Deleted

Help installing new Video Card

I bought an i3 with built in graphics card which isnt that good so I also purchased a GeForce nVidea 550 Ti GTX PCI Express.

But I am having difficulties in installing the card and getting it to run. I was told it was a simple as slotting it in and that was it. So I undone the casing and put the new card into the slot and closed the pull down bracket. But this didnt close properly, it was very slightly off. Then I rebooted pc and tried to Add new Hardware but it didnt find anything. I was a little hesitant to push it in really firmly at first but am not 100% sure it is fully in, but I think it is. I didnt do anything with the PCI-E connector, I have no idea what that is. Do I have to plug that in somewhere for it to work ? And what do I do after to find it ?

Thanks for your help, sorry for the dumbness, Im a bit of a noob with hardware and dont want to damage the card or my pc.

Daz

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The GTX550Ti needs a 6 pin PCI-E power plug from your power supply plugged into it directly otherwise it will not be powered on. The card should also be tucked in snug and you shouldn't see any of the gold pins. When in doubt youtube a video guide.

Deleted
    "... a 6 pin PCI-E power plug from your power supply plugged into it directly"

Thanks for your speedy reply. How do I plug in this 6 pin ? I have a cord that has 6pins(or 5?) on 1 end and 2 similar 3 pins on the other end. Whereabouts do I plug in the 3 ends ?

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to point out that you also need to connect the monitor directly to the video card.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    This video will show you the process from start to finish.