Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    You have just failed the MMO purity test. The MMO Investigative Division will arrive shortly. Stay put and remain calm.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinryu View Post
    Right, what you've just posted is bogus and incorrect in large; granted if you actually played in beta and those are your opinions from your impressions of the game, fair enough, but to call it WoW in space if you haven't played in beta and are just basing this off the stuff you've seen since the NDA was lifted, that is just being stupid.
    About a month in Beta. Pre registered guild. Guild invite testing. Beta forum poster.

What World of Warcraft took from other games is not at all relevant. Innovation as some fountainhead has nothing to do with SWTOR sticking very closely to the gameplay and structure of the most successful MMO in history.

The only differences are cosmetic. There is not a single eccentricity in the game whatsoever. One might cite a rage bar in Everquest and draw the parallel to SWTOR's rage bars just as well. But this thread asks if it is a game similar to World of Warcraft. To that effect in the vulgar, it is nearly identical right down to keystroke response.

This is no ill thing. World of Warcraft is highly successful and well made game. This is expressly the style and model SWTOR purposefully is going for; from art direction to progression models. SWTOR aims to be in the popular standard and expectation created by World of Warcraft.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You could not be bothered to look at the 4 trillion page sticky with the list of like everything this game has to offer? Seriously? this is not enough to really warrant any new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Bogus and incorrect.

SWTOR is more like WOW than any MMO yet produced. Classes are singular, dungeon and badge progression is linear. Dungeons are named normal/heroic with no added content. Raids are also linear. Combat reaction time and input response is the same as default WoW as well.

The only really differences are cosmetic and a more EQ-like zone layout in the planets themselves. And of course the Mass Effect cutscene gimmick.

That isn't to say the direct copying of WOW mechanics and gameplay are a bad thing, per se. But it is completely appropriate to shorthand; SWTOR is World of Warcraft in space.

It's the the most direct clone of WOW to see release. Not a clone in look obvs.- but actual structure, gameplay and responsiveness it is indistinguishable from WoW; from rage bars to spell power.
    Talk about bogus and incorrect lol.

While some of the more successful nitty gritty stuff is from wow the game and especially the company are vastly different in feel and flow. I won't deny some core parts resemble WoW but only on the most basic and bare levels. It is far from a clone set in space, same "species" maybe but saying its the same is like saying your house cat is an exact copy of a saber tooth tiger or a Lion.

Quests are far more meaningful and with actual direction and purpose. Whereas most WoW quests are basically "These trolls are bothering me, kill them" no questions asked, Even some of the more detached quests not linked to the story-line have some depth by including choice.

One non-story quest involves an officer telling you to put explosives in enemy communicators that will be scavenged, but the person who gives you the bombs suggests you put them in grenades enemies will scavenge so that civilians looking for parts will not get caught in the cross-fire.

I was playing a greedy-evilish character but attacking only the enemies made a certain amount of sense to me. No wasted supplies and less offending the civilians when the takeover happens. There was no greater reward for the evil choice so I choose the grenades explosives. The fact that I thought about this quest for even a moment speak loads over any WoW quest I have ever done in 5 years of playing.

Most grinding quests appear automatically as "bonus" that are likely done in the process of the more in-depth quests, they typically offer a small experience bonus only so nothing is missed when they aren't completed.

Then there's the fact effort seems to go into the quality, not just quantity of the game unlike blizzard.

There is nothing like space battles in WoW, it's not amazing but it is an extra feature like nothing in most other MMOs.

Companions add a lot to the game if you actually bother to pay attention to them.

No auto attack forces you to actually keep paying attention to what you are doing.

There are tons more differences then cosmetic. If cosmetics is the only difference scenes you are playing the game wrong or not to it's fullest and intended potential.
    Last edited by Argroth; 2011-11-20 at 03:25 AM.
    Biowares Go-to Plan:
    - Offer something for free
    - Change mind and charge for it
    - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR WORK HAS BUGS
    - Never fix bugs and give crappy CS.

Just watched a stream of space combat, thought about this thread and lol'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is but from what Ive experienced its sooo much more enjoyable. The basic mechanics are mostly the same, but the other stuff like voice overs, story, companions etc just creates a totally different (better) level of immersion
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~

It's WoW without 7 years of development time.
    So yes, just keep playing WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
    Just watched a stream of space combat, thought about this thread and lol'd.
    Have fun with the rail-shooter for 10minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyfrax View Post
    WHY would you think this, really? If you're such a GW2 fanboy, you should know GW2 has NO sub, as in you don't pay a monthly fee, as in you can play SWTOR and GW2 without quitting one. Holy shit playing multiple games, it sounds crazy i know but guess what, i'm going to be doing the same thing.

