Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

FPS issues? How? :o

Im in Grizzly Hills, flying, and I notice that something is dragging my screen, just to notice that Im running at 30fps.
    I also noticed that this only happens while I see the sky, Im at 60 FPS when facing the ground.
    How is that possible, with my system? I thought that by OCing my CPU, these things won't happen.
    i7 2600k, OC to 4.8GHz, AMD Radeon 6970 2GB RAM.

Deleted
    I've got a 6970 too (mobile version), they're pretty good cards.

You probably have vertical sync enabled which sync your fps to all or part of your screen's refresh rate (60 fps at best with a 60Mhz refresh rate, as soon as your card can't handle that it ducks to 30, then 15, etc). It also makes sure that only fully drawn frames are shown on your screen by allowing frames to be drawn in the background, so that you never see overlapping images or 'screen tearing'.

Tl;dr: As soon as your fps would hit, say, 58, it will fall back to 30 so it stays in sync. Lowering a few settings just slightly should keep it on 60 at all times. If you don't notice a great difference without vertical sync though, you can leave it disabled.

Deleted
    Hmm Vsing only gives me like 5fps. Same with enabling proper Fullscreen.
    I bought this spec to be sure I can play max fps at max details though

---------- Post added 2011-11-19 at 01:25 AM ----------

Tried disabling VSinc in my driver as well, didn't help though

---------- Post added 2011-11-19 at 01:27 AM ----------

with it disabled, my fps goes up to 100 as well, but that when facing the ground
    I wonder what spec is Blizzard using, when designing games, if this won't suffice

Deleted
    Plus that I don;t have this problem while in FL, raiding with 24 more ppl...

Deleted
    with that specc you should have no problem with wow what so ever, especially with that oc cpu, i run same cpu not oc tho and never go under 55 fps in firelands 25 man anywere in there, or anywere else like orgrimmar etc, so something most be wrong with settings, if u get 60 fps everywere else with vsync on and 30 sometimes in air then its not vsync, seems u cap 60 cause maybe 60hz screen? dno why u get 30fps tho

Deleted
    53 fps while flying in Dragonblight

---------- Post added 2011-11-19 at 01:35 AM ----------

Maby its the fact that the CPU goes to 1600 MHz when there isnt high pressure on it? Anybody knows how to disable that? I looked under Power management, but couldnt find the setting for that (its already set to always run at 100%).

---------- Post added 2011-11-19 at 01:38 AM ----------

Oh another update: it runs at 101 fps when facing only the sky as well, so it has to be the horizon...?

Deleted
    no clue mate dno if u can run 100% all the time, isnt that killing cpu rly fast in the lenght?

Deleted
    I did try to lower the view distance, but that didn't seem to help, btw

---------- Post added 2011-11-19 at 01:40 AM ----------

I dont know, thats what I heard people are using...

Deleted
    hopefully some one will tell u whats wrong because with your specc, tbh its rly overkill for wow so shouldnt have those issues, maybe ur just bugged dno i use 2600k cpu with gtx 560 card also not clocked and max wow settings even AA etc etc no p

Quote Originally Posted by Dangel7 View Post
    Im in Grizzly Hills, flying, and I notice that something is dragging my screen, just to notice that Im running at 30fps.
    I also noticed that this only happens while I see the sky, Im at 60 FPS when facing the ground.
    How is that possible, with my system? I thought that by OCing my CPU, these things won't happen.
    i7 2600k, OC to 4.8GHz, AMD Radeon 6970 2GB RAM.
    Provide temperatures? And no offense, but it doesn't sound like you're uber tech savvy. I'm curious as to how you got your i7 2600k up to 4.8. Are you using an aftermarket cooler? Did you properly change the voltages? If you didn't do both, you may be having overheating problems.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Provide temperatures? And no offense, but it doesn't sound like you're uber tech savvy. I'm curious as to how you got your i7 2600k up to 4.8. Are you using an aftermarket cooler? Did you properly change the voltages? If you didn't do both, you may be having overheating problems.
    Hmm I don't recall saying anywhere that I am a computer savvy, I just found it strange that this thing happens, while in Icecrown, Dalaran, Firelands Im having 60fps (with vsinc enabled).
    But yes, I did build this computer, and I also did overclock it.
    I readed a lot about how to things, since I couldn't had done it without that, but since there are no threads about this issue, I addressed it myself.

Anyway, about your questions, I'm running 1.345V, with a Noctua NH-D14 cooler. This is the CPU temperature I'm getting in dalaran: 41/43/44/37. Temperatures are about the same in Zul Drak. GPU activity is 98% here, and its temperature hits 76 degrees. The FPS here is around 55.
    Back to Grizzly hills again, the GPU usage is 98-99%, CPU temp is 40/38/39/39, and the FPS goes as low as 30.

Deleted
    Sounds like dodgy addons to me, delete your WTF and cache and re-install your addons one by one to find the culprit (usually recount or archeology addons for me.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    Sounds like dodgy addons to me, delete your WTF and cache and re-install your addons one by one to find the culprit (usually recount or archeology addons for me.)
    Yeah I would blame the addons too, if this would happen in FL while raiding, but since it only happens in Grizzly Hills (mostly), I doubt its the addons.
    I am using my own customised settings for addons (no pack), so reconfiguring everything would take up hours.

Deleted
    Did you actually test your overclock properly with Prime or ITB? An unstable overclock might be the cause of this. Your GPU activity is to high to tho, did you try reinstalling the drivers, I have a 6870 and all settings on max in WoW and I never get above 50 % GPU usage. What resolution are you playing on?

Edit: Did you turn off your turbo core in the bios?
    Last edited by mmoc4b25e70ff5; 2011-11-19 at 12:25 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, I performed a test with Prime. As for the drivers, I just updated it to the latest driver about a week ago.

Edit: resolution is 1920x1080 and byturbo core you mean the option that lets you auto overclock your CPU?

---------- Post added 2011-11-19 at 02:47 PM ----------

I cant test things right now byw, as Im at work now.
    Last edited by mmoc7ef033c699; 2011-11-19 at 12:35 PM.

Yeah I would blame the addons too, if this would happen in FL while raiding, but since it only happens in Grizzly Hills (mostly), I doubt its the addons.
    I am using my own customised settings for addons (no pack), so reconfiguring everything would take up hours.
    just save your WTF folder somewhere (backup it) and then delete the original + cache folder +addon folder, then reinstall each addon one by one (by saving WTF you save ALL your addons settings), So when you install and addon you can go pick this addon file into your WTF backup and put it into the good directory file in the new WTF folder that the game will create. You should be able to find if its an addon or something else.

And if Vsync isnt enable it is possible that the GPU works at 98% (to give you the max fps for example) I personally enable Vsync because my refresh rate is at 60Hz so any fps above 60 is just wasted imo (thus makin the card work harder for absolutely no reason).

---------- Post added 2011-11-19 at 08:18 AM ----------

Yes, I performed a test with Prime. As for the drivers, I just updated it to the latest driver about a week ago.

Edit: resolution is 1920x1080 and byturbo core you mean the option that lets you auto overclock your CPU?

---------- Post added 2011-11-19 at 02:47 PM ----------

I cant test things right now byw, as Im at work now.
    What kind of test? normal blend, custom blend, small fft or large, and more important how long ?

Deleted
    Performed blend test for 2 hours

Edit: normal

I also have the hyperthreading disabled, so I ran 4 torture threads
    Last edited by mmoc7ef033c699; 2011-11-19 at 01:43 PM.

Deleted
    Try blend testing for 8 hours or so and 20 x ITB to be sure. By turbo core I mean the autoclock function your CPU has, you can turn it off in the bios. Your turbo clock goes to 3.8 ghz when its needed, so that would fuck around with your OC quite bad.

Alltho I still think its cause of your video card drivers, its just not right that its using 98 % of your gpu. Do you have good airflow?

Deleted
    While I do agree that the usage is quite high for wow, I could say the airflow is good since the temp only reaches 76 degrees. Using a HAF 932 case as well.
    I will check the CPU Turbo and the GPU driver settings as soon as I get home.
    BF3 also reaches 99% usage on max detail though and it runs smooth (but ye, thats BF3 )

---------- Post added 2011-11-19 at 11:02 PM ----------

Actually I suggest you guys to come over to Grizzly Hills, and see that your FPS might drop as well.
    I had friends with i5 processors come here, and they dropped to 45 fps, while their settings were set on High.
    Mine is on Ultra and beyond (see the sticky on this forum).
    It has to do with all the trees around here, or otherwise I really can't explain myself how FL and SW is fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
    I've got a 6970 too (mobile version), they're pretty good cards.

You probably have vertical sync enabled which sync your fps to all or part of your screen's refresh rate (60 fps at best with a 60Mhz refresh rate, as soon as your card can't handle that it ducks to 30, then 15, etc). It also makes sure that only fully drawn frames are shown on your screen by allowing frames to be drawn in the background, so that you never see overlapping images or 'screen tearing'.

Tl;dr: As soon as your fps would hit, say, 58, it will fall back to 30 so it stays in sync. Lowering a few settings just slightly should keep it on 60 at all times. If you don't notice a great difference without vertical sync though, you can leave it disabled.
    huh? Vsync will ONLY cap at 60. I get lower then 60 FPS in orgr, with Vsync anabled, and it varies from 30-60, never capping at 30

Actually I suggest you guys to come over to Grizzly Hills, and see that your FPS might drop as well.
    I had friends with i5 processors come here, and they dropped to 45 fps, while their settings were set on High.
    Mine is on Ultra and beyond (see the sticky on this forum).
    It has to do with all the trees around here, or otherwise I really can't explain myself how FL and SW is fine.

Then you should have it in dragonblight as well, not to mention Elwynn and other places with a lot of foilage...
    Last edited by mmoc8f46f67acf; 2011-11-19 at 09:55 PM.