Deleted

Pre-Order and Early Access.

Hey Guys, I hopes you could clear some things up for me since Game.co.uk (Where I bought my box copy) and Swtor.com haven't responded to my Emails after a few days.

Could someone actually explain and tell me whether I will or won't get into the Early Access on the 13th/15th.

I've redeemed my code for EA (2 days ago on the 9th), I can't find anywhere on the website to set up a subscription which apparantly means I can't play according to the websites FAQ and I've had some people saying I pre-ordered too late which is silly considering I was still promised EA on the 15th as it read on the website splash screens.

Whats going on, do I qualify? And why can't I set up a subscription, am i missing a tab here or something?

Thanks, Desp x

Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post
    Hey Guys, I hopes you could clear some things up for me since Game.co.uk (Where I bought my box copy) and Swtor.com haven't responded to my Emails after a few days.

Could someone actually explain and tell me whether I will or won't get into the Early Access on the 13th/15th.

I've redeemed my code for EA (2 days ago on the 9th), I can't find anywhere on the website to set up a subscription which apparantly means I can't play according to the websites FAQ and I've had some people saying I pre-ordered too late which is silly considering I was still promised EA on the 15th as it read on the website splash screens.

Whats going on, do I qualify? And why can't I set up a subscription, am i missing a tab here or something?

Thanks, Desp x
    Wont be able to set up a sub until early access begins i think.
    Yub Yub

Quote Originally Posted by anewok View Post
    Wont be able to set up a sub until early access begins i think.
    Either that or until it ends. I don't think this has been clarified yet.

You won't be able to set up a sub yet, but also early access begins based on when you pre-ordered and entered your code, so because you only entered your code on the 9th you will recieve an email from SWTOR.com saying when your access begins. My guess is on the 17th or 18th.

Deleted
    I would hazard a guess at you getting a day of early access, but no one knows the conditions date wise yet... Just earlier your ordered, earlier your access is.

the way it works is that you sign up, and get UPTO 7 days early access depending on when you typed in your pre order code.

you typed it in 2 days ago, so you will probably be in the last batch of invites to the early access so i wouldnt expect day 1, maybe 2 or 3? nobody can tell you, because bioware hasnt announced how big the player waves are.

if you downloaded the client and it asks you for a subscription it means your done patching, nobody will be able to set up a subscription till you recieved your copy / cd key for the actual game, which you need to put in LATEST 20'th december (if you want to continue playing)

Bioware hasnt promised anyone any amount of days, they are very vocal about "people will be invited in the order that they redeemed their code" so there is 2 million people before you on the early access invite, but i wouldnt worry too much, seeing as how the stress test beta weekend was handled like the early access is going to

and the latest invite to the beta weekend was the 2nd day of invites. so if thats any guideline hopefully everyone will be in and playing on the 2nd maybe 3rd day (this is speculation as nobody can be sure but bioware, im just telling you what ive noticed)

Hope it clears a few things up.
    All you can do now is -
    1) Wait till the 13th, check your e-mail for invite around 6-7 am pst,
    2) if you dont get one try again 14th, then the 15th. etc. untill you get the mail telling you that your in the next wave of early accessers
    3) Play the early access till the 20th
    4) add your gamecopy-cd key to keep playing
    5) Christmas and star wars

Deleted
    Ahh, balls.

Only heard of the game quite literally a fortnight ago and only recently had the means to pre-order it.

Doesn't seem right putting you in later when you're on the same ground as everyone else... If it was luck of the draw based what day you were given early access it would be different.

Guess i better try to unbook my work holiday next week then... /sigh.

15+ Year Old Account
    You were never promised 5 days of EA. You were, however, promised up to 5 days of EA.

As far as a subscription goes, you won't have to worry about that until after EA. When the game is released on the 20th, you will have to set up a payment plan to continue playing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufcat View Post
    You were never promised 5 days of EA. You were, however, promised up to 5 days of EA.

As far as a subscription goes, you won't have to worry about that until after EA. When the game is released on the 20th, you will have to set up a payment plan to continue playing.
    They could've made it clearer. It's the whole small print argument I guess.

