Poll: Read post

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's very important if these are people are into video games/RPG or not.

Pre-nerfed not a chance, current state i'd say 30% chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    for a totally new person to the game, it'll take 3 weeks to level up to 85 max, i could see them killing heroic ragnaros within 5 months.
    It doesn't take 3 weeks for a new player to get to 85 . It takes sooooo much more ..

OT : They should probably be able to do it .

Quote Originally Posted by pixxel View Post
    Why take 28 people instead of 25 then?
    Backup. We take people from the street randomly.
    Some people are REALLY BAD in playing games. They don't have necessary reaction, spatial imagination, they can't play at all. And they will never be able to learn.
    Don't forget that there will be 12-13 women most likely.
    THere is chance that some of them will not even know how to use computer, because they never did it before. And most likely at least half of them never played computer games before.
    People who come to World of Warcraft in real world have at least some experience in computer games. But average people do not.

IMO, they will have to kill it with 22-23 players because at least 5 of them either will not be able to play wow at all, or will not be able to handle boss mechanics, so it will be better to go without them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Backup. We take people from the street randomly.
    Some people are REALLY BAD in playing games. They don't have necessary reaction, spatial imagination, they can't play at all. And they will never be able to learn.
    THere is chance that some of them will not even know how to use computer, because they never did it before. And most likely at least half of them never played computer games before.
    People who come to World of Warcraft in real world have at least some experience in computer games. But average people do not.

IMO, they will have to kill it with 22-23 players because at least 5 of them either will not be able to play wow at all, or will not be able to handle boss mechanics, so it will be better to go without them.
    Okay than absolutly not.

If you take random people from the street there is not way.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A total new player can get a lvl 85 in about 1 week, so the lvl up is not a problem. Give them 1 month to learn their classes and another two months to properly play their class and gear up. After that they have the rest of the year to learn ONE fight... is not like we couldn't lay wihtout ptr , youtube or videos. In fact, it would be much better.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think there is a higher risk of going insain. 1 year without anyone but those 27 other people? No communication with the outside world?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    A total new player can get a lvl 85 in about 1 week, so the lvl up is not a problem.
    Your average random person from the street will need ages to get to lvl 85.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    even a really bad player could level up to level 85 in a month. So say 11 months of doing nothing else all day but learning your class and trial and error? yea that 3 million would be in the bag.
    I'm a reasonably intelligent person, and I had been playing for almost a year already before I even learned that not having the slightest fucking clue what you were doing in game was a thing that existed. And that was only because someone who already knew told me. It took me three months to level my first character to 70 in BC.

Ignorance is not self-correcting. Putting 28 ignorant people in a room together doesn't make them stop being ignorant, it makes them 28 times more ignorant than they'd be by themselves. I think that pretty much everyone who answered "yes, it'd be trivial" are erroneously projecting their own knowledge-state onto people who don't share it. Assuming that everyone knows what you know is a natural human instinct, but it's a difficult illusion to maintain once you actually start objectively examining the part of reality that exists outside of your own cranium.
    Last edited by microtonal; 2011-11-19 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    A total new player can get a lvl 85 in about 1 week, so the lvl up is not a problem. Give them 1 month to learn their classes and another two months to properly play their class and gear up. After that they have the rest of the year to learn ONE fight... is not like we couldn't lay wihtout ptr , youtube or videos. In fact, it would be much better.
    Explain how you learn your class in one month with just a computer running stock WoW? Also, explain how they miraculously decided to level up a appropriate classes on the first go.

Again, you're missing the scale of the difficulty here.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    It's very important if these are people are into video games/RPG or not.
    They are random people from the street. There is chance that some of them have some RPG experience(but not WoW experience). But there is even bigger chance that at least half of them never played any game before.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Best players in the world are experts in theory crafting and/or have access to it. Whether or not the players succeeded would depend on the group's composition. If they were like me, they'd never make it. Never ever never ever. I've played WoW since BC and depend upon others to do the math for me, and I don't know what I'd do without DBM or GTFO--well, I could live w/o GTFO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by microtonal View Post
    Path of least resistance. Applies to human psychology just as much as it does to the movements of electrons.

