Thread: The SWTOR site

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The SWTOR site

This isn't a "I'm complaining because I can't gain access to the site because it's busy thread." I'm actually genuinely concerned about how well they're going to be able to handle the traffic when the game goes live. Currently, the site is sluggish and unresponsive, because tens of thousands of people are trying to log in and confirm beta access for this weekend. I've tried in vain to just set my security questions so I can start downloading the client for half an hour now. What's it going to be like when upwards of a hundred thousand people are trying to log in at any given moment? I really hope they fortify their hardware.

Don't worry about it, different hardware set up for different purposes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, I should clarify. I don't mean logging into the game, I mean the site. For account related issues, like, for example, getting set up so you can actually play.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't get what you're asking. Why is a website slow then hundreds of thousands of people are on it, all trying to do the exact same things? o.0 Really?

The game will have plenty of technical issues. I say this with a high degree of confidence, and base this idea on reality (I had written a longer explanation, and decided to just keep it short and accurate).

I fortify this belief with the fact that when I was a kid, buying a sports game for my console and having it say "EA Sports, it's in the game!" was a way I could be sure this game was going to be awesome. When I think about those days, I get a feeling of nostalgia ... not trust and consistency.

(edit: I'm aware of EA's involvement. I'm also aware of their influence.)

This weekend I'm putting on my tinfoil hat and Jedi robe, hoping for the best.
    Last edited by Goosfraba; 2011-11-22 at 02:54 PM. Reason: because I do what I want and you don't own me.

In all honesty, it's going to be a non-factor in the grand scheme of things.

You're talking about an extreme circumstance where many, many people are trying to access the same location on the site at the same time. On any other day, a normal day as we'll dub it, the site will run perfectly fine. You also have to take into consideration that this wave of beta invites was to stress test the servers. It's probably safe to assume that they are making changes to the game servers, and site, to accommodate the influx of people now and in the future.

Long story short; it's still beta. They have to work things out so that it can handle the amount of people a live environment will provide.

For the past week or so, the site has been going down frequently for maintenance to prepare for when activity goes sky high.

When the BETA first came out to accept. It was Sunday Night I believe, everyone was double checking the testing and clicking accept. Now imagine that they are "stress testing" this event. They are massively inviting anyone who had created an account on their site before Nov 11 I believe. SWTOR has around 600k pre order's. I do not know the exact figure. So imagine a million or more people on the site. -It's flooded with traffic-everyone is doing the exact same thing. You have to give it time for it to slow down.

I got my beta email this morning asking me to respond which it did let me and accepted me but i cannot get on the test page nor get anywhere near to downloading the client because the site is down, but it did say that in the email that it was going to be down ,

Please note that SWTOR.com will be undergoing maintenance from 6:00 PM CST on Monday, 11/21 until 6:00 AM CST on Tuesday, 11/22. During that time, you will not be able to visit the Game Tester Portal to accept your invitation. Please visit the website before or after this window to accept your invitation, and thank you for your understanding!

not sure on the time thing though as i live in UK.
    I guess ill be able to play it this weekend as it said the next email they send will give me the date and time i can log on.
    So hopefully i can get it all d/l this week lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungRider View Post
    When the BETA first came out to accept. It was Sunday Night I believe, everyone was double checking the testing and clicking accept. Now imagine that they are "stress testing" this event. They are massively inviting anyone who had created an account on their site before Nov 11 I believe. SWTOR has around 600k pre order's. I do not know the exact figure. So imagine a million or more people on the site. -It's flooded with traffic-everyone is doing the exact same thing. You have to give it time for it to slow down.
    865,669 pre-orders as of last week (physical copies only)

Deleted
    ye cant connect to site but np did it already so , but but! they should buy some servers from wow i mean come say there server is "dead" and blizz servers are "pretty" steady xD

I get what the OP is trying to say... his question is if the website is this bogged down over a few hundred thousand beta invites, what is it going to do when the game launches and 10 times that number are trying to activate their newly purchased game at the same time? I share your hope that they are paying attention to this and act accordingly. I know their intent with all the beta keys recently is to stress the servers, I just hope that they monitor stress on the website and not just the game servers.

Web servers != Game servers.

Actually, I have a little bit of a different take on it. Since yesterday, I've kind of chuckled to myself over the Tor site's performance. Its poor at the moment because they weren't prepared for the load but they're a large enough company to make the necessary adjustments quickly. Hell, wow's site AND game servers were almost unusable for a while; they released numerous interviews talking about how they couldn't have expected the number of users they got early on.

Same thing is happening here. I smile because I kind of think to myself, "welcome to the club, Bioware." Not that I play any integral part in the industry, but I find it exciting to see a new player in the market. That, and I'm an IT server engineer and I can imagine the pressure their server team is under right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungRider View Post
    Yes but the same thing will happen when the game is released and they're going to have a lot of pissed off players, myself included.

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Same thing happens when you try to copy a character in WoW PTR. Estimated wait: 8 days
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    I still don't get what you're asking. Why is a website slow then hundreds of thousands of people are on it, all trying to do the exact same things? o.0 Really?
    I don't like your tone. What I'm saying is, they had better learn from this stress testing weekend and realize that they need to make sure their site can handle the massive amount of traffic that's going to be inbound.

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 10:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoneum View Post
    I get what the OP is trying to say... his question is if the website is this bogged down over a few hundred thousand beta invites, what is it going to do when the game launches and 10 times that number are trying to activate their newly purchased game at the same time? I share your hope that they are paying attention to this and act accordingly. I know their intent with all the beta keys recently is to stress the servers, I just hope that they monitor stress on the website and not just the game servers.
    YES, THANK YOU. This is exactly what I"m saying, how is everyone else not getting that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    Not once in the entire time of WoW has Blizzard's site had as much trouble as they're having...just saying.

Deleted

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    865,669 pre-orders as of last week (physical copies only)
    US only, we dont know the numbers for the rest of the world, I can surely say we are gonna hit atleast the 2m preordermark in the whole world later in dec

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaldreno View Post
    I don't like your tone. What I'm saying is, they had better learn from this stress testing weekend and realize that they need to make sure their site can handle the massive amount of traffic that's going to be inbound.

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 10:10 AM ----------

YES, THANK YOU. This is exactly what I"m saying, how is everyone else not getting that?
    Why? The "massive" amount of traffic is going to happen all of twice. Once this week (it's happening right now) and once at launch. No point in buying a second server for 4-5 total days of high traffic. After those time it'll never happen again.

I understand exactly what you were saying. In my eyes it's just not an issue. This is what stress testing is for. We didn't need an entire thread about it, that's all I'm saying.

So much impatience, the sky is falling, omg, everybody is incompetent. Relax, they will figure it out. Everybody wants zero defects in everything they do. That's not reality.