Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkano View Post
    Oh look another dragon....again...no offence but dragons have been done to death in wow. It is hard to think or care about them when their personalities are so limited. You don't really get the feeling you know Deathwing or why he is doing what he is doing. The build up to the final battle was to simply re-use bosses and zones you had already killed. It would be like finding out the final level of Super Mario was the same as the first level.
    I still play wow, but yeh i agree with you on this point, to many damn dragons already, then again it is a fantasy game.

it's all your choice tho, so enjoy SWTOR and the story yeh.. Cataclysm was basicly:the world is ending, help ous!
    Thrallk i'l become the earth warden hahahaha shadouken W/E
    aspectsk we lose our powers durp
    Aggra:i'm carrying a child
    horde:awsome!
    Alliance:are we ever gona get a part in this?
    Thrall:yeh! Firelands is all about the alliance!
    Alliance:it's about a tree-hugging elf who went wacko..
    Thrall:hes a nightelf! and a firelord!
    *alliance facepalms at thrall*
    Deathwing:hey guys i'm gona burn you all to crisps.

while SWtor is basicly.
    Jedi:I'm a Jedi
    Sith:I'm a Sith, join the darkside or die!
    Jedi:Never!
    Sithk *roflestomps the Jedi with millions of troops*
    plus bioware has written the story for SWTOR.

I've been playing both every day. Each has strengths and weaknesses. SW:TOR is clearly the better single player game. WoW is clearly the better MMO.

Check back with us in 6 months after spacebarring to death all the cutscenes that you've seen scores of times before.

Having played a number of MMOs, SW:TOR has the worst auction house set up I've ever seen. It's horrible.

I miss LFD. A lot.

The UI is 5 years out of date.

Face the music: You've got the 7-year itch, and you're in lust to the point that you're utterly blind to the many deficiences that SW:TOR has.

Now, I'm enjoying SW:TOR myself, but it's apples and oranges compared to WoW. I love AoE looting, the crafting system's good, and I'm loving the class storylines. But, just as I'm not blind to WoW's problems, while the storyline and immersion elements work well, the MMO elements are far, FAR rougher around the edges in SWTOR than in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeka View Post
    I've been playing both every day. Each has strengths and weaknesses. SW:TOR is clearly the better single player game. WoW is clearly the better MMO.

Check back with us in 6 months after spacebarring to death all the cutscenes that you've seen scores of times before.

Having played a number of MMOs, SW:TOR has the worst auction house set up I've ever seen. It's horrible.

I miss LFD. A lot.

The UI is 5 years out of date.

Face the music: You've got the 7-year itch, and you're in lust to the point that you're utterly blind to the many deficiences that SW:TOR has.

Now, I'm enjoying SW:TOR myself, but it's apples and oranges compared to WoW. I love AoE looting, the crafting system's good, and I'm loving the class storylines. But, just as I'm not blind to WoW's problems, while the storyline and immersion elements work well, the MMO elements are far, FAR rougher around the edges in SWTOR than in WoW.
    I'll keep my cutscenes, you kill your boars, because... well, they're there existing and that fking impedes on every questgivers plans in wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post

while SWtor is basicly.
    Jedi:I'm a Jedi
    Sith:I'm a Sith, join the darkside or die!
    Jedi:Never!
    Sithk *roflestomps the Jedi with millions of troops*
    plus bioware has written the story for SWTOR.
    Star Wars is and never will be just about the Jedi and Sith, just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeka View Post

Since it's new and there isn't much end game in SWTOR yet how exactly is WoW more of an MMO? Leveling up in WoW from levels 1-80 you will only see a handful of people outside of instances and battlegrounds. WoW isn't a MMO, don't let the cross server LFG and battlegrounds fool you. It's an instanced, group oriented game but not an MMO anymore. Hell I even see more people tending my crops in Farmville than I do leveling up. Ignore the AFKs in the cities, get rid of the trolls in trade chat, and remove the 85s flying around gathering and you get a huge, empty world.

Now true, I understand TOR is new so of course there will be more people populating the zones but one thing I'm liking is that TOR wants you to group. You don't get penalized experience for being in a group (at least I haven't noticed it), you get bonus experience from some quests for being in a group and you can also turn in quests as a group (while also leveling up your social bar). TOR has group quests right out the door, while WoW is removing theirs from older zones because there just isn't anyone leveling up anymore.

WoW might be a game with more activities to do over a longer period of time (end game content) but it isn't more of a MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogretron View Post
    Since it's new and there isn't much end game in SWTOR yet how exactly is WoW more of an MMO? Leveling up in WoW from levels 1-80 you will only see a handful of people outside of instances and battlegrounds. WoW isn't a MMO, don't let the cross server LFG and battlegrounds fool you. It's an instanced, group oriented game but not an MMO anymore. Hell I even see more people tending my crops in Farmville than I do leveling up. Ignore the AFKs in the cities, get rid of the trolls in trade chat, and remove the 85s flying around gathering and you get a huge, empty world.

Now true, I understand TOR is new so of course there will be more people populating the zones but one thing I'm liking is that TOR wants you to group. You don't get penalized experience for being in a group (at least I haven't noticed it), you get bonus experience from some quests for being in a group and you can also turn in quests as a group (while also leveling up your social bar). TOR has group quests right out the door, while WoW is removing theirs from older zones because there just isn't anyone leveling up anymore.

WoW might be a game with more activities to do over a longer period of time (end game content) but it isn't more of a MMO.
    This is probably the most intelligent post here, but I'd like to change some things in it, WoW doesn't have more end game content, sorry. In TOR you still need to do alot to actually be prepared for end game. Because Blizzard decided to kill tiered progression off mid wrath and make previous encounters obsolete the only real endgame is Dragon Soul and the three "heroics" that came with it. I'm really hoping Bio sticks to old fashioned MMO style of keeping all content of the expansion important.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirona View Post
    you say that right after they released the biggest patch they've ever made
    I sense a catababy

This patch pales in size to many other content patches. The first one that springs to mind is Ulduar.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrolepsy View Post
    I sense a catababy

This patch pales in size to many other content patches. The first one that springs to mind is Ulduar.
    He's just blindly following what the blue posts tells him as most of the fans do, it seems like every patch (aside the lol zg/za patch) is promoted as the next biggest patch, when it reality it's significantly smaller to patches of previous expansions MB for MB.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus1811 View Post
    This is probably the most intelligent post here, but I'd like to change some things in it, WoW doesn't have more end game content, sorry. In TOR you still need to do alot to actually be prepared for end game. Because Blizzard decided to kill tiered progression off mid wrath and make previous encounters obsolete the only real endgame is Dragon Soul and the three "heroics" that came with it. I'm really hoping Bio sticks to old fashioned MMO style of keeping all content of the expansion important.
    TY! What I meant was that there are achievements, factions to max out, more AH activities, alts etc. You know, all the boring crap that no one really wants to do but it is still something that keeps people busy. I'm sure there is more to do in TOR for actual end game but I don't want to spoil it for myself as I'm enjoying the game at my own pace.

Ah time to pick apart some WoW fanboy dribble who clearly hasn't played TOR yet. It's fine if you don't want to play, but at least play the game before making up things that suck. And if you actually have touched the game.... then I have no clue what you're smoking but I really want some.

Voice overs getting old? Compared to what, none that WoW offers? Just skip them like you do WoW's quests and in doing so skip out on this new thing called "immersion" that you don't experience in WoW.
    Same combat system? OK there are a few similarities but there are more differences to make up for it. This is just being nitpicky since the combat system has been working for other games and no reason to change it up.
    No dual spec? Why would you need to dual spec when healers/tanks can DPS perfectly fine? I'm leveling as a tank and I have no problems leveling or grouping with others that don't need my tanking skills. Tanks and healers are useless in WoW, not TOR. I should stop here as it's clear you didn't play WoW (or any other MMO) before dual spec was created but I'll continue.
    How many kill quests are there huh? Not very many, usually the quest tells you to do something specific and the kill quest is a bonus. Very rarely do you see the quest giver ask you to just kill x random monsters.
    Bugs? It's a new game, of course there are going to be bugs. You know how many bugs there were in WoW years after the game came out? More than there should have been.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the AH, as that is the only real gripe I have so far. I'll give you a couple of those other points though. UI customization would be nice but then again I'm fine with how everything is. Most of the useful changes you can make in WoW you have to have add-ons for so it's stupid to compare. Areas could be a little more fun but it's the theme of the game to be leveling in those places so it's acceptable.

Now don't get me wrong I loved WoW, played it for a little over 6 years straight, but after Cata came out I realized they are never going to move forward and that's OK with me. Just not my game anymore.
    I speak of listening to cutscenes for pointless quest of getting an item or breaking a number of containers almost all of them boring. Which these quest make up a majority of the ones you do...

"ut there are more differences to make up for it"

Like what ? This is typical biodrone talk you talk about how its different and fun but you can't list reasons why.

