Computer wont turn on :(?

I had like a 4 year old computer was pushing it for WoW no raids or anything just dungeons and i was doing the desert place dungeon which i get really bad FPS on to begin with around 10 all the other dungeons i get 20-25 but was doing a boss and my computer just turns off INSANTLY so im like ??? i go to turn it on and all i see is the power light flashing on and off.

I whip open the case to see what happens and i smell something like kinda burnt? I never like opened the case and smelled it..but i'm sure its not supposed to smell like that so i touch the CPU cooler and its pretty hot...let the PC cool for about 10minutes and it doesnt turn on and light just keeps flashing. Tried holding down power button to turn off the computer then restarting but nothing also tried reconnecting and connecting the power cable.

Do you guys think this a CPU or Mobo problem?

Deleted
    Put magnets in the cd drive, it should fix it, if it dosent fix it, take out your harddrive and put some magnets on it.

* User was infracted for trolling: Listening to his advice is a good way to damage your computer.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-11-22 at 08:28 AM.

You are probable sol. i had the same problem a few years ago but i dont remember anything burning. the power light would turn on and sometimes it would start if i keep turning it on and off. finally it wouldnt turn on and none of the fixes i tryed worked, so it had to be a power supply, cpu or something else i forget. those were the only 3 things i couldnt change to test it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantheal View Post
    I on occasion take a dump in the shower so I don't have to wipe but never pee in there. That is just gross!

Sounds like it is most likely a CPU issue.

@Lazyeye

no need to be an ass dude.

OT: Sounds like something got fried, imo i think it could be either the power supply or the cpu/mobo.

If something still smells like it's burning can you tell where it's coming from?

It could very well be either the CPU or Motherboard but I'd also consider the PSU as culprit.

Deleted
    yeah, 99% of the time it`s the psu mate, i would go down that avenue first to be honest. If you know someone that good with electronics you could remove the psu and get them to test the output from the psu and then you would know for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyeye View Post
    Put magnets in the cd drive, it should fix it, if it dosent fix it, take out your harddrive and put some magnets on it.
    /facepalm

My PSU recently just crapped out. If you have friends with computers that know how to tinker with them, you may want to ask for their help. Also, check all your cables to make sure that they are intact, my friend did not even notice that the plastic of one of my cables was scorched until I pointed it out to him.

Should be a CPU issue. You'd better go to ask a professional people to fix it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    And i'm just waiting for the forum moderators to mess with the second poster...

Honestly, its very possible the CPU is fried. If you have another CPU that will fit into that motherboard socket type, i'd try that (doubtful since even I don't have a replacement for my i7). You could also reset the bios and see if that changes things.

By "light just keeps flashing" and "it doesn't turn on", do you mean that you get no activity from the fans/power supply? If so, then its pretty safe to assume that there is something wrong with the motherboard and/or processor.

Usually processors and motherboards have a built-in failsafe against extreme heat so that it won't cause a core melt-down. Not saying its fool-proof, but it usually kicks in. I remember with my old AMD 64 X2, my watercooling pump wasn't kicking in so the system would shut down constantly. Didn't figure it out until I felt the heatsink which was boiling hott. Beat the living crap out of my pump until it finally whined back to life.
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

Was the casing hot? Not to state the obvious but maybe its time to invest a few hundred bucks and get a nice acfordable laptop to replace it.

Thanks for the responses, i'm really not going to get it fixed if its a part problem becasuse i'm buying a new computer fairly soon anyway! I will get it checked out though just incase its something minor i was planning on buying a new computer around Christmas to save some money but looks like ill be buying it sooner

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 08:48 AM ----------

A laptop is what im using right now, i really dont like them for gaming because i play more then the average player and this laptop has overheating problems i cant play wow for 10minutes without it burning up