Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Question What classifies you as a vanilla player?

Hi.

I was just wondering what it is that classifies you as a vanilla player? I've been wondering about this for some time when being online on WoW. Did you have to start playing WoW from the beginning? Or started in the middle of vanilla? Or just being online the day before TBC release? Cleared all vanilla raid contents? PvPed to the max title level, rank 14?

What is it that makes you a vanilla player?

I did some PvP on my priest in ''vanilla'' I reached Senior Sergeant, am I a vanilla player in your eyes or just, no?

Deleted
    I think you just have to of experienced what vanilla had to offer

If you played vanilla enough to see the differences of what it is like now you are a vanilla player in my book.

Reaching 60 before naxx, or playing since the first few patches, since it was an entirely different game back then - time commitment wise. Essentially it, to me, is playing long enough during that time frame that you can relate and remember the context it is being referenced in.
    Highly skilled sharpshooter, effective against air units. Can gain the Long Rifles upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Infused123 View Post
    I think you just have to of experienced what vanilla had to offer
    this indeed, if you played in vanilla you can call yourself a vanilla player.
    on the other hand, if all you did was PVP you can't really say anything about PVE content during vanilla, and the other way around. so it still depends on how long you played it and the amount of experience you had. but generally if you played during beta/vanilla you can call yourself a vanilla player

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say playing before the "Before the storm" patch in december 2005.

Deleted
    I'm very unsure where I started to play to be honest. I never raided in vanilla, I had never stepped into a raid instance in vanilla. The only thing I did was questing, and PvP/world PvP, I don't even think I reached 60 before the end of vanilla.

Might been around level 53 - 54 when TBC came out.

I started playing a couple of months after launch, and I had two level 60s before BC. I raided up to mid-Naxx level.

I consider myself a vanilla player, but I don't run any kind of 'reference check' on anyone who wants to also consider themselves that. For me it's simply, 'Did you log in for the first time prior to Burning Crusade and play for any length of time?' I don't even ask them that, if someone tells me they're vanilla, I'm just like 'Oh cool, do you remember when xy and zy? And blah blah blah?' I just enjoy meeting players who also have played for a similar duration as me, and reflecting on the old times.

It also depends on what the person is trying to say/do. If they're trying to claim they're some kind of expert on the HWL grind, but never tried it or got close, well, why are they offering their opinion? If they're trying to comment on vanilla PVE, but never set foot in MC or beyond, then again, why?
    Originally Posted by Tseric
    When you can understand how a group of belligerent and angry posters can drive away people from this game with an uncrafted and improvisational campaign of misery and spin-doctoring, then perhaps, you can understand the decisions I make.

Vanilla player if you started before TBC. That is all it takes to be a 'Vanilla player'. Were you a hardcore raider? Did you PvP much? Were you just looking for completing all the quests? Were you just roleplaying? Did you just enjoy riding your mount after you finally got your best land mount? Those are different questions. All that however, was in Vanilla, so it is a Vanilla player, quite obviously.

However, keep in mind that stating one is a Vanilla player is like such player was a god, that his opinion is better than yours in every respect! I started a little before the AQ raids were implemented. That makes me quite a lot better and superior to every WoW player that started playing after that. That also means that whenever I say anything, it is never opinionated, it is just a fact that I am stating because I know better.

That is why everybody and their dogs started playing in Vanilla, whenever a question like that is asked. It always makes me laugh a bit

If you played vanilla?

Playing before The Burning Crusade expansion.

Anyone who played in vanilla is a vanilla player

10+ Year Old Account
    i started back in vanilla with a trial account and i think the farthest i got before BC came out when i actually got the game was like level 20 or something so i guess you can call me a vanilla player since i did play WoW in vanilla days.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2011-11-23 at 12:41 AM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Have summoned Ivus, the Forest Lord

---------- Post added 2011-11-23 at 12:40 AM ----------

Have walked all around the world for 40 levels

Meh I'm a vanilla player but i missed the first year of WoW. I consider anyone that played wow before TBC to be a vanilla player

Have gone to BRD to get fire resistance gear for molten core

You are a Vanilla player if you've spent five minutes playing with the camera trying to loot a corpse underneath another corpse.

My druid has the "Private" title. Not much but it shows that I played before 2.0.1 hit. (or w/e the preBC patch was called)
    I registered on MMO-Champion and all I got was this lousy signature.

I'm a cynic. Deal with it!

Been playing since the stress test beta for Vanilla WoW, I miss those days.