Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Been a huge star wars fan all my life,grew up watching the movies.But to anyone that doesnt like star wars,or hasent seen the movies.The star wars universe is much much more interesting outside of the movies.Hell with all the lore in star wars universe the movies probally make up about 1% of the lore.

---------- Post added 2011-12-13 at 06:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Uh, okay.

Sure, if you want to stab your eyes out for the 100-200 hours it takes to level, that applies.
    I sure hope it takes at least that long to hit max level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeinblack View Post
    i am not a star wars fan, i have never seen any of the movies. i dont know anything about the story except jedi is good and darth vader is bad. i still thought the game is very addictive. i had a lot of fun playing it.
    I'm not very big on Star Wars either, being born in the 70s and grown up with the three Star Wars movies, made me totally hate the three new ones with Jar Jar Crap. However I played SW:TOR and loved it. If you liked KotOR I and II, you'll love SW:TOR. Besides it's Bioware. They made the best game ever: Baldur's Gate II how can you not love them!

10+ Year Old Account
    i LIKE star wars, but i dont LOVE star wars... so i'm avoiding the game completely.

I'm not really a Star Wars fan (although I found KOTOR much more to my taste than the movies). I did like the movies in one respect, they are a good popcorn flick. I'm more of a Star Trek fan really.

Anyway, I enjoyed the SWTOR beta. I even preordered the game since I had a lot of fun. So, no you don't have to be a Star Wars fan to enjoy the game, although I'm sure it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    OT, if you don't like Star Wars you won't like this game.
    That's the most idiotic reason to not like a game I've ever heard(right up there with Horrible Graphics = Horrible Game). There's a lot of people that don't like the Warcraft story but still enjoy the game. I can't see why that couldn't be possible with a Star Wars game as well.

That said, I enjoy the Star Wars and will be playing The Old Republic.
    Last edited by Dedweight; 2011-12-13 at 06:56 AM.

You'll have fun I think. Bioware makes really good games and are good at telling their stories. Well, except for da2.

Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post
    1. I don't think it takes that long to level to max.

2. The SW "lore" in the game isn't so inclusive as to exclude people who don't like SW.

You don't need to know SW lore to appreciate good storytelling for the quests and whatnot. The NPCs don't sit there and say "WOOKIE, LIGHTSABER, JEDI, DRIOD, BLAH, BLAH." like you'd probably imagine them to do.
    100-200 hours is only 4-8 days.

It takes around 5 days to lvl 1-85 without Heirlooms, plus with a big emphasis on story and cutscenes for quests instead of "INSTANT QUEST TEXT ACCEPT KGO!" It may even take longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    i LIKE star wars, but i dont LOVE star wars... so i'm avoiding the game completely.
    All I can say to that is.... Your loss
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

I'm not a star wars fan. I'm a fan of most of bioware's work though. I enjoyed KOTOR despite the setting. From what I've seen I think it'll be the same here. Bioware is good enough at RPG's that it doesn't matter what the setting... they make it awesome.
    Last edited by Drekor; 2011-12-13 at 09:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I'm not really a Star Wars fan (although I found KOTOR much more to my taste than the movies). I did like the movies in one respect, they are a good popcorn flick. I'm more of a Star Trek fan really.

Anyway, I enjoyed the SWTOR beta. I even preordered the game since I had a lot of fun. So, no you don't have to be a Star Wars fan to enjoy the game, although I'm sure it would help.
    Exactly. It's because SW:TOR is more in the vein of KotOR than the Star Wars movies, and Bioware does an outstanding job at storytelling. RPGs is what they're excellent at (see Baldur's Gate, KotOR, Mass Effect, DA:O, Neverwinter Nights) and you can't go wrong with Bioware (well not entirely true as DA2 was a disgrace).

Deleted
    I want to try the game atleast. I am not a big Star Wars fan, but would always watch the movies because they were nicely done and had some aspects to them that interested me. I do not like spaceship fights with the pew pew laserbeams and the eternal darkness surrounding it, my preference goes out to how it is on different planets, the weird creatures and sticking a laser sword in Jabba the Hut.

