Thread: Help me pick :)

Help me pick :)

Hey all getting swtor in about a week or 2 im a big pvper from wow so i been watching videos on classes i was a rogue and war in wow and the classes ive been looking at for swtor have been mainly assassins, maras, and also been looking at juggs and operatives too cant choose which one someone gimme a better outlook on dmg and just whatever possible and help me choose !! Thank you

Deleted
    Roll republic... you'll help the game out a lot lot more!! But on a serious note, there are no logs in this game so no real numbers for damage. Ops can be good for burst damage.... assasins have good survivabilty aswell as damage... just pick what you feel you'll feel at home with

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that can be kind of a tough call. An Ass or Mar can be major dps threats but both can be pretty squishy. Of course the Ass can stealth and the Mar can't if I recall correctly. My main suggestion would be to roll on the most heavily populated server you can find and then go guild shopping.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I recommend against Juggernaut. They simply don't do enough damage to pressure any healer.

Marauders are high DPS, and offer very good survivability if played correctly. They're like a fury warrior with good survivability, and MS. Like a warrior in WoW, they have a lot of problems (they suck at lower levels, they're worthless if you don't have decent gear, and they still rely quite heavily on having a healer), but at the same time, they're godlike with a healer and good gear.
    Assassins are pretty solid too, I'd say they're a lot like a feral druid. It's not as much burst as an operative, but way more survivability.
    Operative is a lot like a rogue, but is much much harder to play than Assassins. They have a good number of escapes, but they're very squishy. They have incredibly high burst though.
    Powertech is a lot like a Deathknight, one of the best melee classes in PvP. They do solid DPS, but freakin never die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah my Powertech was brutal in PvP, freaking kings of AoE, but aren't they getting nerfed in 1.2?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

i think mercs are getting nerfed

but i dont really get why there nerfing bounty hunters merc spec.and doing nothing to powertechs advanced prototype spec,which ive heard is noticably underperforming compared to pyrotech
    Last edited by CrunkJuice5; 2012-03-15 at 07:44 AM.

mercs are getting changed so they can't spam tracer missile and win. That effects both pve and pvp. Is their damage being nerfed? We don't know because we have not seen any actual patch notes.

We don't know what kind of class changes/balancing they are rolling out.

10+ Year Old Account
    First, all classes are currently very viable in PVP. And all have their own problems.

Operative is closest to your rogue. Most Operatives spec Concealment (stealth) or Lethality (dots) for pvp. High burst damage, strong cooldowns, stunlock ability and has healing spells. Will win any 1vs1, cause you choose the target and the battlefield. However, can be quickly torn apart if caught out of stealth without cooldowns up. Doesn't have much team utility, does bring the ability to quickly tear apart squishy targets/healers and control midfield of a battle. Also has the option of speccing for Healer, which is closest to resto druid. If you enjoy playing a class that gets frequent hate mail (yes, really..), this is the one for you. This class probably works best in the warzone Alderaan, where you can ninjacap flags and pick out targets.

Assassins are a melee/range hybrid, probably closest to an enhancement shaman. They too have stealth. All three specs Darkness (tank), Deception (stealth) and Madness (dots) are used in pvp. Good burst damage, high sustained damage, self healing in certain specs, great AoE, amazing utility in the form of short time running speed burst, knockback, enemy target pull (if specced), guard, taunt. Has abilities with a longer range than standard melee range, so can't be kited and suffers less from server lag/stutter. Their stealth spec is not as good as the operative stealth spec. This class probably works best in the warzones Voidstar and Alderaan, where you can either ninjacap flags, pick out targets or join the zerg.

Marauders are a pure melee DPS class and closest to DPS warrior. Two specs are generally used in PVP, Annihilation (dots) and Rage (AoE/runspeed). Very high sustained damage. Has a longrange charge on a short cooldown, has self healing if specced for it, has a second (shortrange) charge if specced for it, has tons of situational abilities and utility (in combat stealth, survival cooldowns, DPS cooldown, group cooldowns). However, is very shuishy, gear dependent and requires much more effort than other classes to play equally well; mostly cause they have (too) many abilities. If you have a Razer Naga, no problem, if not..next. There are amazing marauders and idiot marauders, nothing in between. The class is also extremely backloaded, you only become good at level 50. BUT they turn into freaking powerhouses with a pocket healer. This class works equally well in all warzones.

Juggernauts are a melee class too and closest to tank warrior. Two specs are used in PVP, Immortal or Immortal/Vengeance (Tank) and Rage (DPS). Has a short cooldown long range charge, guard, taunt, AoE slow (free if specced), tons of survival cooldowns, a second shortrage charge if specced for it, an ability that pushes the enemy away, intercept ability (charge to friendly target), pretty good DPS in tank spec, high AoE DPS in rage spec, if tank spec reduced damage taken after a charge, freaking stun/slow/CC immunity after a charge... These guys just don't die easily, and they hop around controlling the battlefield. If you like being a major annoyance to people of the other team, pick this. This class works best in the warzone Hutball by a mile, and secondly Voidstar.

I would also suggest for you to look at some PVP video's to see what you like best.
    Assassin/Shadow: http://www.youtube.com/user/psish40/videos
    Marauder/Sentinel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egokP7aH-nQ
    Guardian/Juggernaut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-GM-PEioKo

Thank u wIld cherry that helped alot i think i might roll with an assassin for now i hear good things about the tank spec so im kinda thinking that, deception rotation looks to repetitive, i like the whole melee having dots like an unholy dk which were alot of fun but i hear nothing good about madness so idk thats a reason i kinda wanted a mara cause of the supposed dot spec im thinkin assassin for now but imma just let my finger make what it makes when i get the game lol

At 50 Maras and Darkness Assassins both are great pvp choices. However in 10-49 bracket I think Darkness Assassin is the better choice. Mara's do not get their vanish type ability until level 30 and their bubble type ability until the late 40's. Both of these abilities are key components of a Mara's survival and without them leveling through pvp can be painful.

10+ Year Old Account
    We really frown upon "help me choose XXX class" threads. The problem is that all everyone can do is throw out their opinions and hope you choose the class they prefer. In the end, all you can do is just...choose. Pick one, and see if you like it. You're not penalized for doing so.

Closing.