Deleted

FPS stuttering with AMD-cards?

I had an ATI 4850 when I started this game. In outside areas when walking I get tiny slowdowns/stutters in FPS every two secdons or even more often. This problem doesn't seem to exist in caves or houses.

So I thought it was just time to upgrade my gfx card, I bought a 6870. And the problem persists and the general FPS has not gone up at all. Feels exactly the same as before and the stutters remain. I also downloaded the newest catalyst from the AMD site...

My other specs are:

Amd Phenom II 555 BE 3,2 GHz
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

My hard drive is pretty old, but I'm not sure if it can cause such things? I've been reading the TOR forums and seems a lot of people with ATI/AMD cards are experiencing issues in the game atm. Would like to hear some experiences and how to improve, because I'm not going to start blindly upgrading my components again for no benefit.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hello thar Megara, you're certainly not alone with this issue.

As you mentioned alot of people on the swtor forums are experiencing issues with AMD cards. I my self got two 6970's running with Crossfire and i'm presented with these stutters too. I've found out that the game runs much more smoothly with Crossfire disabled, and that the stutters are not affected by any settings at all. Sadly i don't think there is anything we can do about it right now. The best thing would be to wait for an official release of supporting drivers (http://twitter.com/catalystcreator is a pretty good place to stay updated).

I did run the Beta without any issues what so ever. Think i was still on the 11.11 drivers then, perhaps a lil' roll back would be in place. I'll have to try that when i get home!

and I just bought a 6870 today too, but too bad I can't use it til x-mas lol

It seems like AMD is always the card giving people problems in various games and you have to wait until they update the drivers for a fix. I just hope this isn't too common of a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm running a 5850 and having these stutters as well. I get rock-solid 60 FPS the majority of the time, but any time I'm outdoors or in a major city, I get tiny little stutters every few seconds. It's not a huge issue, but it does irk me a bit.

15+ Year Old Account
    my 6850 has no issues at all. of course i'm overclocking the shit out of it... 875 core/1250 memory.

screenshot of my settings: http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...w/654f244e.jpg

all settings are maxed in game but shadows are turned off.

Deleted
    I have the same problem with my 5850. It doesn't render the game unplayable by any means, but it certainly does bother me. I tried going from 4 to 8 gigs of system ram, which didn't help. So I'm thinking my problem is either the the hard drive is loading textures slowly, causing the stutter, or that there's an issue with my graphics card and the game... :/

The game runs great on my 5770, course i haven't got shadows turned on, and that probably makes a big difference. The only framerate drops i've noticed is when dismounting, while a companion is out, the framerate stutters for some reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by walrusaurus View Post
    The game runs great on my 5770, course i haven't got shadows turned on, and that probably makes a big difference. The only framerate drops i've noticed is when dismounting, while a companion is out, the framerate stutters for some reason.
    Mate just curious what processor and RAM you have? I have exactly same card and same behaviour but initially i thought its from processor(i have some i3)

10+ Year Old Account
    same here..... Sometimes runs like crap. When your doing pvp RL fucking anoying :/
    I just got 8gb of 1600ddr3 i got 6850@950/1130 and 6x4.1 phenom. Fucking BF3 runs on high with msaax4 at 60fps !!!! ENGINE SUCKS ASS atm.
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

I have the same issue. Most the time I'm running at about 30-40 FPS with medium graphics, but I'll occasionally hit a spot where I stutter of freeze up for a second or 2.

Deleted
    I exclusively have this on Taris, but that whole place seems to be a graphical hellhole (On an unrelated note; turn quest tracking off there. Seriously)
    Other than that, I do have below excepted FPS in general (Still around 70-100 generally) but I think this is mainly a lack of proper optimization. Other than that, I have no stutters or freezes.

AMD Radeon HD 6870, for that matter.
    Last edited by mmocdf265024f7; 2011-12-21 at 03:47 PM.

5870 with no probs everything on max and shadows turned on and getting around 80-90fps every time i check

10+ Year Old Account
    this morning i installed 12.1 drivers and apparently 12.1 cap is out to today. I hope that helps.
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

Deleted
    There was this topic about this at the start of early access, I did the changes and stutter disappeared. I still still have to run on minimum because this game seems to hate mobile GPUs and AMD cards.

Mmo-champ / threads/1044865-For-those-with-ATI-cards-READ