Yeah its true, but one must understand why their doing it though, everyone can see that 2 mill people logging in at the same time will cause launch problems, we've all seen the problems with wow's login on patch days in the past.

this way they can hopefully combat login problems and server isntability before it happens, rather then have 2 days of downtime right as the game launches (age of conan comes to mind)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post
    Yeah its true, but one must understand why their doing it though, everyone can see that 2 mill people logging in at the same time will cause launch problems, we've all seen the problems with wow's login on patch days in the past.

this way they can hopefully combat login problems and server isntability before it happens, rather then have 2 days of downtime right as the game launches (age of conan comes to mind)
    I get what you're saying, which I why I said a luck of the draw thing would've been better as it doesn't punish you for not being able to pre-order a century in advance.

Also, they stress tested their servers for what I assumed was for this sudden influx of 1mill+ people. Seems stupid to stress test and then say it was pretty much useless, I've worked with servers before, not on a scale like this but with careful monitoring you can diagnose and fix problems easily if the memory is getting used up gradually. The realation to this is that if they're letting say 200,000 on each day they can diagnose and fix any problems easily (I think...) providing they have a team of smart server techs making the stress test a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post

But what about the 20th? When the servers come up and people are waiting? hrmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Neofate View Post
    But what about the 20th? When the servers come up and people are waiting? hrmmm
    The difference between the first day the game can be played and when servers come up from being down for maintenance/patching is that the population spreads out after they create their characters. There is a big difference between thousands of people trying to start a new character (and going to 1 of 4 places) and thousands of people logging into characters they have played previously and moved out beyond the starting area.

Read the 1000 threads already and no need to make another with question answered over and over and this one included, dont be lazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post
    Ahh, balls.

Only heard of the game quite literally a fortnight ago and only recently had the means to pre-order it.

Doesn't seem right putting you in later when you're on the same ground as everyone else... If it was luck of the draw based what day you were given early access it would be different.

Guess i better try to unbook my work holiday next week then... /sigh.
    I actually think its a nice gesture toward those who have supported them since the beginning.I just recently pre-ordered it too, and I don't mind if some guy whose been anticipating the game since 2006 gets to play a few days earlier than me.

Why doesn't the SWTOR launcher just say: "Subscriptions NOT yet available, etc..." or something, instead of sending everyone on a wild goose chase (Correct me if I’m wrong). It seems they assume we will use Jedi mind tricks to see that when they say "Click this link to subscribe/ activate your account" we will immediately know that this actually means there is no subscription option for now and that we have to wait until further notice. I don’t really care because you cannot play the game now anyway but for principles sake it seems EA/Bioware/Lucas are on the dark side LOL...

In addition, my account got locked because I entered the wrong answer for the 3 to 5 mandatory security questions (my memory is bad). I then had to wait 2 days to get someone on the phone because it cannot be done via email. The phone system sends you in a vicious circle of stupidity tempting you ever so further to join the dark side IRL. Once you figure out how to get someone, wait for 1 hour or so, someone who does not speak the language you selected in the first round of options picks up. They say they unlocked my account, thank you good bye. But it’s not over; they don’t tell me I have to reset my password to unlock it on my end. So I have to call again, start all over, because they cannot tell me these secrets via email. Again I still do not care because the game is not yet live. But, hopefully this is not a sign as to how things are going to be when the game does go live.

I think I am good and ready now. After creating a billion different yet linked accounts to be able to do all of this, I have downloaded whatever the launcher downloaded.

In closing, I have very low expectations for this game, but when you say anything SW I say "how high" so it won’t take much to impress me. Looking at this TSA neo-con style security and lack of clarity/organization, I really hope this is all just the administrative side of the game being weak and that the artistic/creative/tech side will make me forget this relatively insignificant hiccup (worth noting?) that I have already forgotten.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

“Wildness is a necessity” - John Muir
    Last edited by Arrowinknee; 2011-12-11 at 09:27 PM.