If you honestly don't understand why duel spec should be in an mmo you must not have much experience past leveling.This is only one of the things Bioware is working backwards on.Yes its new but for the money spent this game it has more bugs and lower quality than other mmo's which are better

You realize I don't play WoW ? You understand that you are comparing the amazing new swtor to a 7 year old game only makes it look worse...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Can you PLEASE stop putting words in my mouth? When did I even HINT that I was saying WoW was bad? I was merely stating that almost every person who tries a new MMO ends up coming back to WoW is complete BS. Fly off the handle more.
    I wasn't even talking about WoW being good or bad that post was about number of subscriptions. This must be awkward for you...
    Last edited by Slothanator; 2011-12-24 at 10:35 AM.

I won't go back, not because TOR is good, but because for me WoW is thing of the past. The leveling up experience in TOR is amazing and we will se how things go after that ... But even if it turns out to be another grind fest ala WoW, there are other new MMOs on the horizont and even some fun single player games.

No point going back.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    already returned, SWTOR was a huge disappointment for me
    look what they did with Dragon Age. While Origins was amazing game, DA2 was terrible piece of crap. While Mass Effect had RPG elements, casuals moaned that it was too hard. ME2 was basically 3rd person shooter with some RPG elements, ME3 will be only 3rd person shooter. SWTOR will be dead in few patches.
    Last edited by mmocde15d96b6b; 2011-12-24 at 10:56 AM. Reason: bolys

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW killed WoW for me, it had nothing to do with TOR but I am enjoying it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothanator View Post
    If you honestly don't understand why duel spec should be in an mmo you must not have much experience past leveling.This is only one of the things Bioware is working backwards on.Yes its new but for the money spent this game it has more bugs and lower quality than other mmo's which are better
    Dual spec is only necessary in WoW and Rift because the healing and tanking "specs" are not that great to level or solo with. Changing specs from your raid tank to PVP DPS or whatever on the weekend wasn't that bad, if anything it just got expensive but gold is easy to come by. The only other reason would be if you're needed to fill another spot in a raid, and on those occasions dual spec would be nice but it's still not necessary. If you don't understand how a game can succeed without dual spec then you didn't play WoW before Wrath, or Rift is the only MMO you've played.

Would I like dual spec? Sure. Is it something to cry over because they don't have? No. As it is right now dual spec isn't needed in TOR but I'm sure it will be implemented sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by johnyderp View Post
    already returned, SWTOR was a huge disappointment for me
    look what they did with Dragon Age. While Origins was amazing game, DA2 was terrible piece of crap. While Mass Effect had RPG elements, casuals moaned that it was too hard. ME2 was basically 3rd person shooter with some RPG elements, ME3 will be only 3rd person shooter. SWTOR will be dead in few patches.
    DA2 was a miss, but what was wrong about it was mostly that it was a rushed sequel. TOR is anything but rushed. ME2 was better than ME, I didn't miss any of the messy RPG elements from ME. ME3 will be like ME2, but with option not to do dialogs ... you have too much hate for BW.

Dual spec is only necessary in WoW and Rift because the healing and tanking "specs" are not that great to level or solo with. Changing specs from your raid tank to PVP DPS or whatever on the weekend wasn't that bad, if anything it just got expensive but gold is easy to come by. The only other reason would be if you're needed to fill another spot in a raid, and on those occasions dual spec would be nice but it's still not necessary. If you don't understand how a game can succeed without dual spec then you didn't play WoW before Wrath, or Rift is the only MMO you've played.

Would I like dual spec? Sure. Is it something to cry over because they don't have? No. As it is right now dual spec isn't needed in TOR but I'm sure it will be implemented sometime.
    I would actually like if we could just adjust our spec when out of combat. No dual spec ... but a free spec. Don't see the point of being stucked in a spec.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just give it some more time.. Swtor will die just like every other one of wow's competitors.. muahah.. i still seen this as a wow bashfest i think some of these posts are hillarioussss! Don't know why people keep bashing on something they once loved and cherished and still play to this day.

