Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Yes you have a Cat5/cat6 going from the cable modem to your PC
    Don't automatically assume so. I live in Belgium where we have two major ISPs,
    Telenet uses coax cable to connect the coaxial wall plug-modem, whereas Belgacom uses a VDSL 2 infrastructure
    with a regular blue RJ45 cable to connect NTP TF 2007-Modem. Both are possible.
    VDSL 2 for private clients here is limited up to 30 Mbps, while the Telenet coax network goes up to 100 Mbps.

That looks exactly like my old modem! lol

I was having trouble with my line last year and they gave me a totally different one, apparently it connects to Comcast on 4 channels at the same time, and if one channel goes down or slows, it switches channels automatically, keeping my signal strong and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathtanker View Post
    Different countries different systems, thats all I have to say. I've never used or a seen a coax modem
    It's definitely a North American thing (I think Russia as well), but generally speaking it's a cost effective way to transmit above-DSL broadband services across large areas. In Canada it's especially popular in the west. Since you can fit Norway into the province of Alberta twice :P

---------- Post added 2011-12-02 at 01:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt View Post
    Don't automatically assume so. I live in Belgium where we have two major ISPs,
    Telenet uses coax cable to connect the coaxial wall plug-modem, whereas Belgacom uses a VDSL 2 infrastructure
    with a regular blue RJ45 cable to connect NTP TF 2007-Modem. Both are possible.
    VDSL 2 for private clients here is limited up to 30 Mbps, while the Telenet coax network goes up to 100 Mbps.
    Except I'm not talking about Belgium :P

It is also an excellent way to get people to check connections.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, I thought coaxial cables were only used for TV or audio signals, never heard of a coaxial modem. Learn something new every day :P

Around here (Finland) there are basically 3 options depending on where you live. Fiber optic, DSL (from the telephone jack to a DSL modem normally using a RJ-11 connector) or RJ-45 ethernet supplied throughout the whole apartment building (that's what I have).

Coxial wall socket -> Coaxial Cable -> Cable modem -> Cat 6 Internet cable -> Computer

That is my setup.

This is how it works in Canada and I would assume America as well. There is fiber optic but it is laid in the streets, not within houses (at least as far as I'm aware).

It's fast, my ISP gives out 250mbps plans, I'm on thew 100mbps package.

Last edited by Xevan; 2011-12-03 at 06:02 AM.
    I remember it all too well

You make me cry... I get 20 megs download and think I'm smoking

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm on Shaw in Canada, and I'm fine with getting less than my 50mb package, as my tests are usually run during prime time. I was just surprised to see it fix my upload, which was almost .5mb exactly and then after it was 2.99mb. It seemed too coincidental, but I'll take it.

Canada has the same infrastructure as the US (NTSC) whereas EU has PAL. The only difference between Canada and the US is in phone and DSL infrastructure, as we have a more modern network that is easier to upgrade (built almost 30-50 years after the US's), so our DSL packages aren't complete ass.

R.I.P. YARG

My cable is broken torn missing isolation in a few spots and I still get my 75/40.

---------- Post added 2011-12-03 at 06:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    Coxial wall socket -> Coaxial Cable -> Cable modem -> Cat 6 Internet cable -> Computer

That is my setup.

This is how it works in Canada and I would assume America as well. There is fiber optic but it is laid in the streets, not within houses (at least as far as I'm aware).

It's fast, my ISP gives out 250mbps plans, I'm on thew 100mbps package.

How much does a connection like that cost in canada, and it's unlimited, right?

I'm on a $150 package that includes 70 HD TV channels, Home Phone with call features and a 100mbps connection with a 500GB cap. Although that cap isn't being enforced until February.
    I remember it all too well

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account

coaxial usage in manufacturing

man this thread is old but I ran across it and thought I would comment. In our manufacturing process, we use to use coaxial cable to connect digital connections to digital handheld devices. now there are better methods. Coaxial is still a great choice but a wireless broadcast is much better for components connecting without errors. <snip>

Infracted
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2019-08-29 at 09:05 PM.