Poll: Do you want a cross-server LFD tool in GW2?

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm glad LFD is in WoW - I'm sorry I don't play GW2 so I wouldn't really be able to comment on this, but I like anything that allows me to do other stuff in between so I don't have to sit around shouting "LFG, LFG!!", if that's what your getting at
    Last edited by mmocf4ececadd2; 2011-11-23 at 10:33 AM.

Deleted
    I see a poll appeared! Or maybe it was always there and I'm just blind.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    Off-topic, but throwing it out there anyways:

You need Steam to install the game and launch it the first time, but only the Skyrim launcher itself is actually tied to Steam. The Skyrim game binary was intentionally left untied to facilitate all kinds of fancy things the community will undoubtedly come up with in time. In other words you can choose to omit using Steam after installation and first-run if you so wish, though I'd still suggest atleast logging in every few weeks so Steam can download the newest updates to Skyrim.

Other than that.. well, it's a totally awesome game and you'll very likely have quite a lot of fun in it
    Thank you very much for clarifying that

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    And truly last, you need to be typing some stuff in /p in Iron Tombs or Blackrock Depths so you wouldn't feel you're in a single-player RPG playing with npcs. I mean What's the difference from me joining LFD in WoW and just saying "hello" then we all go around for our badges and ... Skyrim where I have my companion, I can't control him/her, if I click him/her he/she says "hello" and is actually as useful as a pug (as in, sometimes very useful, but sometimes I'd want to kill him/her because of how stupid he/she is)?
    AI is as good as how it's been designed. GW1 bots AI is pretty decent and i lost count of the number of times i wish i could get a bot half that good in a wow pug.

speaking of pugs, i'd be interested to see how groups will have to deal with (in random order of importance) afk-ers, pseudo d/c-ers, leavers, flamers, trolls, etc.

Well, that can be used as argument either way: there's teleports all over the place, why teleport? And there's teleports all over the place so you'll be there in a minute anyways, why not just skip a few loading screens and teleport you right away?

I personally don't really care either way, it's too minor a thing to whine about.
    With that bolded, I agree with you completely =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    I see where you're coming from and it could work, but GW1 worked just fine with its city to city LFG system. Most of the time if you were in a guild you never needed LFG anyway at least I didn't. I do see where a LFD could work but then it's just everyone sitting in a city waiting for their LFD queue - which is what they're trying to avoid. That's just how I feel about it, anyway.

Edit: Not to mention that in WoW the LFD system worked because you need something simple: tank, healer, 3 dps. In Gw2 you won't have those rolls spelled out for you and it'll work on an individual group to group basis.
    So instead of everyone sitting in a city waiting for a queue, you'd prefer everyone sitting in a city spamming "LFG!"? The only way not having a LFD would cut down on said people, is because those people don't want to bother with that sort of hassle. In that case, you are forcing people who would normally want to do one thing to do something else. That just doesn't seem like good gameplay. Why should there be a system(or lack thereof) in place that actively prevents people from what they want to do?

Yes I understand that. The fact still remains that a LFD function would make it very much easier to form groups, and as long as it isn't cross server, I fail to see a downside to it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Off-topic, but throwing it out there anyways:

You need Steam to install the game and launch it the first time, but only the Skyrim launcher itself is actually tied to Steam. The Skyrim game binary was intentionally left untied to facilitate all kinds of fancy things the community will undoubtedly come up with in time. In other words you can choose to omit using Steam after installation and first-run if you so wish, though I'd still suggest atleast logging in every few weeks so Steam can download the newest updates to Skyrim.

Other than that.. well, it's a totally awesome game and you'll very likely have quite a lot of fun in it
    I'd just like to add that the newest patch on Steam tied the .exe to the steam application so you won't be able to open the game without steam running. But I guess you can turn off auto update on steam and you'll be able to keep playing without it (you just won't get the bug fixes and such).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    I'd just like to add that the newest patch on Steam tied the .exe to the steam application so you won't be able to open the game without steam running. But I guess you can turn off auto update on steam and you'll be able to keep playing without it (you just won't get the bug fixes and such).
    Well... Darn.

Guild Wars 2 wouldn't benefit from this in the same way that WoW does. Guild Wars 2 is being built on the notion of exploration and community interaction. While WoW was like this, it faded away from that over the past few years due to lack of reward for exploring and flying mounts. Guild Wars 2 will always have reasons to leave the city, even beyond max levels, so I firmly believe that an LFD tool would only damage the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    Guild Wars 2 will always have reasons to leave the city, even beyond max levels, so I firmly believe that an LFD tool would only damage the game.
    Could you elaborate why? I mean, if there's a reason to leave the city wouldn't that make an even stronger case for an LFD tool than can be used anywhere? An LFD tool does in no way encourage people to stay in cities, so I don't see your point.

