Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Don't get a mission skill, get slicing instead.

Major Update: http://www.drrevan.com/2011/12/patch-101-notes.html

They nerfed slicing

So most non-rich yield missions are turning negative returns and rich missions on average are returning 40% less credits per minute than before.

So if you want to continue to do slicing, only do it with rich missions, but don't expect as much of a return.

Excerpt from my blog

http://www.drrevan.com/2011/12/why-y...t-slicing.html

Why you should get slicing.

The profession system in Star Wars: The Old Republic is absolutely excellent. There are a small number of gathering professions, a large number of crafting, and a few "mission" skills which your companions can help you gather rarer items.

You can find some great guides to professions at http://www.starwarsmmolevelingguide.com/crafting-guide/

I'm not going to cover all of the professions, but I do want to talk about the slicing profession and why you should get it immediately instead of a mission skill.

When you pick up slicing, it grants you access to nodes found in the world which contain credit boxes. Right click on the credit box and you will get credits. Simple enough. You also will have the ability to send your companions to level up this profession as well. Simply choose the missions which give you lockboxes and you can and will earn credits. The initial missions cost 95 credits to send your companion, but I have received boxes with up to 300 credits in them. In my last mission yesterday, I sent my companion on a mission which cost 300 credits to get a lockbox with 1200 credits in it. Simply put, every few minutes you send your companions (you can send up to two at a time) to gather free credits for you. Do this as often as possible.

Now, at the highest level, it might be that slicing is a bad profession, but slicing will always provide you a steady income and for leveling that income will help you buy your speeder, gear, mods, and upgrades and low level rare items wont' sell as much since people outlevel everything pretty quickly. Once you reach level 50, you can consider dropping slicing to pick up a different mission skill related to your crafting skill since you will need the rare materials, but until then, free credits slicing is definitely the best way to go.

More evidence: I got slicing two days ago after I reached level 20 in game. I started with 10,000 credits. After playing for 6 hours and constantly sending two companions to do slicing, I now have 26,000 credits. Only about 3000 of that is from quests since most of the time I wasn't actually doing quests.

This is why you should go slicing while leveling and don't look back.

tldr; Slicing gives you credits. Credits are good. Get Slicing.
    Last edited by turlockmike; 2011-12-27 at 08:07 PM.
    Moonlife, Boomkin/Tree, Silvermoon, VTX

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Get slicing. And then get 2 mission skills. Start crafting @50 after stockpiling rare mats or pumping companion affection.

Agreed. I had 165k Cr when I got to level 25 from sending my companions slicing whenever I didn't need them around.

Great idea just spread this idea around then Bioware will end up nerfing it. /facepalm
    There must be no retirement with our backs to the wall, And believing in the justice of our cause, Each one of us must fight on to the end.

We determine the guilty, We decide the punishment.

Deleted
    Or just start crafting? I am lvl 29 now, got artifice as my main profession and am constantly selling epic hilts.. i am @ 240k ..

You may earn money with every profession ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    Great idea just spread this idea around then Bioware will end up nerfing it. /facepalm
    Bioware already nerfed Slicing. You should have seen it a few months ago

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Get slicing. And then get 2 mission skills. Start crafting @50 after stockpiling rare mats or pumping companion affection.
    Except this isn't WoW, and the items you make with crafting are actually worth your while during levelling and PvP.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    Bioware already nerfed Slicing. You should have seen it a few months ago
    True. Even after the nerf though, people in my guild are still raking in the cash. I don't mind it though. Those earning a ton of money from slicing have been spreading the wealth and helping other to level the crafting profs.

Quote Originally Posted by SarSil View Post
    Except this isn't WoW, and the items you make with crafting are actually worth your while during levelling and PvP.
    You're right, this isnt WoW. You can easily get a full set of level 20 gear (full PvE stats) from pvping. And before you ask, the level 20 stuff doesnt have expertise on it, and was still an upgrade over the gear I had from questing at 25/26. I could afford to purchase speeder training three times over at level 20 thanks to Slicing. None of the gear from crafting skills is BoP until max level. If you want the stuff those crafters make, just get slicing and buy it off them. Then when you hit 50 and have max slicing and a small fortune/yacht/villa, take up the tradeskill you want. I used my other 2 crew skill slots to take the gathering/mission skills for my desired endgame crafting skill. Easy.

Slicing is easy credits, but it isn't huge amounts. I maxxed Slicing at 25, and have had three guys going at it ever since, I'm now 37 and have gained a fair bit - but the rate that I get credits is never going to increase from it now, and it's about 9k / 30min, pretty sure that with other professions once you max out you'll be able to pull in more than that. 18k an hour might seem nice, but you quickly start getting lots of credits just from questing and stuff, and it becomes far less impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    Slicing is easy credits, but it isn't huge amounts. I maxxed Slicing at 25, and have had three guys going at it ever since, I'm now 37 and have gained a fair bit - but the rate that I get credits is never going to increase from it now, and it's about 9k / 30min, pretty sure that with other professions once you max out you'll be able to pull in more than that. 18k an hour might seem nice, but you quickly start getting lots of credits just from questing and stuff, and it becomes far less impressive.
    When everyone on the server hits level 50 and needs epic gear etc, slicing will become pretty bad because of inflation, but right now, the static amount of credits it provides is amazing. If you can find a niche market selling stuff on the AH, then definitely do it, but don't skip slicing. Always have it going at least on an alt or something. I will probably do slicing til i'm level 45 or so that way I can start gathering up rare items for crafting high level gear. One other idea is to get a ton of credits now, buy a ton of rare quality stuff, sell it in 2 months when inflation is really high....profit.

I don't agree with this at all. I have 260 armstech, 257 scavenging, and 190 investigation at level 32. At 25, I had more than enough credits for my speeder training (and speeder, but with the DD version of the game, I didn't need it). I now have over 100k credits again. Credits are bountiful, don't neglect your skills while leveling simply for a few extra needless credits, when you can make so much more by having your skills maxed right when you hit 50.

Quote Originally Posted by emidas View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. I have 260 armstech, 257 scavenging, and 190 investigation at level 32. At 25, I had more than enough credits for my speeder training (and speeder, but with the DD version of the game, I didn't need it). I now have over 100k credits again. Credits are bountiful, don't neglect your skills while leveling simply for a few extra needless credits, when you can make so much more by having your skills maxed right when you hit 50.
    Do you have 300,000 credits? No. All professions make lots of money. Slicing makes the most credits for now. Don't throw away your abilities since you are already 190, but for people just starting, slicing will end up making more money "while leveling".

I took slicing for augments to partner with cybertech so I can supply armoring / mod / augment stuff. The credits are nice, but I've maxed my slicing and the income from it isn't that amazing anymore. Yeah, it's better than paying to level a profession, but the amount it brings in doesn't compete with going out and questing anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    500k @ 40 though I spent on the mount so @ 250K atm or so... But have plenty of bioanalisis and scavenging shizz in cargo.

scaven, slice, bioana ftw!
    -K

Agreed, I've found many Craftables that I still use on my BH, and Creds come in easily with quests and bonus quests and all that hoopla. Plus my rare mats I can throw up fon the GTN and get some good money.

If you do take slicing, have some honor. Don't scan a slice object when someone is fighting & clearing the way to the object. Maybe that's what comes with playing an Imperial.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAxx View Post
    If you do take slicing, have some honor. Don't scan a slice object when someone is fighting & clearing the way to the object. Maybe that's what comes with playing an Imperial.
    That just comes with playing an online game. People like to get stuff as easily as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Slicing and Scavenging. Take advantage of the GTN not having much activity with people focusing on leveling. I'm able to sell all of the mats I get from scavenging with nearly no competition...I'm at 700,000 credits at level 41 (I have the 40 mount+training as well as all but one inventory expansion).

Deleted
    Slicing has its place, so does only picking gathering skills or going the more traditional crafting-gathering-mission route.

Truth is money is so ridiculously easy to come by in this game I don't feel like squeezing out the last credit in order to afford all the stuff I want to have...

On the other hand many crafting professions (actually... all of them probably) offer awesome advantages while leveling. My main character would be about 50% the fun leveling up 2/3 through PvP if I had not taken Biochem early and leveled it up relentlessly.