bars to spell power.
    While this comes across as though it is a negative thing, I actually think it's a good thing. WoW is the biggest MMO, certainly many people who go to SWTOR will have played it, and it's underlying mechanics work well, copying that while making it still your own game is by no means a bad thing at all.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    MMORPGs are like other MMORPGs? omg who would of thought! We must tell others!

No but in all seriousness now..of course a new mmo is going to take some stuff from a hugely successful old mmo.

See torftw's post for a good list of some new elements that tor has though.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you expect in a MMO Seriously. Wow was the first real success world wide in the MMO market. So of course it will be "like wow" because WOW is a MMO. That's like saying all bread is a copy of Wonder bread. You would just sound like a ignorant fool.

When a wild forum troll appears

more emphasis on the story. with all voice acting and lots of cut scenes. most of the rest is pretty much the standard hotkey mmo stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    While this comes across as though it is a negative thing, I actually think it's a good thing. WoW is the biggest MMO, certainly many people who go to SWTOR will have played it, and it's underlying mechanics work well, copying that while making it still your own game is by no means a bad thing at all.
    Yea, agreed.

Just wanna stress that I am not speaking negatively of SWTOR up above. Esp. in relation to Rift being a copy of WoW or being more WOW-like. It is an ignorant and incorrect statement.

is battlefield 3 going to be like modern warfare?
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Yea, agreed.

Just wanna stress that I am not speaking negatively of SWTOR up above. Esp. in relation to Rift being a copy of WoW or being more WOW-like. It is an ignorant and incorrect statement.
    When SWTOR implements cross server BGs and a cross server LFG like Rift did, I will probably agree with you. I can also close my eyes tightly and imagine that WoW and Rift are more similar to Global Agenda than an MMO but hey... that would be an ignorant and incorrect statement.

Bogus and incorrect.

Right, what you've just posted is bogus and incorrect in large; granted if you actually played in beta and those are your opinions from your impressions of the game, fair enough, but to call it WoW in space if you haven't played in beta and are just basing this off the stuff you've seen since the NDA was lifted, that is just being stupid. Otherwise, you may as well just ignore everything WoW ripped off its predecessors and just call every MMO made since a WoW clone with different flavors.
    Last edited by Shinryu; 2011-11-20 at 02:17 AM.

SWTOR is aiming to be the next incremental step in the MMO market, not a complete revamp of the system.

If Bioware/EA has its way, when the history of traditional MMOs is written it will say:
    First came Ultima Online!
    Then came Everquest, which was like ultima but with improvements. And a bunch of other games that weren't everquest, like DAOC and Lineage.
    Then came World of Warcraft! which was like everquest, but with improvements and a fairly popular game world. And a bunch of other games that weren't world of warcraft, like SWG and Guild Wars.
    Then came SWTOR! with improvements and a super-massively-popular game world. and a bunch of other games that weren't SWTOR, like Rift and Guild Wars 2.

Now whether or not that comes to be remains to be seen. But that's what they're going for. Not a brand new type of MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard : TOR has taken our subs :<

BIOWARE : WE RULE THE MARKET FOR EVER

ArenaNet : Here you go people, Guild Wars 2

BIOWARE : YOUR NOT GETTING OU- Oh crap they all left ....

ArenaNet : *British voice* Indeed *Sips tea*

OT : Only Guild Wars will stand against World of Warcraft ...

Infracted.*
    Your post had nothing to do with the topic and brought up things off topic to start a game vs game war. Please post on topic and constructively.*
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-20 at 05:54 PM.

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    Blizzard : TOR has taken our subs :<

BIOWARE : WE RULE THE MARKET FOR EVER

ArenaNet : Here you go people, Guild Wars 2

BIOWARE : YOUR NOT GETTING OU- Oh crap they all left ....

ArenaNet : *British voice* Indeed *Sips tea*

OT : Only Guild Wars will stand against World of Warcraft ...
    WHY would you think this, really? If you're such a GW2 fanboy, you should know GW2 has NO sub, as in you don't pay a monthly fee, as in you can play SWTOR and GW2 without quitting one. Holy shit playing multiple games, it sounds crazy i know but guess what, i'm going to be doing the same thing.

But to be honest, i'd much rather prefer people like you only play GW2, so i only have to interact with you over there ^^