They could create an LFG tool that matches players up with groups on the same content you want to do: DEs, dungeons or quests.

EQ and Rift do this already. Say there is a tough quest/world boss or a zone event going, players can queue to join other players on that same tract. The function is the same as LFD. Though obviously no porting, tank/heal/dps checks or random bonus.

Granted nobody uses these tools in those games because MMOs are faceroll easy in the open world.

But let's suppose GW2's open world is a scarier place and DEs are constant/ongoing at least some where in the game world. Public grouping tools could be a nice system to slide into the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    They could create an LFG tool that matches players up with groups on the same content you want to do: DEs, dungeons or quests.

EQ and Rift do this already. Say there is a tough quest/world boss or a zone event going, players can queue to join other players on that same tract. The function is the same as LFD. Though obviously no porting, tank/heal/dps checks or random bonus.

Granted nobody uses these tools in those games because MMOs are faceroll easy in the open world.

But let's suppose GW2's open world is a scarier place and DEs are constant/ongoing at least some where in the game world. Public grouping tools could be a nice system to slide into the game.
    But since playing with other people does not require grouping in GW2, such tool might not be needed. While it may seem like going a step backwards to not have the tool, you can view it like this; If the game is created in a way to support spontaneous grouping, then the tool would be redundant, as groups would form naturally with no need for additional interface elements and instead focusing on the game itself.

This would require the world the be a lively place with lot's of players roaming about, but I'm just going to go with the assumption that it will be one.

While I wouldn't really have much against such a tool, I'd still want to spend as little time as possible on hanging in menu screens, as they tend to be somewhat immersion breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    But since playing with other people does not require grouping in GW2, such tool might not be needed. While it may seem like going a step backwards to not have the tool, you can view it like this; If the game is created in a way to support spontaneous grouping, then the tool would be redundant, as groups would form naturally with no need for additional interface elements and instead focusing on the game itself.

This would require the world the be a lively place with lot's of players roaming about, but I'm just going to go with the assumption that it will be one.

While I wouldn't really have much against such a tool, I'd still want to spend as little time as possible on hanging in menu screens, as they tend to be somewhat immersion breaking.
    Well, we don't know how these DEs will be yet on actual servers. So it could be that with instant travel you might want to figure out where the toughest DEs are happening at any given time Or just ones which are fun.

"Centaur Fields is under attack by Centaurs!"

If DEs scale as Anet claim, it could be a worthwhile challenge/fun factor in jumping into the DEs with the largest group of players. Or just some means to know where the action is at a glance.

At the very least, I expect a "Join Public Group" button when entering a DE zone ala Rift by the time GW2 hits shelves.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2011-11-23 at 09:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    one thing id like to point out is that people are usign the term "tool" to refer to the "queue" system wow currently has. a LFG tool doesnt have to be a queuing system and a "tool" could be nothing more than a chart showing who is interested in which dungeons and you need to manually contact them

we should be more specific when we say "i dont want a LFG tool" when we mean "i dont want an automatic queuing system"
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Yea, I don't mean a queue. More like a listing or representation of players in an area(s) to play alongside. Good point.

15+ Year Old Account
    we should be more specific when we say "i dont want a LFG tool" when we mean "i dont want an automatic queuing system"
    The title of this thread does say automated tool, so I'd say it's pretty clear what it is about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    The title of this thread does say automated tool, so I'd say it's pretty clear what it is about.
    the title does but the discussion that has gone on the last several pages is very ambiguous and the poll doesnt differentiate either the overall tone has felt like its either some kind of tool or no kind of tool
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

At the very least, I expect a "Join Public Group" button when entering a DE zone ala Rift by the time GW2 hits shelves.
    What do you mean by this? You don't need to be in a group to have the benefits of one. Only thing you need a group for are dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    What do you mean by this? You don't need to be in a group to have the benefits of one. Only thing you need a group for are dungeons.
    Need and want are different. I might want to join a small group of players out in the field.

Sure I can run about killing things or typing in /z (assuming), but I might want to hook up with the small party out by the tower or something.

Well Ok, I can see that but I don't see any kind of public group thing happening like they have in Rift or Warhammer.

Deleted
    Need and want are different. I might want to join a small group of players out in the field.

Sure I can run about killing things or typing in /z (assuming), but I might want to hook up with the small party out by the tower or something.
    I don't wanna sounds like a douche, but since forming a group would serve mostly a social purpose, then why not just form it yourself? You could say it's more work, but it's really not.

Ok, I guess the upside is that the people who'd be there would want to form a group. But it still wouldn't guarantee that the people would want to do the same thing as you. So you'd still need to ask them and they might say that they want to do something different. Which would be the same as without the list.

Not much harm, but not much gain either.