Actually, I honestly think that playing this game could make you like Star Wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haturo View Post
    I want to try the game atleast. I am not a big Star Wars fan, but would always watch the movies because they were nicely done and had some aspects to them that interested me. I do not like spaceship fights with the pew pew laserbeams and the eternal darkness surrounding it, my preference goes out to how it is on different planets, the weird creatures and sticking a laser sword in Jabba the Hut.
    Space combat plays a very minor role atm in SW:TOR. It's only a minigame. The game is alot about exploring planets, and exploring the story of your class.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    Whats wrong with not liking star wars? I despise star wars. The movies were horrible. Typical plots, terrible scripts, and horrible acting. It amazes me how such pathetic movies can turn into the worlds largest marketing tool. It amazes me even more that so many people can actually think any of it is good. I mean, cmon, space wizard ninjas with light swords....

No, I am not trying to troll, I am simply saying that there is people out there who hate Star Wars. Why it would surprise anyone is beyond me.
    You do realize the plots back in the '70s when they first came out were unique. Ya they are typical now, but I'm guessing you weren't around when they first came out.

I asked the same question a while ago... I'm giving it a try. I will be space baring the quest dialogs and racing to 50 to pvp. I played WoW for 7 years, 4 of those years I would describe as "super hard core" I killed Kel Thuzad (60) US or World 3rd, I can't even remember. I have no clue Who Kel'Thuzad is... hes a floating ghost-skeleton thing with chains floating around him. I killed KJ US 10th. I have no idea who KJ is... hes a red Draeni who drank a size enhancement potion? Is that it? I dunno, he drops loot, who cares.

I'll take the same attitude toward star wars. I've seen all the movies, they are "good" not great.. and I'm 31 so its not like I'm some kid who needs CGI 3D. I really don't care about the story, I want to whack things with my light saber and make them fall over, thats it... if the game makes that fun, I'll play it. If not, back to WoW after a month.

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    100-200 hours is only 4-8 days.

It takes around 5 days to lvl 1-85 without Heirlooms, plus with a big emphasis on story and cutscenes for quests instead of "INSTANT QUEST TEXT ACCEPT KGO!" It may even take longer.

All I can say to that is.... Your loss
    Uh..
    100-200 hours is 4-8 if played 24 hours a day.
    5 days to 1-85 is actually 5 days without 24 hours a day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by leetsushi View Post
    Uh..
    100-200 hours is 4-8 if played 24 hours a day.
    5 days to 1-85 is actually 5 days without 24 hours a day.
    And it takes me a day to level 80-81, wheres your math now?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post
    1. I don't think it takes that long to level to max.

2. The SW "lore" in the game isn't so inclusive as to exclude people who don't like SW.

You don't need to know SW lore to appreciate good storytelling for the quests and whatnot. The NPCs don't sit there and say "WOOKIE, LIGHTSABER, JEDI, DRIOD, BLAH, BLAH." like you'd probably imagine them to do.
    OP, concerning the "story" aspect of the game, this is all you need to know. The NPCs talk close to what you'd expect out of a "normal" individual. They ask for your help, some plead, some beg, some talk as if they don't need your help in the first place. It's cool that way.

If you're not tired of some typical MMO fare, such as hotkey combat and questing system, then you should be able to enjoy this game. As others have said, watch videos and see if you can get into it for sure. Don't mind how combat looks though, it plays out smoother than the videos show it to be.

haha i made the mistake of asking this question on the beta, it wasnt a troll comment either! i just informed general chat that i didn't really care for the whole star wars thing and was wondering if i was the only one that thought like this...... i was. bombarded by star wars freaks wanting me to die etc, it was very interesting. on topic though: as i stated i don't care for star wars in general like at all. The movies looked lame as hell to me and i never got through more than 15 mins of one. That being said when i got into the beta i played it for 16 hrs straight, first flashpoint was a blast, storyline is great and i didn't see me skipping all the dialogue like wow quests, so non star wars fans i say definitely give it a try!

Hey now mmo-champion is calling me a keyboard turner! i consider it a compliment, I've been a keyboard turner since day 1 in wow and performed fine, using the touchpad for mmos= stabbing myself with a rusty fork or getting an arrow in the knee
    Last edited by thebeej; 2011-12-13 at 04:27 PM.

Get it!

I've never been into StarWars, it's not like I "hate" starwars, I've just never been into it. I've never seen any of the movies, never read and books, and the only thing I really know about starwars is "Luke I am your father".

That being said, the story was amazing and I loved it. The story is simply conveyed in a wonderful way. I've also never liked melee classes at all, but I love them in SWTOR (rolling a warrior). The combat just "feels" good.

I wouldn't compare the movies to the game. I didn't like the movies much either, but I do enjoy the lore, so getting the chance to delve into the story myself? Very very fun
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8