But, to the OP - I've watched game play videos of this game and man.. can you say wow clone? but with crappier spell effects!.. anyway, i still play wow and wont bother with swtor.. sorry fanboys.. but i'm anxiously waiting for MOP to get here.. world pvp needs to get back to WOW.. dragons are old.. time to own the horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbabyy18 View Post
    sorry fanboys.. but i'm anxiously waiting for MOP to get here.. world pvp needs to get back to WOW.. dragons are old.. time to own the horde.
    The irony just oozes from this post. Also enjoy your world PvP until everyone hits max level and goes right back to flying right past each other.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    Difference between Aion, Warhammer, etc is that they got WoW when it was growing. WoW is clearly in decline at the moment and a LOT of people don't like the direction WoW is going. Lolpanda is gonna drive away millions from WoW. Let's take an average player right now. After you kill DW in LFR is there anything to do? Darkmoon faire and its simplistic games? Sure. You gonna get your mount next faire (i am getting my tallstrider then dont care about dancing bear have too many bears already). It does not matter whether you kill DW in LFR, Normal or heroic. The amount of content you see is the same. With ragnaros you did not kill him on normal but here DW dies either way, you see the same cinematic and you loot his jaw (a part of his infamous chin) The "content" in 4.3 got depleted within the first 2 weeks. If you ask an old school warcraft player, I mean one of those that played Warcraft I, II, B.Net edition, etc about pandas they frequently would either get angry or laugh outright. Seeing that Blizzard made Thrall into Jesus of WoW and killed of aspects (they are not dead but dead for purposes of future lore) you can see a lot of folks will not be pleased with WoW lore.
    I played Orc vs Humans back in the day, I liked that game, 2,3 where great. I was playing other MMOs when I heard about WOW, and was fearful they would ruin the story. Turned out they did slowly over time. When they added Space goats and Tron Aliens of the light Warcraft lore died. But I continued playing, by this point I had a weekly raid, I stopped reading the walls of text. When Wrath came out I wanted to be interested but work became more important, so I stopped raiding, my account got hacked and lost. /emocry but I still had my other account with my silly gnome warlock (2 accounts because I play on PVP servers and raided horde side. yes a long time ago you needed 2 accounts one for horde one for alliance). So my take on Pandas, sure they where in 3, the brewmaster was there, if you did a perfect mission getting the Belfs through the gate he was there. He was a bad ass Kung Fu Panda Hero and he was a joke. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunken_Master because the Panda was clearly a reference to Jackie Chan. When I saw the announcement at Blizcon I was like 'What?!' to this day I still think Metzen was trolling us, But then look at the final cut scene of Death Wing. Hello did they just announce the End of WOW? And did they just say Thall's future kid will be the Aspect of Magic, Life, Dreaming and Time? What?! As far as I am concerned WOW has lost the last bit of respect it had earned, many of my friends who don't like Sci-Fi who are still playing WOW are waiting patiently for D3, mean while a lot of us old timers are in SWTOR because it feels the way WOW did early in Vanilla, I loved WOW back then.

(*Side note all my 'What?!' as said by Barbra Walters see: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...xrs=share_copy)

---------- Post added 2011-12-24 at 05:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbabyy18 View Post
    I've watched game play videos of this game and man.. can you say wow clone? but with crappier spell effects!.. anyway, i still play wow and wont bother with swtor.. sorry fanboys.. but i'm anxiously waiting for MOP to get here.. world pvp needs to get back to WOW.. dragons are old.. time to own the horde.
    You must be a Wrath Baby, World PVP died the day Battle Grounds Happened, then Blizz killed the last bit of World PVP by giving the Horde ALL the places where world PVP still happened. So Pandas and Pokemon will not bring back World PVP, it will ensure people wont come back. Mean while I can Gank Republic on Alderan and I am happy, the lines of who is good and who is evil is clear, make no mistake I am Sith I am the Bad guy no matter what moral choices I may make as a player I am the villain and I will kill you when I see you. Mean while in Orgrimmar my forgotten Horde PVP alt sits alone doing nothing with no motivation to gank with no reason for battle grounds, and now She is no longer evil, F*** You Thrall for taking away my purpose, I wanted to be an Evil Mean Orc and Now I am a misunderstood person... /emo cry I wanted to be the bad person, I wanted to be Horrible and Feared and now Thrall is the Hero and Savior of Azeroth it makes me a sad Panda.

I never understood why anyone would grind up fast to pvp in WoW... IMO, WoW pvp is... atrocious.. It's all instance based, if that's the case, I would just stick to BF3/MW3/SC2.. In fact, I actually quit raiding WOTLK in the middle so I get more time playing Bad Company 2.

Likewise I am probably not going to play any Warzone as well for exactly the same reason. To me if you are an MMO game, the MAIN pvp gameplay should be persistent (like open world pvp where 2 factions are constantly fighting for territory. Warhammer Online actually did very well on this). Not only it's easy for pick up play (no more spamming trade channel to look for 2s or 3s partner).. but it offers a distinct experience no other online multiplayer game can offer.

And for those keep making a big fuss about those little twitchy things in pvp combat.. Dear god.. just quit the MMO genre already. Save those 15 bucks per month and move onto FPS.