Being "fairly intelligent", as if that were a meaningful description of anything, is not a guarantee that you will be able to figure out this specific thing.
    By 'fairly intelligent' I mean rational, logical persons with the ability to solve puzzles using their own and each others knowledge combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdream View Post
    Not to NEARLY the same extent, there's simply no way they'll be able to maximise what they do without those tools, they don't even have a dps meter for comparison!

Also, good luck to the guy calling out when the seeds land in heroic without any timer mods, I fear for your heart.
    I'd imagine the time it takes to kill x (or even whether they can kill x) should work fine as a simple dps meter (in that everyone is doing enough dps). You will certainly have a lot of difficultly, but on the other hand if we're talking about WoW exactly as it is now and these people very carefully follow the storyline (therefore determining what raids to start with, etc.) I think they'll start to understand just by following the way in which gear upgrades through raid to raid what they need.

I'm not saying it's easy and it's damn right impossible for a lot of the players I've met, but I can't see a reason why a bunch of educated, logical people with literally nothing else to do couldn't figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    What does that have to do with anything?

Also you'd be more likely to find 'smart and educated' 25-35 year olds that can't use a computer rather than ones that can.
    Last edited by mmocca1d2456eb; 2011-11-19 at 06:58 PM.

Deleted
    I'd say they would be able to do it in 2 years.

Completely new to wow, that means they will not have any heirlooms, guild perks, there will be that "wow, look at this and look at that, lets do this and that" feeling + noob factor.
    I'd say it would take them 2-3 months to level up to 85.

-They would have to discover what each profession can do, as there isn't internet to guide them.

-Learning to dps effectively can and will take some time. Again there isn't any elitist jerks to guide them, they won't know what not to use etc.

-Then they would have to discover what each boss does, all the way from Grand Vizier Ertan to hc Ragnaros.
    Again because there is no tankspot videos and dungeon journal isn't that helpful in the end,
    and because of the lack of internet they will not have any addons (especially deadly boss mods) to guide them.

It's not like they instantly reach 85 and be geared enough for hc rag and know tactics.
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2011-11-19 at 06:03 PM.

would they have addons?

How smart and are they video game fans at all?

A year is a long time, and if they're doing nothing but playing wow for an entire year, I don't see how they couldn't do it. They'll all be living and breathing wow for a year, thats a lot of time to try different things, learn their classes to the max, get fully best in slot geared, and find ways to do rag.

And no, it wouldn't take them 2-3 months to get to 85. You forget that they are doing nothing but playing WoW and sleeping/eating. It would take a month, tops.

Your poll sucks. Nothing in your hypothetical situation has to do with wow being easy. Offer someone huge sums of money and they'll accomplish things much more difficult then killing virtual heroic bosses. They will come out of your experiment and teach YOU how to play wow.

You said the people are smart, so this is a trick question, because they would refuse to play wow, even for that much money.

Possibly the stupidest way to grade a games difficulty ever - a hypothetical question, with a hundred variables... this whole thread is beyond pointless :<

Deleted
    A year takes the challenge away, 3-5months would be a challenge.

Raiding is not a hard thing to do when you have people who are "smart and educated enough" Not everyone who plays researchs everything, that doesn't make them bad players, i've never followed a guideline how to play my class, I learnt myself aswell as the people I also play with.

Taking the internet away aswell as everything for people in this challenge, is only removing shortcuts they could take, doesn't make the game anymore difficult. Offering that amount of money as well, is only ensuring they are going to be dedicated to completing the task.

Now if it was 25 people, just simply doing a "test" the results would be very different.

Deleted
    I am preaty sure they could manage.