Thread: Stupid Problem

Stupid Problem

I remapped my caps lock key via the built-in windows application so I could use it as my ventrilo key without constantly turning caps lock on and off. Today when I tried to log into my computer, caps lock is randomly on and I cannot login to my Windows account.

Every keyboard I plug into it has caps lock on, so I'm stuck.

Is there a hotkey to enable / disable caps lock? Anything? This is the most ridiculous problem I've ever had with a Windows machine.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Can you not bypass it with safe mode?

If you hold shift it reverses caps lock. Shift with caps lock off capitalizes letters, shift with caps lock on makes them lowercase.
    Last edited by Arcilux; 2011-12-01 at 04:05 AM.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    This is the most ridiculous problem I've ever had with a Windows machine.
    I say, that is pretty awkward. What I don't understand is how this built-in windows application is taking effect before you have even logged on? It shouldn't even be running.

Try what Chaud said, and if that doesn't work then your next resort would be to find your OS disc and use it to system-restore to a point before you installed that evil caps application. Read more here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940765

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    If you hold shift it reverses caps lock. Shift with caps lock off capitalizes letters, shift with caps lock off makes them lowercase.
    *facepalm* ^ That's what I get for overthinking things. Try this first.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately shift wasn't reversing it for whatever reason. I had to go to my parent's house and use a ps/2 keyboard.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Using a different keyboard helped?
    I'm confused now... thought this was a "Software problem"

Yeah, I have no idea. I figured it was worth a shot before formatting over 200 gigs of installed games.

The PS/2 keyboard was still stuck in caps lock, but it let me use the shift key to turn the password into the correct letter case.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need to format it... just install a multi boot for windows, then change/delete the settings for your exisiting windows. when your all done delete the now unused windows.
    (just try not to install 2 versions of the same OS else you'll get confused about which one to boot and which one to delete.)
    It's a little long winded... but should get the job done, assuming you can find out what/how the settings actually change.)

(I'd opt for this route, failing that you can always just install windows "ontop" of windows. and just risk loosing your Library folders (Documents, Music, Videos etc...) Rather than loose everything
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-12-01 at 07:30 AM.

I thought about doing that, only difference being using a Linux distro instead. It wouldn't work though since my disk imaging (for backups) wouldn't have played nicely with new partitions. If I ever went to reimage my drive, it wouldn't work. I'd have to reformat anyway.

It's all good though, I'm back in and everything is working properly.

build pics