Ret Paladin's That PvP with PvE Tier 2-Set Bonus?

I have every intention of getting the 2 set piece from the PvE tier and gem them with alot of Resi to make up for the lost 2 peice resi gear from the PvP set. But Having holy power generated from judgement is totally worth it. I've only got one peice from the pve tier so far so still working for the 2nd one.

Just wanted to know how it is with any Ret that already has the two set piece and using it in mix with their pvp gear how is it so far?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinalc0rd View Post
    I have every intention of getting the 2 set piece from the PvE tier and gem them with alot of Resi to make up for the lost 2 peice resi gear from the PvP set. But Having holy power generated from judgement is totally worth it. I've only got one peice from the pve tier so far so still working for the 2nd one.

Just wanted to know how it is with any Ret that already has the two set piece and using it in mix with their pvp gear how is it so far?
    Depends on the rating really, I run with 2PC + Creche all the time but have yet to push into arena this tier as I'm sick of casters ruining my fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Personally I prefer always using the 2p in arena, but Vanguards said on his stream the other day that he goes full PvP gear if he's playing a comp where his healing is not as needed, like when he plays 3s with Dpriest and Unh DK. You will often find yourself as the nuke target as Ret so you will end up needing that resilience. If he's right then you'd pretty much never want the 2p when running a comp with a healer on your side.

I use 2pc and 4300 resil and I'd say I've done decent this season. Because honestly I don't feel like the extra 3% dmg reduction I'd get from wearing 5/5 pvp makes up for how amazing that HP from judge is. Of course I also played ret/mage/disc (Around 2380-2400 mmr) and people would rather train the mage then me cause lol @ 40k frostbolts.

Jimos already does this, and his rating suggest he's pulling it off fairly well.

You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helsreach View Post
    Jimos already does this, and his rating suggest he's pulling it off fairly well.
    We are talking about someone with full 403 pvp gear and 410+ pve gear, it's not like he has 397 ilvl as 2 parts, he even have Gurthalak HC, so expect him to cut everything he meets in two.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most ive seen are using Chest and Legs Tier 13 for some BG fun

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalarius View Post
    We are talking about someone with full 403 pvp gear and 410+ pve gear, it's not like he has 397 ilvl as 2 parts, he even have Gurthalak HC, so expect him to cut everything he meets in two.
    Not to mention that he is playing a triple dps zerg comp. Obviously, when you're just blowing all CDs and nuke something down asap the extra damage the pve pieces provide is beneficial even if they don't happen to be heroic mode ones.

The 2p is more used for utility than burst damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    I wasn't really talking about the bonus alone, all of the pieces provide more offensive power than the PvP equivalents do.

Works great for both, IMO. It's really good against healer-heavy random battleground groups.

It's a 3-4% damage reduction loss (if you are running PvP gear in every slot) to drop down to 2pc PvE, but once you get used to Judgement granting holy power it's hard to go back to 5pc PvP.

Depends on setup, but once you've full cataclysmic gear i think using 2xpve is a nobrainer as you're loosing few percent of mitigation for nearly doubling your HP generation outside of cd's. If you've access to heroic pve set that's even more reason to switch to it. Nevertheless Vanguards indeed shows that it isn't mandatory for high tier play.

Thanks guys. This is great to know. Right now im farming like mad to get my 2nd piece. Im 4/5 Cata PvP geared atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaldee View Post
    Depends on setup, but once you've full cataclysmic gear i think using 2xpve is a nobrainer as you're loosing few percent of mitigation for nearly doubling your HP generation outside of cd's. If you've access to heroic pve set that's even more reason to switch to it. Nevertheless Vanguards indeed shows that it isn't mandatory for high tier play.
    As already mentioned Vanguards doesn't use it when he's playing his main setup red/dk/priest.

As already mentioned Vanguards doesn't use it when he's playing his main setup red/dk/priest.
    I think him playing without 2pc was more for practice for NAO where he couldn't use it. Why practice for something with a crutch you can't use? Plus it's ret/dk you can't really survive that against a DK that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Swolfzz View Post
    I think him playing without 2pc was more for practice for NAO where he couldn't use it. Why practice for something with a crutch you can't use? Plus it's ret/dk you can't really survive that against a DK that good.
    He said on his stream that he goes for full resi if he's playing 2xdps+healer.

He said on his stream that he goes for full resi if he's playing 2xdps+healer.
    This is likely because it effectively cuts Word of Glory healing by 1/3 (or more depending on the class/spec you're healing). That and other DPS usually aren't as squishy.

Well, Rets are one of the "squishiest" classes after bubble so it makes a lot of sense to rather go full PvP gear if you're running with a healer and I can see why Vanguards doesn't like the PvE 2-piece since he's usually the one going down first in his team.

Personally, I'm never going to drop the 2-piece because I just don't have the patience to run a comp with healer this season with so many classes (especially priests) countering us so hard. Vanguards is obviously an amazing player who's proving that Rets can compete but I'm pretty sure they would've lost to that RMP in the bronze match as well. I simply don't have the patience to enter an arena and get spammed with mass dispel and got nothing left. :P

I'm no high level Ret but I'm pretty sure this is the answers to everyone's questions regarding Ret this season:

2v2 w/ 2 DPS: 2-piece PvE - Gurth:N>T2 wep - crit reforge
    2v2 w/ healer: Don't touch, you won't kill a competent healer.
    3v3 w/ 2 DPS & 1 heal: Full resi - T2 wep>Gurth:N - crit reforge
    3v3 w/ 3 DPS: 2-piece PvE - Gurth:N>T2p wep - mastery reforge

Only question will be BLF yes or no and I think it will be personal preference deciding that.

15+ Year Old Account
    2v2 w/ healer: Don't touch, you won't kill a competent healer.
    Story of my life right there. I'd still say "Full resi - T2 wep>Gurth:N - crit reforge" for 2s with healer. You're never going to win vs healer+dps anyway, so get full resilience to help against the 2x DPS teams.

Ret Paladin/Holy Paladin actually is fairly effective against many 2x DPS teams. Heavy CC teams can still shut you down, but heavy burst teams (Feral/Hunter) are not nearly as effective, at least at a mediocre rating.
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-02-21 at 08:30 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines