Poll: Green fire?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation Final decision: Green fire ¿Yes or No?

So, it seems that, or everyone wants green fire and becomes intrinsical with the class, or Destruction Warlocks will be fire mages for the rest of WoW.

So the choice is either they just change the spell effect to green fire for everyone, the simple way... or they wait until they can implement new technology to allow red/green choice and think up some epic method to obtain it, aka NEVER.

Hmm, I think I'd rather just HAVE the green fire than wait for it to never happen the way they want it to.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF0Rc...eature=related

Supposedly there is a mod that lets you have green fire, already in the game.

I dunno what kinda BS blizz is trying to pull claiming it would take extra tech to add green fire. You just gotta change the color of the animation, its not like designing a brand new one. With so many cosmetic glyphs already in game, I am surprised they have not added the green fire. And when I read their excuse I LOL. They must be joking if they think anyone will believe that. If you can have astral moonkin form, you can have green fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. And honestly, the way they kind of denounced green fire is ridiculous...
    They already have a glyph in beta that changes your shadowbolt into 3 smaller shadowbolts, but simply changing the colour of an animation requires rocket science??

I was really excited about playing my warlock again in MoP, but now two great things they themselves implied (green fire and demo tanking) are not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgottenone View Post
    I have a question that I would like to ask (if it doesn't get answered here I can make a thread). Why exactly is it so difficult to make green fire? I remember using one of those files that altered things in your game, yes you could get banned but I was new. I used one in vanilla that made all succubus pets look like dreadlords, later I had one that changed all warlock fire spells green. I believe I found it on mmo champion and I will look for it but my question is if someone was able to do that then why is Blizzard unable to do it?

I will begin looking for it now unless someone knows what I am talking about and can provide me with an answer :3
    You were using a mod that was changing one model into another model. So something that is Succubus model for you was appearing as something else. You were just renaming the files, it's like calling your "My Computer" icon on the desktop to look like a trash can, and then renaming it to a "trash can/bin".. It'd look like a trash can, but it's still be a "My Computer".

That is not a problem for Blizzard to implement AFAIK. To make it work they'd need to take every single spell and animation with fire that warlocks use and create a duplicate with a changed color. Then they'd need to link those new models/animations into duplicated spells with different spell ids - so the'd firsts need to for ex. create a duplicated textures for incinerate - incinerate_green.jpg, then a new spell - incinerate_green_spell.*, then depending on glyph change the spells you're using.. That would complicate things like procs - let's say Molten Core procs Soul Fire (dunno if it still works like that) - it procs the spell with certain ID.. If they introduced the green fire spells it'd have to proce either regular SF or the Green SF (with different spell ID) depending on the glyph you have.

Just to add one color they'd need to duplicate about half of warlock spells, textures and animations, vastly extend the logic behind those spells. And all this work to just add green fire effect.. What if we'd want a purple flame? Or blue flame as well?
    It's not rocket science, but a lot of work that, from a developer point of view, is not worth it ATM..

As I said - they prolly want to first introduce the system that would allow them to change textures/models/colors on the fly. Something like "take texture A, but flip the color upon rendering it to the screen". Then we could get a green, violet, red, blue flames.. Until then I don't really think they'd go with all this work required, for such minor thing.
    Last edited by DemoBytom; 2012-04-02 at 07:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    I'd far more want the violet fire that Lilian Voss was leaving behind (but still it's far far faaar away on my "I want that list)
    Well, violet is the color for affliction, demonology and shadow priests, and they have their violet "fire" spells; but for destruction, which is practically the only warlock spec that uses fire, it would be quite unoriginal. Though it wouldn't be too bad if blizzard updated some animations like Shadowburn and Mind Blast (which should not be fire like, neither so pathetic as today).

The main reason green fire is required is for warlocks to differ from mages.

Yes obviously, aslong there is a choice to keep the current fire color

10+ Year Old Account
    The wording of your question is unclear. Are you asking whether they'll get round to implementing it, or whether we want it? I think the answer to whether they'll implement it is 'yes', and as a choice because the tech they're working on to do that will give them much more flexibility to do other things. As to whether I personally want green fire; no, I want purple Shadowflame

To OP: you're Spanish XD, that ¿ is really revealing XD Español aquí :P

On topic: to me is a no. I'm a Destruction Warlock but I like ORANGE FIRE. And I don't want to trade my Fire the way it is now so the rest of warlocks get their beloved Green Fire. Yes, it's selfish, but you can't take away something that's been like that for 7 years to the few people that like Orange Fire. I love my warlock, but I would feel really weird if I casted Green Fire, TO ME it doesn't fit Destruction Spec. (Just my opinion ^^)

only if there is an epic questline to unlock it, i dont want to just go to a trainer and have them be like oh hey we figured out how to green fire enjoy.

to differentiate from a fire mage? no. ever see a puny fire mage's main nuke? That measly little fireball? Incinerate is 1000x better than a mage's fireball. Green fire? Chaos bolt. Green fire? Fel Flame (situational, but useful for movement).

They are being lazy imo. Less effort than the sb glyph to redo all the spells for a green fire glyph. copy/paste spells, new spell id, tweak the colors in an editor (you would spend more time loading the images in the editor than it'd take to change the color >_>).

For some reason, on some things, blizz greatly resists change, even if it isn't hard to implement, no matter how much a large portion want it.

But ... green fire for all ... no thank you. I respect the ability for certain locks, like one above, that have played 7 years and still want their orange-ish fire.

I understand why it should be green by those who want it ... locks deal with fel energies, but, in that regard we also deal with arcane/elemental by lore standards and technically a destro lock is a more powerful fire mage/ele shaman ... mages/shamans that lusted for power so great they started manipulated demonic energies ... used to say something to that effect when you looked at class descriptions during character creation iirc,

battle.net linkes to wowpedia which has this description: Warlocks are former arcanists, or in the case of the orcs, former shamans, who, in pursuit of ever-greater sources of power, have cast off their studies of the arcane or nature magics to delve deeper into the darker, fel-based magic of shadow.

what i take from that is almost in the direction that destro locks should have PURPLE fire, not green or orange.

I'd rather them mix orange and green together, than just shades of green. I'm no artist, so I cannot draw what I have in my head, but it sure looks great lol It'd take much more work than the 'easy' fix I suggested above (probably not that much work, for a experienced professional), but the results would be much better as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Incinerate =/= Fireball

Just for comparison, the Fireball animation for Fire Mages is the same exact one that our Imp uses.

I rather not have green fire at all than not get the choice and HAVE to use it.

I'd love green fire.

Deleted
    It would create some nice contrast between mages and warlocks. Green fire would be neat to see for a change.

I want green fire when it can be implemented properly.
    If it is added through such a stupid, inefficient method as duplicating every fiery warlock spell I will glare for a long time at Blizzard's programmers.

NO! no green fire! i hate it! Incinerate would look like a LAWN coming your way <_<

I prefer the black purple color of shadow flame
    "Is it true, the devils end up like you?
    Something safe for the picture frame?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    You were using a mod that was changing one model into another model. So something that is Succubus model for you was appearing as something else. You were just renaming the files, it's like calling your "My Computer" icon on the desktop to look like a trash can, and then renaming it to a "trash can/bin".. It'd look like a trash can, but it's still be a "My Computer".

That is not a problem for Blizzard to implement AFAIK. To make it work they'd need to take every single spell and animation with fire that warlocks use and create a duplicate with a changed color. Then they'd need to link those new models/animations into duplicated spells with different spell ids - so the'd firsts need to for ex. create a duplicated textures for incinerate - incinerate_green.jpg, then a new spell - incinerate_green_spell.*, then depending on glyph change the spells you're using.. That would complicate things like procs - let's say Molten Core procs Soul Fire (dunno if it still works like that) - it procs the spell with certain ID.. If they introduced the green fire spells it'd have to proce either regular SF or the Green SF (with different spell ID) depending on the glyph you have.

Just to add one color they'd need to duplicate about half of warlock spells, textures and animations, vastly extend the logic behind those spells. And all this work to just add green fire effect.. What if we'd want a purple flame? Or blue flame as well?
    It's not rocket science, but a lot of work that, from a developer point of view, is not worth it ATM..

As I said - they prolly want to first introduce the system that would allow them to change textures/models/colors on the fly. Something like "take texture A, but flip the color upon rendering it to the screen". Then we could get a green, violet, red, blue flames.. Until then I don't really think they'd go with all this work required, for such minor thing.
    They could prob add a minor glyph to have either green or purple fire.

And honestly, even the way you describe it seems like its more complicated then it should be. Simply duplicate a texture, change the color.....and when you click a spell it does "orange or purple or green" depending on if you have a glyph or not. I don't see why they would have to make a brand new spell, just a new texture that gets used instead of the old one for the same spell. That way the procs wouldn't get messed up either.

They have glyphs that give pets random weapons, or random bear/cat skin, extra graphics on spells.....I'm sure they can make a glyph to have a different spell skin without much effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    They could prob add a minor glyph to have either green or purple fire.

And honestly, even the way you describe it seems like its more complicated then it should be. Simply duplicate a texture, change the color.....and when you click a spell it does "orange or purple or green" depending on if you have a glyph or not. I don't see why they would have to make a brand new spell, just a new texture that gets used instead of the old one for the same spell. That way the procs wouldn't get messed up either.

They have glyphs that give pets random weapons, or random bear/cat skin, extra graphics on spells.....I'm sure they can make a glyph to have a different spell skin without much effort.
    As is explained earlier, the spell and it's associated animations and colours are not decoupled; it's one lump of code. If you want to change anything about the spell, you need a whole new spell.

Deleted
    I don't know why they don't just make the quest teach you new spells that are green and you have the choice of which you use. They could even make it pop open like demon pets/portals. I highly doubt that's at all difficult for them to do since I know Pyroblast and Pyroblast! exist.