But to be honest, i'd much rather prefer people like you only play GW2, so i only have to interact with you over there ^^
    Legitimate response; assuming infinite time. I don't know about you, but one MMO fills my free tme well enough; and two would be too much for any well-rounded individual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    It's WoW without 7 years of development time.
    So yes, just keep playing WoW.
    But its so boooooring and swtor isnt, so its not completely the same ^_^
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~

Quote Originally Posted by Ixator View Post
    But its so boooooring and swtor isnt, so its not completely the same ^_^
    With the beta I was over it by Lv. 20.
    it's WoW with a new skin and similar graphics.

Newness will ware away. A completely different game will not.
    Something tells me you don't like swtor.

Newness will ware away.
    it may wear.

but I for one like competition in the marketplace. many people don't. these people tend to like doing the same things over and over with little variety.

do these people make poor lovers? it is very possible.

Quote Originally Posted by morlem View Post
    Something tells me you don't like swtor.
    Nope, but at least I gave it a chance, hmm?

I prefer what we've seen of MoP to this. And I'll prefer GW2 above them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Encarn View Post
    it may wear.

but I for one like competition in the marketplace. many people don't. these people tend to like doing the same things over and over with little variety.

do these people make poor lovers? it is very possible.
    You don't compete with WoW with a WoW clone, and that's what TOR is shaping to be.
    Last edited by Minky; 2011-11-20 at 04:39 AM.

Leveling has it's merits, but having to level characters in order to re-roll is so freakin annoying. I don't like questing. I enjoy raiding. Questing is mind numbing even if there's LONG cut scenes or someone babbling on in my ear the whole time in RP fashion. I just want to raid and pvp. No more leveling, please.

You don't compete with WoW with a WoW clone.
    some people know more about marketing and product development than executives at major companies. these people sometimes provide their wisdom on anonymous messageboards.

i think these people should apply for executive vice president for product development at major video game entertainment publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Qanlayeni View Post
    what i mean is if TOR is a contains quests like *kill 10 of that, collect 5 of these* then i have abolutely no interest in that, been doing that for over 6 years
    I have about 8 guildies in Beta. We were a WoW guild for 5 years and most don't play WoW right now. However, they have told me since the NDA lifted that the "grindyness" or "pick up 10 poo's here and 15 poo's there" isn't in TOR. They have told me that the questing is fantastic in comparison and even better for the class quests.

Mind you they were limited to Beta restrictions on level and such (I don't know what they were or anything), but from what they experienced it was a lot better than what WoW offered in this regard.

Hope that helps a bit.

It's a wow clone more than people even want to imagine. All it really has that's new is voice acting/cut scenes for every quest and that gets old after doing the quests a few times.

10+ Year Old Account

You don't compete with WoW with a WoW clone, and that's what TOR is shaping to be.
    WoW beat EQ with an EQ clone. It's success came from building on EQs game play and improving that, SWTOR is doing the same thing. Never have I wanted to know what happens next in a quest as much as I did in SWTOR. You're able to build who your character is as a person instead of feeling just like any of person with a title slapped on. Your opinion isn't fact, believe it or not. Just like mine isn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    Blizzard : TOR has taken our subs :<

BIOWARE : WE RULE THE MARKET FOR EVER

ArenaNet : Here you go people, Guild Wars 2

BIOWARE : YOUR NOT GETTING OU- Oh crap they all left ....

ArenaNet : *British voice* Indeed *Sips tea*

OT : Only Guild Wars will stand against World of Warcraft ...
    people that say this...i have a hard time believing any of u played GWs lol

on to topic.

the story driven quests is the best part of swtor. yes its very similar to WOW but very different. its not like each NPC reads u the full wow quests text. more like: hey i need help can u do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lumocolor View Post
    It's a wow clone more than people even want to imagine. All it really has that's new is voice acting/cut scenes for every quest and that gets old after doing the quests a few times.

1) By this logic any game that is released that is composed of multiple races, classes, skill trees, quests, instances, and raiding is a WoW Clone.

2) Therefore no more MMO's may ever be produced without being a WoW clone.

3) WoW Clones are bad.

4) Ergo, any future MMO's made are bad.

Sounds like a perfectly logical and impartial approach to videogame entertainment. I applaud your use of Aristotelian logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Auminer View Post
    I have about 8 guildies in Beta. We were a WoW guild for 5 years and most don't play WoW right now. However, they have told me since the NDA lifted that the "grindyness" or "pick up 10 poo's here and 15 poo's there" isn't in TOR. They have told me that the questing is fantastic in comparison and even better for the class quests.
    Your friends lied to you. A lot of quests have bonus quests of "kill X amount of this or that" on your way to kill an evil sith lord and if you do kill X amount of whatever many quests then update to "kill another X amount of this or that", some quests even update 2-3 times and you end up killing 100+ mobs to complete them and there are plenty of "go pick up pieces of wrecked ships" or "dropped supplies" quests.

I'll agree with your friends that i haven't come across a "pick up poo" quest yet...lol