Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is my new CPU a doa?

So i have had a pre-built computer i got about a year ago on emergency because i didn't have the time to build one. I replaced the Ram and graphics card over time and decided to replace the CPU. I got the new CPU in last night and decided to install it. When my comp turns on, it just says, "This CPU is not supported by this platform" or what not. Both my old and new CPU are AM3 sockets. So my question is, is this CPU a DOA or can I still use it just i another system?

First of all, specs?

It might be that the manufacturer disabled support for all other CPU's, you never know.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ednerr View Post
    So i have had a pre-built computer i got about a year ago on emergency because i didn't have the time to build one. I replaced the Ram and graphics card over time and decided to replace the CPU. I got the new CPU in last night and decided to install it. When my comp turns on, it just says, "This CPU is not supported by this platform" or what not. Both my old and new CPU are AM3 sockets. So my question is, is this CPU a DOA or can I still use it just i another system?
    Probably need to do a bios update on your motherboard for it to accept the new chip. If the mobo is detecting that the cpu you have isn't supported then it's doubtful the chip is dead.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Probably need to do a bios update on your motherboard for it to accept the new chip. If the mobo is detecting that the cpu you have isn't supported then it's doubtful the chip is dead.
    Exactly my thoughts. What CPU and what Motherboard, and did you update the bios?

When my comp turns on, it just says, "This CPU is not supported by this platform" or what not. Both my old and new CPU are AM3 sockets.
    If the CPU was DOA it would not start at all to display text for you. Problem is that the BIOS don't support it as mentioned above. Since it's prebuilt (Dell, HP, Acer etc) odds are slim to none that you can get BIOS patched to accept new processors.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Well not sure exactly what motherboard is installed but the brand is foxconn, upgrading CPU from an amd 840 to a 980. Already have 4 gigs gskill installed and an hd 5770. I was doing some research and everything i see pretty much says it is impossible for me to access the BIOS on a pre-built computer (HP being mine). So since this is the case, would just installing a new mobo fix the issue?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well not sure exactly what motherboard is installed but the brand is foxconn, upgrading CPU from an amd 840 to a 980. Already have 4 gigs gskill installed and an hd 5770. I was doing some research and everything i see pretty much says it is impossible for me to access the BIOS on a pre-built computer (HP being mine). So since this is the case, would just installing a new mobo fix the issue?
    Yes, but if you're going through the trouble you should just spend a bit more money to get a i3/i5 setup, better in the long run.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

See thats the thing, I don't quite have the money to do that because of spring semester about to begin. And if i get a new mobo, would i have to change out my existing hard drive if i'm keeping the rest of the system the same?

10+ Year Old Account
    See thats the thing, I don't quite have the money to do that because of spring semester about to begin. And if i get a new mobo, would i have to change out my existing hard drive if i'm keeping the rest of the system the same?
    No, but you'll probably have to do a reinstall of the OS.

So I'd have to buy windows and reinstall it or can i back it up on an external drive and re-install it that way?

Update your BIOS. You're going to have to use a different CPU to actually get to where you can do that but still.
    Mursenary (Blood/Frost PvP) - Archimonde US
    Narahinto (Resto PvE/Resto PvP) - Archimonde US

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'd have to buy windows and reinstall it or can i back it up on an external drive and re-install it that way?
    A reinstall from a backup will net no change in what you have without doing the reinstall. A fresh install of the OS would update chipset and various other drivers that would change from one motherboard to the other. I say 'probably' because in most situations taking a hd from one mobo to another will BSOD on startup, I did however change a mobo on a XP recently and had no problems starting up albeit a little slow on the first startup when it recognized the different hardware..

I can't update my BIOS atm due to it being a pre-built from HP. They restrict you from accessing it

I'm using my old amd 840 atm, but i just can't access the BIOS to update it

---------- Post added 2011-12-23 at 09:57 PM ----------

So my best bet is to re-install windows from CD version?

---------- Post added 2011-12-23 at 09:58 PM ----------

So my best bet is to re-install windows from CD version?

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't update my BIOS atm due to it being a pre-built from HP. They restrict you from accessing it

I'm using my old amd 840 atm, but i just can't access the BIOS to update it[COLOR="red"]
    HP does not restrict access to the BIOS of any PC, next to no manufacturer does in the past 10-15 years.

Tell us what model PC you have exactly and we'll see what we can do.

Its an HP pavilion p6774y

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    HP does not restrict access to the BIOS of any PC, next to no manufacturer does in the past 10-15 years.
    They just ship the computer with no settings in BIOS besides clock and boot order, and no BIOS patches either. That's the standard practice with big OEM computers in the past 10-15 years. And you're locked to the processors that are officially supported by the shipped BIOS since you can't change the voltages or clock speeds manually.

There could be unofficial BIOS images floating around for specific motherboards, but I wouldn't count on finding one that works.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    HP does restrict what processors you can put in, at least one of mine did. It wouldn't allow overclocking too, from that point on I've always built my own.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    They just ship the computer with no settings in BIOS besides clock and boot order, and no BIOS patches either. That's the standard practice with big OEM computers in the past 10-15 years. And you're locked to the processors that are officially supported by the shipped BIOS since you can't change the voltages or clock speeds manually.

There could be unofficial BIOS images floating around for specific motherboards, but I wouldn't count on finding one that works.
    I haven't had a single HP BIOS in about 15 years of retail, talking PCs here, that had only those restrictions, yes they'd be limited but not to the degree you're referring, this however is in the EU, i don't know if it's the same in the US, but highly doubtfull.

The CPU thing, possibly, but BIOS updates are always allowed, it depends on the manufacturer if they want to be dicks and make them public or not, in this case HP always does.

Better to try then not to.

---------- Post added 2011-12-24 at 12:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    HP does restrict what processors you can put in, at least one of mine did. It wouldn't allow overclocking too, from that point on I've always built my own.
    Yes, processor restriction, but not BIOS access restriction.

15+ Year Old Account
    If the bios update doesn't work and it turns out you do have to upgrade your motherboard, run this program (which is included with Windows by Microsoft) and follow this little guide on the last time you shut down your computer before installing the motherboard:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-computer.html

Very few people seem to know about Sysprep when it comes to its use in switching motherboards, but it makes everything super easy and eliminates 99% of BSODs and compatibility issues. It erases all system information and replaces all drivers with windows generic defaults on the next boot (where you will have the new motherboard installed!). If you're not running Windows 7, you have to run sysprep through the command line - I think it's like sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize or something - but it works the same way.

Since your copy of Windows is OEM, you'd have to call Microsoft to reactivate Windows afterwards but it would take like 5 minutes to go through their automated activation line.
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-12-23 at 11:25 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines